Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

PLEASE--Nobody Lives to 300 years old--Please FIX!!

Markus,

Please come to your senses. It's totally dumb and unrealistic.

Thanks.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

A guy coaches for 25 years and sets the coaching record. I want to hire a coach and challenge that record. As it stands it's pointless. I can just coach forever.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
A guy coaches for 25 years and sets the coaching record. I want to hire a coach and challenge that record. As it stands it's pointless. I can just coach forever.
I fully support this, as long as it stays as an option and not mandatory.

I posted this in your other thread, but at least if you break Joe McCarthy's records and start another character, YOU know you did it. I go for those in every game I play.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Deaths for retired players is a good request. I suggest it should be put into OOTP16, with the following restrictions:

1. If at least 9 years of ML service time, Hall of Fame eligibility expired. If fewer than 9 years of ML service time, at least 10 years since retirement.
2. Not currently a coach for any team in the world, and no pending offers.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I'm not so sure about the Hall of Fame restriction in regards to eligibility. I think post-humous entry would be a nice touch, if infrequent.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Well, if you want to be really real about it, 88 players have died during the season, out of something like 79,629 player-seasons in which at least one game was played, which is something like one in 915. So you could have a 915:1 randomizer built in for every player-season that "this player might die this season". Or if you want to modernize the chances, 44 guys have died in 49,152 player-seasons since 1949 (i.e., after the wars), which is one in 1,117.

It would be a huge bummer to lose a player that way, but that would reflect a greater sense of reality. You wouldn't need a gruesome storyline for it, but it would be more real.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
ChiefWahoo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post

I would indeed like to see retired players and staff pass away (maybe only fictional ones, though, so as to be sensitive for real-life men); however, please do not make it mandatory for our GM to pass away. If I want to simulate 1,000 years of baseball in a saved game, leave us that ability please. Also, if players do pass away, please keep the FaceGen where it is now... with retired players' faces locking at the date of retirement. Thanks!
ChiefWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

As always...optional.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Ideally I Would prefer players to pass away, but the next best thing is change the word "Age" to "Born" only for retired players.
So instead of "Age: 169" it is "Born: 169 years ago"
Old 10-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Nice idea. Pair that with face-gen freeze at time of retirement and...bam! Every one is happy. Very smart.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Ideally I Would prefer players to pass away, but the next best thing is change the word "Age" to "Born" only for retired players.
That is probably a logical compromise.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure someone has brought this up, but can any code be written in which if retired=1, aging stops?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
I'm sure someone has brought this up, but can any code be written in which if retired=1, aging stops?

In iOOTP, all retired players except the HOFers, and those HOFers stop aging. They'll be inducted 50 years ago and say, "Age: 39", or something.

So it's definitely possible, but then if the player becomes a coach, do they stay 40 forvever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #14
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
In iOOTP, all retired players except the HOFers, and those HOFers stop aging. They'll be inducted 50 years ago and say, "Age: 39", or something.

So it's definitely possible, but then if the player becomes a coach, do they stay 40 forvever?
I would think there would be a way to determine whether a coach is retired or active, same as a player.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Great idea and here is my addition

Pickable storylines about a superstar passing away...could be 3 or 4 generic storylines (long term disease,old age,accident,gone too soon disease). If I want Mickey Mantle to pass away due to kidney failure and then personalize it, I should be able to choose that in the player profile dropdown. Make it "Memorial story"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #16
professor ape
All Star Starter

I know that there has been an aversion by the development team to address this morbid topic but it is a part of life and of the game of baseball. You can readily find the current probabilities of death at various ages so you could have a very simple randomizer to determine when a player passes away. Life expectancy should follow real life and be increasing slowly.
Again, while morbid, I would add the following toggles:

Death (on/off) -Ssome people may not want it at all
Active Players - Ability to toggle off the possibility of active players dying
Active Coaches/Scouts - Same for coaches
Active Owners - Same for owners
HOF Eligible - Same for players which are currently eligible for the HOF. If HOF players are set to be able to die while HOF eligible the a "death bump" toggle would be good. It is a real thing IRL.
Stories (on/off) - Toggle whether there is a story and/or cause of death provided (morbidity factor). When off there could be a generic note.

Regarding the photo conversation, I would have three photo 'slots' for each player. First would be the 'current age' photo which would be used for any active players or coaches. The 'retired' slot would be displayed for any player who is officially retired. My ideal would be to have this be a cached photo of the player when they had their best season. At the end of a season the system would simply check if the player's WAR is greater than past seasons, If 'yes', then the current photo is saved over the previous picture. If 'no' then the previously cached picture persists.
Similarly for coaches and other staff, the third slot would cache the picture from the best season they had in their highest position (e.g. a guy who coaches for 15 years on strong teams but manages on year for a weak team would have their managerial picture cached).
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #17
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

Players should be allowed to pass on....it must be hell becoming ever more sick and decrepit.In reality death eventually becomes a kind of salvation as the body gradually loses its abiltiy to function normally.These ex pros are condemned to a life of eternal suffering without end.Shameful.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #18
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

One of the few things that annoys me about OOTP are all the facegen inconsistencies...nothing ever gets done about it...for example the mess that is the championship page where winning teams are in a variey of seemingly random shirts.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #19
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
I would indeed like to see retired players and staff pass away (maybe only fictional ones, though, so as to be sensitive for real-life men); however, please do not make it mandatory for our GM to pass away. If I want to simulate 1,000 years of baseball in a saved game, leave us that ability please. Also, if players do pass away, please keep the FaceGen where it is now... with retired players' faces locking at the date of retirement. Thanks!
It's a game why do we have to be PC about it. Death happens. So Oscar Tavares (RIP) lives to be 900 but billy bob fictional man dies at 22 in the off season after putting up reasonable numbers in his rookie season. I don't see a difference the game is a game not real life.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #20
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
It's a game why do we have to be PC about it. Death happens. So Oscar Tavares (RIP) lives to be 900 but billy bob fictional man dies at 22 in the off season after putting up reasonable numbers in his rookie season. I don't see a difference the game is a game not real life.
To be fair, the game does already set certain storylines so they can't happen to real players, so it wouldn't be any more "PC" than it already is.

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 11-18-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: made the wording clearer
Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote