Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 08-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Cole
Hall Of Famer

New Game Engine and Game Modes Give Franchise Hockey Manager 2 Unrivalled Realism and Customization

Here it is folks, the information you've been waiting for about our all new game engine. Our new blog is now live:

New Game Engine and Game Modes Give Franchise Hockey Manager 2 Unrivalled Realism and Customization
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
Cole
Hall Of Famer

And to add my own personal, less formal comments...

I love the different game modes... Again, as I mentioned before, I'm not normally much of a micromanager. By the same token, I'm not normally the type of guy (in OOTP, to compare) who is going to play out his games that often .. That being said, I do like the immersion factor that comes from being more involved in the day-to-day, game-to-game aspects of simming out games. With that in mind, I love the different options available here. It's really cool to be able to play through a game quite quickly .. choosing different methods of what you want to watch and thus how long you want to spend having games play out.

I personally really like the 'scoring summary' mode if I'm just wanting to get through things pretty quickly.. and for big games I'll probably use something like "all shots" ... It cuts down on time but is still pretty intense as it's just all the good action and keeps you quite connected to the game in terms of who is carrying the play (If your team takes 8 shots in a row for example and is buzzing around the zone) and overall the general flow of the game.

Anyway, I'm sure you will all find your own favorite modes, but that's my favorite part of all this, the customizability.. And of course, the realism of the results that are provided...

I've had such a wide range of various games... From star goalies getting shelled in complete off games, to them being completely dominate.. Teams falling flat, but still scratching out a few lucky goals ... Complete domination by certain teams, etc etc. It's really a lot of fun.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:30 AM   #3
Penfold75
Major Leagues

The screenshots of the new game engine shows a huge improvement over FHM2014. The in game experience in FHM2014 was extremely poor and one of the big disappointments for users who were probably used to the 2d experience from EHM. This looks like something to rival that or better it. Definite round of applause for the Dev team or am I just drowning out the sound of boot licking :-)
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #4
sprague
All Star Starter

Hey Cole

Will you be adding a second blog post coming up on this topic that shows a bit of how the match engine plays out, as in how the results of games tend to come out from the standpoint of goals, assists, penalties, type of plays and action that can be expected?

To see the way the engine is set up to reflect the game played itself.

Cheers
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 AM   #5
TheAdamBn
Minors (Triple A)

Definitely looking better, but there appears to be wasted space over on the right hand side of the screen that's a bit jarring (possibly a background issue).. especially since I can see that the 'H' in 'Even Strength' has been covered up
TheAdamBn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #6
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Is this the exact same game engine for FHM 2014?

Last edited by Orioles1966; 08-05-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdamBn View Post
Definitely looking better, but there appears to be wasted space over on the right hand side of the screen that's a bit jarring (possibly a background issue).. especially since I can see that the 'H' in 'Even Strength' has been covered up
Yeah, I think there are still some minor cosmetic issues on that screen to be handled in the near future.

I myself like the in-game presentation, for the most part. The 2-d animation of EHM was always lost on me for two reasons: One, because I prefer to read the play-by-play, and it was tough to read the commentary and follow the pixels at the same time; and two, because the 2-d was quirky much of the time, presenting unrealistic player actions.

Lots of stats on FHM's screen to keep you occupied during the game, and everything is easy to find. My only complaint has been the player info box in the lower right corner. Kind of unwieldly and a chore to use, but it fills the space No biggie. It's the execution of the game that matters, and this is well done, IMO.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
Crombeen
Minors (Triple A)

Looks definitely better this year, huge improvements. Although I hope if next year game will make it into development I hope they reserve some income of this year game for a solid UI designer because you can tell this game will be a pain in the * to play and navigate when you work on a trackpad, touch device, Wacom pen or generally anything else than a mouse on your computer.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't mind seeing the teams W-L record or standings instead of player info.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
Hey Cole

Will you be adding a second blog post coming up on this topic that shows a bit of how the match engine plays out, as in how the results of games tend to come out from the standpoint of goals, assists, penalties, type of plays and action that can be expected?

To see the way the engine is set up to reflect the game played itself.

Cheers
I wasn't planning on a second blog on the topic.. It's a bit difficult in still pictures to completely detail how this plays out.

And as for showing how games play out ... also a tall task, as much like real-life hockey, games can turn out in many fashions ... You can have close-checking defensive struggles where 1 or 2 goals is going to do it, or absolute offensive onslaughts. You can have disciplined games, or all-out penalty fests. Or anything in between ... The varied nature of real-life hockey games is well captured in the engine, IMO.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Is this the exact same game engine for FHM 2014?
The last I heard the engine will be ported over, and then final tweaks and whatnot will be made for the FHM 2 version based on FHM 2014 feedback and internal testing. When I know more about this that can be shared, I will be sure to.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I wasn't planning on a second blog on the topic.. It's a bit difficult in still pictures to completely detail how this plays out.

And as for showing how games play out ... also a tall task, as much like real-life hockey, games can turn out in many fashions ... You can have close-checking defensive struggles where 1 or 2 goals is going to do it, or absolute offensive onslaughts. You can have disciplined games, or all-out penalty fests. Or anything in between ... The varied nature of real-life hockey games is well captured in the engine, IMO.
Maybe in a simple way you could post up a few pics of boxscores\summeries that show such things, a 1-0 game, a 9-1 game, a penalty-fest, a long overtime...just to see that the various things are there and how they seem to then be presented in terms of goals-assists-penalty minutes-shots on goal.

I would find that interesting to take a look at, see how those stats were distributed within those outcomes
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
DirkGildun
Minors (Single A)

Cole,

Will you be able to save while simulating a game, close FHM, and then later start up FHM and go back into the game where you left off?

Thanks!
DirkGildun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Will the game stop after every period(optional) or can we play games all the way through without stopping?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Will the game stop after every period(optional) or can we play games all the way through without stopping?
The game stops at the end of each period. Or you can hit the button to sim to the end of the game and it will do so automatically without stopping (albeit at a fast pace, not one you can really see what's going on aside from quickly where the goals and shots are coming from).
Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #16
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGildun View Post
Cole,

Will you be able to save while simulating a game, close FHM, and then later start up FHM and go back into the game where you left off?

Thanks!
I don't believe so, but I've honestly never tried to quit mid-game before to see what will happen. I'll give it a shot tonight, but yeah, as far as I know, that's a no, sorry.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
SushamiBoy
Minors (Triple A)

We still have the option of straight up simulation and not have to enter into each game right?
SushamiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #18
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushamiBoy View Post
We still have the option of straight up simulation and not have to enter into each game right?
Of course. You can easily sim through entire days, weeks or months at a time if you wish without playing out any games.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #19
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

What about a 30-second sneak peek video of how it plays out? :-)
jonnycosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #20
scootermojo
Minors (Double A)

Since this blog showed the "box score" of the game I have a question: are we able to export those box scores to a file? If not, does the game keep track of goal, assist, point streaks? Or even track most goals, assists, points in a playoff series? I'm venturing a guess that it's a "no" to all of these questions since this is only the 2nd version of this game...regardless, I'm still buying this game immediately upon release and hopefully these features may be in future versions.
scootermojo is offline   Reply With Quote