Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #41
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

I don't know what the reason is, but for the Blues historical challenge, I finished the 69-70 season and had 1 win in the Finals during the 68-69 season so thought I should get the achievement. Instead nothing's happened, everything's just continued on like normal even entering the new league year of 70-71. Shouldn't it have come up already that I completed it? I got an achievement for pulling a playoff series upset (but I had that one previously, so I don't know why it came up again) but nothing on the challenge.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #42
skoch
Minors (Single A)

In a 2015 game, shop player doesn't work, put up a 4 talent 4 potential on the shopping block and not a single offer? that ain't right! and the rosters are extremely small, my particular team only has 25 contracts...

Last edited by skoch; 11-21-2017 at 11:36 PM.
skoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:55 AM   #43
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

I just noticed in a mid-90s historical game (starting with the Coyotes challenge) that when a team loses in OT, it credits them as losing twice in the home/road column on the standings. Example being Chicago lost in OT on the road, and now it says 0-3 on the road (when they're really only 0-2.) Something seems wrong in how it calculates OTLs in the era when ties were still a thing and you got no points for losing in overtime from my guess.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:22 AM   #44
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoch View Post
Started a game in 1981, only allows 19 players to be dressed, is this a thing?!? thanks
That's what the rule was in 1981. It changed to 20 the next season (and will do so in the game.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:26 AM   #45
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord PichuPal View Post
I don't know what the reason is, but for the Blues historical challenge, I finished the 69-70 season and had 1 win in the Finals during the 68-69 season so thought I should get the achievement. Instead nothing's happened, everything's just continued on like normal even entering the new league year of 70-71. Shouldn't it have come up already that I completed it? I got an achievement for pulling a playoff series upset (but I had that one previously, so I don't know why it came up again) but nothing on the challenge.
Yeah, you should've gotten the achievement at the end of 1969. We'll check the criteria on that one, something may be defined incorrectly there.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:52 AM   #46
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
In a 2015 game, shop player doesn't work, put up a 4 talent 4 potential on the shopping block and not a single offer? that ain't right! and the rosters are extremely small, my particular team only has 25 contracts...
After a little experimenting, it looks like the request offer system is having some trouble with the cap-era historical years. Seems to work fine before that, but something's throwing it off post-2005. It's still working in some cases (e.g. I was able to get offers for Phil Kessel in a 2015 game), but something's making the AI reluctant to make offers in games started in the last decade. We'll do some more investigating.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:54 AM   #47
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
Jeff—any thoughts on my suggestion to provide an option to remove Facegen images from the Player Info popups? (See previous page for more)
We'll think about it, but it probably would need to be optional, since some people would want them. And at that point, it begins to overlap with the option of just turning them off entirely.

Last edited by JeffR; 11-22-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:55 AM   #48
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord PichuPal View Post
I just noticed in a mid-90s historical game (starting with the Coyotes challenge) that when a team loses in OT, it credits them as losing twice in the home/road column on the standings. Example being Chicago lost in OT on the road, and now it says 0-3 on the road (when they're really only 0-2.) Something seems wrong in how it calculates OTLs in the era when ties were still a thing and you got no points for losing in overtime from my guess.
Ah, I think that was a problem in the main w/l columns at one point, the fix must have missed the home/away columns. Should be easy enough to change.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #49
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Ah, I think that was a problem in the main w/l columns at one point, the fix must have missed the home/away columns. Should be easy enough to change.
Do you think it may be tied to another "issue" that I noticed where I play in the 90's as well, and in the news report for a tie game it will say for example "Lemieux had a great game in a 6-6 loss to Washington" ?

It also reports wrong for my monthly report where I would have 1 tie for the month, but the report would say "4-7-3" for that month. It's as if the engine is running the simulation for modern day (since no ties now) in the back end and reporting those in the news items (actual standings are not affected, thankfully).

Just looks like there might be a correlation between the two...hope that helps.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #50
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
We'll think about it, but it probably would need to be optional, since some people would want them. And at that point, it begins to overlap with the option of just turning them off entirely.
Not sure I agree—displaying the Facegen image causes lag but provides no useful information, it’s entirely aesthetic. However, the rest of the Player Info popup provides a ton of useful information at a glance.

I think having these two options would be complimentary. If you want to remove the lag but keep the info, disable Facegen in the popups. If you’re not bothered about the info at all, disable the popup.
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #51
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
Do you think it may be tied to another "issue" that I noticed where I play in the 90's as well, and in the news report for a tie game it will say for example "Lemieux had a great game in a 6-6 loss to Washington" ?

It also reports wrong for my monthly report where I would have 1 tie for the month, but the report would say "4-7-3" for that month. It's as if the engine is running the simulation for modern day (since no ties now) in the back end and reporting those in the news items (actual standings are not affected, thankfully).

Just looks like there might be a correlation between the two...hope that helps.
The first part is a separate issue, it looks like there's a missing "tie" version of the big game news articles. The second one, though, if not directly related, may have similar origins. We'll try to get both fixed.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #52
Righty Groove
Minors (Triple A)

Is there any change to Steve Yzerman? He's absolutely rubbish as an 18 year old in the 1983 draft (I believe it's '83). His potential is there, but he's terrible, when in fact, he should be very good already at 18.

Dennis Savard, Paul Coffey, Ray Bourque, Doug Gilmour, they don't have the same problem, for example, and are contributors right away. Yzerman is a minor leaguer.
Righty Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #53
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty Groove View Post
Is there any change to Steve Yzerman? He's absolutely rubbish as an 18 year old in the 1983 draft (I believe it's '83). His potential is there, but he's terrible, when in fact, he should be very good already at 18.

Dennis Savard, Paul Coffey, Ray Bourque, Doug Gilmour, they don't have the same problem, for example, and are contributors right away. Yzerman is a minor leaguer.
Not yet, I only adjusted the short list of guys mentioned in the notes for this update. I've been adding more since then, I'll take a look at all of the above guys. Bear in mind, though, that unless you're use annual recalculation, there's still going to be a lot of room for variation in the level the player arrives in the league at.

Edit: thinking about it, I see a little flaw in the way the development routines work for guys with long careers at a high level of play, that'd affect the way they look in early seasons. I'll see if we can tweak that a bit.

Last edited by JeffR; 11-22-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #54
Righty Groove
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Not yet, I only adjusted the short list of guys mentioned in the notes for this update. I've been adding more since then, I'll take a look at all of the above guys. Bear in mind, though, that unless you're use annual recalculation, there's still going to be a lot of room for variation in the level the player arrives in the league at.

Edit: thinking about it, I see a little flaw in the way the development routines work for guys with long careers at a high level of play, that'd affect the way they look in early seasons. I'll see if we can tweak that a bit.
Thanks. I am using the development engine. Yzerman is the one that stands out. All other guys I mentioned (and there are other examples, liek Andreychuk, Ciccarello, Lemieux, Gartner, Bossy, etc) are all fine.
Righty Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #55
skoch
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
After a little experimenting, it looks like the request offer system is having some trouble with the cap-era historical years. Seems to work fine before that, but something's throwing it off post-2005. It's still working in some cases (e.g. I was able to get offers for Phil Kessel in a 2015 game), but something's making the AI reluctant to make offers in games started in the last decade. We'll do some more investigating.
So as long as I start the game pre-2005, the shopping system will work as it is supposed to? thanks
skoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #56
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
So as long as I start the game pre-2005, the shopping system will work as it is supposed to? thanks
Yeah, with a pre-2005 it'll work well in the pre-2005 years, and 2005 and later seem to get slightly fewer offers, but still a reasonable number. The problem is apparently limited to 2005+ starts, and appears to be worse the closer you are to the start of the game - after a couple of seasons of play, I get more offers.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #57
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

First, I just want to say the player comparison feature makes playing this game significantly more fun and less of a hassle. Thank you for that! Incredible how one feature has made it so much more enjoyable.

I do have one problem to mention. I started a new game, and I can't select supplementary roles for my players. The option on the players' screen isn't there and if you try via the roster screen the option is greyed out.

Also, there's a confusing UI error on the tactics screen. On the powerplay tactics screen, the defensive pairings are Point and Defenceman, but on the part where the player name appears, under Point it says D and under Defenceman it says P. I'm not sure which is which.

Sticking with tactics, I really wish for things like 4v4, 3v3, 4v3, 4v5, and 3v5 instead of Forward the positions were Centre and Winger or something. How does the game decide which 'Forward' is the player to take faceoffs on the penalty kill, for example? I've been assuming since forever that the first forward slot is for centre and the second is for the winger.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:48 AM   #58
JeffR
FHM Producer

Is Change Major Role still working properly, or is it greyed out as well? What kind of game are you playing (modern/historical/custom, challenge mode on or off)?

The Point/Defender headings on the pairings section of the tactic screen are a bit misleading, it's a holdover from prior to the new tactics system. They're both effectively "Point" spots now, a forward or a defenceman will work in either/both of them. We'll have to fix the wording there.

The game will use the player with the best faceoff skill to take the faceoff, you don't need to have them in a specific slot.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #59
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Is Change Major Role still working properly, or is it greyed out as well? What kind of game are you playing (modern/historical/custom, challenge mode on or off)?

The Point/Defender headings on the pairings section of the tactic screen are a bit misleading, it's a holdover from prior to the new tactics system. They're both effectively "Point" spots now, a forward or a defenceman will work in either/both of them. We'll have to fix the wording there.

The game will use the player with the best faceoff skill to take the faceoff, you don't need to have them in a specific slot.
Major roles are still working. I'm playing modern mode with challenge mode off.

Thanks for clarifying the lineup selections.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:56 AM   #60
JeffR
FHM Producer

I can't seem to replicate that. Can you upload the save where the supplementary roles option is greyed out? Instructions here. Maybe that'll tell us what's going on.