Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
markprior22
All Star Starter

Thinking I'm about done

I've been a fervent player of OOTP since 1998. I've probably let it become too big a part of my life. It's what I do with just about all my "down time." But I'm so frustrated right now that I'm about to call it quits.

I have a fictional MLB universe that I started in ver 13. I had a problem not long before 14 came out where the game crashed constantly after I demoted a player. I didn't have the game backed up so I was stuck at that point. I tried everything I could think of to resolve the situation but nothing worked. I PM'd Markus and asked if he would please take a look at the file I sent because I thought this would be something worth definitely taking a look at before '14 came out. He explained he was busy but if I sent the file, he would give it a look. I sent the file, waited a while and received no response. I contacted Markus again and he said he would look at it. Never received any response. Since I was left to handle this on my own, I finally solved it by giving the player (teams #2 prospect) a career ending injury. Really bull**** that I had to do that but at least it got me over the hump.

So, now I'm in the next season (late June), make a roster move and now the game is crashing again. I can sim the day, but if I try to play out the game, it eventually crashes. Haven't made it past the 4th inning. In the past crash, I knew what player was causing the problem...this time I don't.

I've also got a player on my active roster that has the # designation that he is eligible for rule five draft. Why would that be when he is on my active roster?

I rolled back to update #2...same problem. Opened in trace file mode...created zip file and tried to submit a ticket. Twice while trying to complete the ticket, I get internal sever error message. I give up for now.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Mark, don't give up. Instead, realize that it's not the game but a corrupt league file. Ok, it's the game creating a corrupt league file, but it's a rare situation or else it would be all over these boards.

Markus should have replied to you with finality, yes. Maybe he will get back to you after his vacation. However, it's not surprising to me that he could not find the problem, if indeed he tried. This is a complicated piece of programming.

Again, I would not trash the game. It's too valuable a pastime to discard it because a file became corrupt somehow. My previous league lasted 62 seasons before I, too, finally incurred a problem and I think I helped that along by switching back and forth between leagues too often. Moreover, if I had BACKED IT UP promptly, I might still have my league. As it was, I did not want to repeat the past seven or eight seasons with my last backup.

So, I started a new league and I'm having as much fun as before. The game is stable and solid, so far, in version 14. Please rethink your decision.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, frustrations like these are difficult to deal with without despairing. It's a shame when these incidents occur, and battling them leads to more frustrations. I hear you. Could you maybe point me to your league file name and, given time, I'll try to have a look, but it's obvious, on the surface at least, it may indeed be a function of either a corruption or something in the game coding that I won't be able to discern. It won't prevent me from having a look, though. Post here or PM me with details.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I've also got a player on my active roster that has the # designation that he is eligible for rule five draft. Why would that be when he is on my active roster?
I see this with a couple of players each year in an on-line league I am in. I've seen it in v12, v13 and v14. I think it somehow happens with a player that spends some time on the DL.

I check the league each season before the Rule V draft and post a message. When you see such a player you can just add him to your 40-man roster and you are good to go.

Would be nice if the issue would finally get fixed (I think the last time I reported it was in v13).
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
I see this with a couple of players each year in an on-line league I am in. I've seen it in v12, v13 and v14. I think it somehow happens with a player that spends some time on the DL.

I check the league each season before the Rule V draft and post a message. When you see such a player you can just add him to your 40-man roster and you are good to go.

Would be nice if the issue would finally get fixed (I think the last time I reported it was in v13).
Thanks for the input. If I'm able to get the league file name, aside from looking at it, I'll put it proper into the reporting format with a high priority so I can be sure it does get a look from Markus. All I can do.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Okay Mark, I could have PM'd you, but I wanted to make sure you saw this pic after my first run through. Long story short, I can reproduce the problem. It crashes while playing out games periodically as far as I can tell, repeating the enter key one bat at a time. I want to point out, too, that imported leagues often have a pretty deep history, including changes made along the way, often during creation or early creation process, so I normally will run a Purge to clean up data taking up space, but no longer really there. See pic. After the Purge, I thought the game performed pretty well, and I would suggest you do it, but finally after a few days, I was able to get it to crash every game, really, if I hurried the enter key. I'll keep looking at it, but it will get in line for Markus, if I can't find anything else out. Sorry I didn't have great news. Yet. Hang in there.
Attached Images
Old 05-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
There is one way I know of to get a guy onto a 25-man roster without putting him on the 40-man roster: if you go into Commissioner mode, and assign a player to a new big league team, the guy can get added to an active roster but not the secondary roster. That's certainly a bug, and one that's been around for years. I'm not sure if this situation can crop up any other way.

I've been meaning to check if this bug still exists in OOTP-14, and if so, to log it in the bug tracker. But if anyone else has time to look into it and can confirm the bug is still present in OOTP14, I'll log it and ask Markus to look into fixing it.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Thinking I'm about done

What is this purge thing and what does it do? Clear out everything in your league? Defunct teams only?

I am always interested in knowing what to do to help my league be solid and growing for seasons.

Thanks in advance
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
What is this purge thing and what does it do? Clear out everything in your league? Defunct teams only?

I am always interested in knowing what to do to help my league be solid and growing for seasons.

Thanks in advance
When you delete a player, league or team in OOTP it isn't really deleted, the info is still left behind. Over time this can cause issues in large, complex leagues. The purge tool actually deletes all those fragments of deleted data, making things run much, much better and smoother.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post

Thanks in advance

Follow up Question: Where can I find this tool. I have a beastly league of about 40 years imported over the last couple versions. It probably needs some cleanup.

For a franchise I've bought every game from for over ten years I'm constantly amazed at how often I learn about things this game has that I never knew existed.

Last edited by ihatenames; 05-31-2013 at 06:16 PM.
ihatenames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
Follow up Question: Where can I find this tool. I have a beastly league of about 40 years imported over the last couple versions. It probably needs some cleanup.

For a franchise I've bought every game from for over ten years I'm constantly amazed at how often I learn about things this game has that I never knew existed.
You'll find directions in this thread. Sorry, don't feel like typing everything over again
Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
You'll find directions in this thread. Sorry, don't feel like typing everything over again
No worries that's good enough for me! Thanks you sir
Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Wow. I swear, you can learn something new everyday about this game.

- Bru

Old 06-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

ALWAYS BACKUP. Don't even use the backup system within OOTP. Copy the league file to another folder.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

Quote:
When you delete a player, league or team in OOTP it isn't really deleted, the info is still left behind. Over time this can cause issues in large, complex leagues. The purge tool actually deletes all those fragments of deleted data, making things run much, much better and smoother.
This is my OOTP game started in 12 and been playing since 81 and i have removed teams and added teams and removed more it worked in OOTP 13 but in 14 it uses up so much Physical Memory that it crashes and i have to make ssure i save some times during the week if my sim stops and it crashes at the end of saving also sometimes. I got a hard drive to remove 350GB of stuff and it still crashes. Would using this tool help me.
Attached Images

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Rocks View Post
This is my OOTP game started in 12 and been playing since 81 and i have removed teams and added teams and removed more it worked in OOTP 13 but in 14 it uses up so much Physical Memory that it crashes and i have to make ssure i save some times during the week if my sim stops and it crashes at the end of saving also sometimes. I got a hard drive to remove 350GB of stuff and it still crashes. Would using this tool help me.
Yes! No doubt. Your kind of universe is really what the tool is made for. For smaller universes without a lot of changes, it's not really needed, the deleted stuff doesn't mess anything up. But once the uni gets really big it's always a good idea to run the purge tool.

EDIT: Removed the statement about losing league histories since it isn't true.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 06-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

Yes I saw that in your other post and I might hold off on that for a sec cause I am a extremely History biased player but I did import my league with no history from 12 to 13 but that was 40 game years ago so maybe after this season since i'm doing some major changes I will run the tool, and from what other people are saying its not my computer its the game, Also thank you for your reply I didn't know what it did so I never thought I would ever need it.
I was thinking about cutting it down in 2050 and giving somebody a good quick start league.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just be aware that you will lose your player history text files, since the tool renumbers all the player ids but doesn't do so for the history files.
This would bother me. Therefore, the purge tool, to me, is on the list of resources to be used only in the case of difficulties, not regularly.

- Bru

Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Yes! No doubt. Your kind of universe is really what the tool is made for. For smaller universes without a lot of changes, it's not really needed, the deleted stuff doesn't mess anything up. But once the uni gets really big it's always a good idea to run the purge tool.

Just be aware that you will lose your player history text files, since the tool renumbers all the player ids but doesn't do so for the history files.

Stats and league history will be ok, just the player histories with the draft position, etc. will get messed up. That's unless someone else can tell you how to save them. I don't know how to.
Having to lose your player history is messed up.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
endgame
Hall Of Famer

My understanding is that histories and such are not issues for the solo player, but may be html issues with reports posted to web pages, e.g. onliners. Even that is unclear to me, but I will look into it and gather more information. Suffice to say I have used it in my leagues with no adverse effect. More later.