Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

So, "disruptive players" can reform, huh?

Took over a team that went 19-81 last year (seems I made the expansion draft a bit too punitive for the new teams). First order of business was to fix some serious clubhouse chemistry issues. I grabbed a "Captain" in free agency, that seemed to help a lot. We still suck this year but chemistry was just hovering in the good zone, with the Captain holding it all together.

So In the name of rebuilding I grabbed a free agent reliever about 1/4 way through the season who had a "disruptive" personality. I plan to flip him for whatever I can get near the trade deadline (he's really good). Sure enough, my clubhouse chemistry slowly slid into the unhappy zone. Not related to wins/losses, we've sucked since the start.

But a surprise: another player on the team got tagged as a "Captain". And now the reliever isn't "Disruptive" anymore and the morale is skyrocketing despite our sub-.300 season record.

I'm envisioning a players-only meeting, with fisticuffs.
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Is this true? Not to intentionally question what you are saying, GTH, but can player personalities change over time and under the good influences of certain players? Can players "break bad" under evil influences?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Personalities can change over time. It's probable that he was on the border and probably added a point or two to one of the variables that took him out of the disruptive category.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I've mentioned this before, but this thread merits another addition. I have, on more than one occasion, utilized a by-the-book bench coach with success in bringing a troublemaker around.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I've seen it go the other way around. A captain can drop down to just a leader.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
I've seen it go the other way around. A captain can drop down to just a leader.
And it also works the flip way too, where players can "grow into" captains or disruptive or other categories.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
beorn
All Star Starter

I've gotten the rough idea that sometimes minor league players who are captains are just leaders when they get to the major league team.

Is there some mechanism causing this? (It strikes as realistic) Or was this just chance, losing a point or two?
beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

I think Bru asked the question I was hinting at: can one player's troublemaking ratings actually be influenced by other players on the roster or is this just random fluctuation of a borderline troublemaker?

Also above endgame suggests bench coaches can influence it, which makes sense to me...

This all kind of makes me want to start a new game and assemble the biggest bunch of troublemakers and malcontents and see if I can unlock a whole new level of bad team chemistry...
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
I've mentioned this before, but this thread merits another addition. I have, on more than one occasion, utilized a by-the-book bench coach with success in bringing a troublemaker around.
Who are this Bench Coaches?? What kind of Personality do they have??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
Who are this Bench Coaches?? What kind of Personality do they have??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Look for "controlling" personalities.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorn View Post
I've gotten the rough idea that sometimes minor league players who are captains are just leaders when they get to the major league team.

Is there some mechanism causing this? (It strikes as realistic) Or was this just chance, losing a point or two?
each label for a personalty you see has certain requirements... maybe some minimums, maybe som maximums, depending onthe trait and the label.

if they are captains, it just means they have the attributes that fit "captain" in their personality.

Some encompass others too. e.g. a Captain also fits the requirements of other personality classes but with extras - higher on the pecking order so it's displayed over anything else it qualifies for.

So, a captain can easily slide into another category if he loses one of the many requirements or he gets too greedy/selfish/disloyal, or if he gets lazy and not caring about winning etc.. (if i got the negative traits mixed up, rely on the gui +common sense)

Maybe managers can help, but it's probably a drop in the bucket compared to the random nature personality seems to follow as it changes. probably more about their "handle vets" "handle players" "handle rookies" rating? i wouldn't be surprised if they have no influence either... you'd have to follow thousands of players and track their personality to have a glimmer of an idea.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote