Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
gehrig38
Hall Of Famer

New stats I would LOVE to see tracked

Guys,
I am just updating this as I play because there are so many little things that come up. Here's another:

NEW ONE: This one's all cosmetic. I'm an avid fictional league guy and have a 25+ year thread up and running. To that end is there any way to 'clean up' the text in this game? All the orphan words on a line by themselves, why can't a trade of any size be presented in a format that isn't clearly screwed up? Fonts are misaligned, the same screen is never laid out the same way twice it seems. This is all low end priority stuff but stuff I would expect a piece of software on it's, what 9th? iteration, to have cleaned up.

I REALLY want to see changes to players scouted for the draft. When I send my cross checker or head scout to see a player, I want to see what's different (which means I'd actually like something TO be different) Maybe great scouts get the players scores closer to reality, bad ones farther? But scouting should return SOMETHING, good or bad.

Can you put a teams record on the schedule? On my teams schedule I'd love to see the opponents record, and maybe even in () their record this season vs me

When trading draft picks, allow me to pick a draft choice, when I have multiple picks in a round, or the team I am trading with does.

Grand Slams
Lead off Home Runs
WAlk off hits
10k+ games
1, 2, 3 hitters

I'd like to see a news item for game scores of 90+, hitting and pitching, and a special news item for game scores over 100

Post season series MVPs

Like to see history page show WS games:
Chicago Iron Pigs (4) San Antonio Silver Stars (2)

Also like, in dark skin, to have winners some other color than 'bolded blue', can't see it. Can't tell who it is in many cases.

Season ending award voting with more than the top 3 guys in each category and a player not for guys that finish in the top of the voting

Pitchers recognized as triple crown winners with hitters

Game feature I would like to see
Better AI with regards to end of the year starting pitchers and post season series, when a team has clinched don't pitch their ace on the seasons final day with a playoff series starting in 2 days

Better AI manager/bench coach lineup and depth chart management in the big leagues and minors

Please allow me to set a league wide 'limit' on how many pitchers a starter is allowed to throw, to stop guys from pitching 12 innings and throwing 151 pitches

I'd really like to see the GM's have more 'personality' and have that personality be known, like owners.
Trader, prospect lover, hates veterans, always looking for pitching etc...

The Alaska Avalanche 2024-2030 Moving on to my birthplace

The San Antonio Silver Stars 2030-2034 From one big state, Alaska, to another, Texas!

Last edited by gehrig38; 12-03-2013 at 11:48 AM.
gehrig38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrig38 View Post
Better AI with regards to end of the year starting pitchers and post season series, when a team has clinched don't pitch their ace on the seasons final day with a playoff series starting in 2 days
This is a priority
fromtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Grand Slams
Lead off Home Runs
WAlk off hits
10k+ games
1, 2, 3 hitters

I'd like to see a news item for game scores of 90+, hitting and pitching, and a special news item for game scores over 100

Post season series MVPs

Season ending award voting with more than the top 3 guys in each category

Better AI manager/bench coach lineup and depth chart management in the big leagues and minors

Please allow me to set a league wide 'limit' on how many pitchers a starter is allowed to throw, to stop guys from pitching 12 innings and throwing 151 pitches

I'd really like to see the GM's have more 'personality' and have that personality be known, like owners.
Trader, prospect lover, hates veterans, always looking for pitching etc...
Huge advocate of grand slams. My list also includes the return of Inherited Runs Scored (%) and notations if a pitcher fell in the top 3 Cy Young voting. Given your history, Curt, did anyone 'in' the loop look at the Inherited Runs Scored data? Was it meaningful in practice at all? I found it exceptionally useful in evaluating relief quality. It still appears in box scores, but no totals anywhere. Would you find it meaningful? Thanks in advance for any input.

Oh, and also on the pitching note, you must be an advocate of including pitchers in the Triple Crown accomplishment histories, right?
Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
gehrig38
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Huge advocate of grand slams. My list also includes the return of Inherited Runs Scored (%) and notations if a pitcher fell in the top 3 Cy Young voting. Given your history, Curt, did anyone 'in' the loop look at the Inherited Runs Scored data? Was it meaningful in practice at all? I found it exceptionally useful in evaluating relief quality. It still appears in box scores, but no totals anywhere. Would you find it meaningful? Thanks in advance for any input.

Oh, and also on the pitching note, you must be an advocate of including pitchers in the Triple Crown accomplishment histories, right?
Honestly, with rare exceptions I bought into Theo's theory on relievers. They're the most un-trustworthy performers in the game. One year 5.43 ERA, the next 1.15. Fernando Rodney great example.
With rare exceptions you can build a new bullpen almost every year, hell look at Tampa.
With that in mind IR and IR scored is a great stat to show a good or bad year, but I have NO idea if it's a performance projector...

The Alaska Avalanche 2024-2030 Moving on to my birthplace

The San Antonio Silver Stars 2030-2034 From one big state, Alaska, to another, Texas!

gehrig38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Honestly, with rare exceptions I bought into Theo's theory on relievers. They're the most un-trustworthy performers in the game. One year 5.43 ERA, the next 1.15. Fernando Rodney great example.
With rare exceptions you can build a new bullpen almost every year, hell look at Tampa.
With that in mind IR and IR scored is a great stat to show a good or bad year, but I have NO idea if it's a performance projector...
Even though I agree 100% with this, I'm still a huge advocate for IR stats, because, quite simply, I see no reason NOT to include them. Same thing with every stat listed in the opening post. This is baseball. More stats = good.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

That 5.43 middle reliever ERA could be the result of couple of horrid outings and given the fact that a reliever only logs anywhere from 40 to 70 innings a season, it, at times, can be deceptive and difficult to then lower.

There are 'Quality Starts' for starters and now, perhaps, there should be a statistic like 'QRA' = Quality Relief Appearance.

Of course, sometimes a reliever is truly horrid one season and brilliant the next.

What does Bill James have to say on the matter? (projecting the performance of a reliever from year to year)
Up here in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up here in Canada View Post
There are 'Quality Starts' for starters and now, perhaps, there should be a statistic like 'QRA' = Quality Relief Appearance.
Shutdowns and Meltdowns fill that role, but they're based on WPA, rather than an absolute number like QS. Since OOTP doesn't track any of the WPA based stats at the moment, that isn't terribly helpful.
blasek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
le receveur
All Star Starter

on stats, one thing i would love is for OOTP to allow us to make editorial comments on some stats and allow us to remove them, like the Saves- but i guess that would break the arbitration engine
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasek0 View Post
Shutdowns and Meltdowns fill that role, but they're based on WPA, rather than an absolute number like QS. Since OOTP doesn't track any of the WPA based stats at the moment, that isn't terribly helpful.
I would like to see WPA added to the game, and an option to view the WPA chart along with the box score. Something like this

Red Sox » Win Probability » Wednesday, October 30, 2013 | FanGraphs Baseball
Old 11-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtheline View Post
I would like to see WPA added to the game, and an option to view the WPA chart along with the box score. Something like this

Red Sox » Win Probability » Wednesday, October 30, 2013 | FanGraphs Baseball
Win probability is in OOTP now.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
If only instead of showing it at the top of the baseball field in gameplay, it could show it in the game log after each at-bat.

Then there could be a player WPA, and therefore could track shutdowns and meltdowns.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
If only instead of showing it at the top of the baseball field in gameplay, it could show it in the game log after each at-bat.

Then there could be a player WPA, and therefore could track shutdowns and meltdowns.
That was my only real point is that individual player WPA isn't tracked.
blasek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasek0 View Post
That was my only real point is that individual player WPA isn't tracked.
It shouldn't be hard to track individual player WPA. My point being since the WPA is dynamically updated in game, if only it could save it for each at-bat. Then it would be easy to track individual player WPA.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Marinersfan51
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
notations if a pitcher fell in the top 3 Cy Young voting
This, and top 3 for all awards
Marinersfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

I still wish batters BABIP was in the game and on the front page of player profile. Also want batters WAR on front page of player profile.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #16
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
I still wish batters BABIP was in the game and on the front page of player profile. Also want batters WAR on front page of player profile.
This. It's weird that pitcher WAR is there but batter WAR isn't.

I just thought about this, and it would be nice to see how many teammates a batter left on bace (LOB). It's in the boxscores already.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #17
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Just remembered that it doesn't start at 50/50 prior to the first pitch. This may be a problem.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just remembered that it doesn't start at 50/50 prior to the first pitch. This may be a problem.
What is where it starts actually based on? Prior record or something else?

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
What is where it starts actually based on? Prior record or something else?
i thought it didn't start at 50/50 because of home field advantage. I could be wrong (dont have ootp on my work computer to check) but I'm pretty sure the home team always has the higher win prob at the beginning of the game
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Seems like it's strictly on home field advantage. I've just played a few games and the away team starts at 46.08% while the home team starts at 53.92%. A 7.84% home-field advantage it is.

Last edited by fromtheline; 12-02-2013 at 04:41 PM.