Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Saul Goodman
Minors (Double A)

Trade after deadline?

About a month after the trade deadline came up in my newsfeed that Dodgers and Giants made a trade.

Not really sure the rule on this, but thought there is no trading after the deadline? Or is there a exception to this?

It's a OOTP13 game that I imported to OOTP14 in the middle of the 2020 season for what it's worth.
Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
About a month after the trade deadline came up in my newsfeed that Dodgers and Giants made a trade.

Not really sure the rule on this, but thought there is no trading after the deadline? Or is there a exception to this?

It's a OOTP13 game that I imported to OOTP14 in the middle of the 2020 season for what it's worth.
Post deadline waiver trades have been in MLB for decades it seems. Players are placed on waivers and there is a silent agreement that teams will not generally claim a player. I think a few trades have been blocked but most go through. The Dodgers/Red Sox trade of last season is an ideal example.

What's more shocking in your scenario is the trade within division. I wish OOTP had a sub-routine that made such trades almost impossible.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Trades can be made after the deadline if all players involved clear waivers. The game actually informs you of this when you hit the deadline. That's exactly how it works in the MLB, too. Remember this one:

Boston Red Sox send Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford to Los Angeles Dodgers in blockbuster trade - ESPN

EDIT: Beaten to the punch!
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Well I don't think this is allowed in MLB rules:

BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

in real life you can trade within one league without waviers but if you trade from American league to National League then you have waviers issue to deal with. In this game they have you put each player on Waviers no matter which way you go after August 1. Although the game is currently making me wonder perhaps that rule got changed this season. So I will be watching carefully this season in real life.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Contrary to popular opinion (and ootp Baseball), there is absolutely nothing in MLB rules that forbid players from being traded when they are injured...It's kind of like the unwritten "don't claim this player I want to trade him" rule. While it doesn't happen very often it is perfectly legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post

“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I have made two trades dealing with a player that's injured
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
in real life you can trade within one league without waviers but if you trade from American league to National League then you have waviers issue to deal with. In this game they have you put each player on Waviers no matter which way you go after August 1. Although the game is currently making me wonder perhaps that rule got changed this season. So I will be watching carefully this season in real life.
I'm pretty sure that's not true. As far as I can remember, in the modern era, there's never been a difference between trading within or cross leagues. It's no waivers before the deadline, and waivers after.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 06-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
It's allowed in real life but not normally in OOTP. This is a separate issue from the OP but worth discussion in another thread. I wish I could check this out but I can't play v14 due to the no HBP issue.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 06-01-2013 at 08:14 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
It's allowed in real life but not normally in OOTP. This is a separate issue from the OP but worth discussion in another thread. I wish I could check this out but I can't play v14 due to the no HBP issue.

Actually if you read the date of the trade it was made AFTER the trading deadline so it is very much part of the OP.

And none of the players involved were ever placed on waivers prior to the trade.

Last edited by BusterKing; 06-01-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I think he meant the "trading an injured player" part.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #12
Saul Goodman
Minors (Double A)

So a trade is allowed after the deadline if all the players eligible for waivers clear before trade is completed?

Looked at transactions log, and the major league player was put on waivers a couple of days before trade was completed. But none of the minor league players were, which I assume is because minor leaguers don't have to be exposed to waivers before a certain point (before minor leaguers were 23 years old)
Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #13
tejdog1
All Star Starter

You make the trade, both GMs accept it, then the players are automatically placed on waivers, and if they all clear, the trade goes through. That's how OOTP does it.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Did you change Trade Deadline Date? Also Felix Hernandez would be the only one needing to be placed on Waviers assuming Kyle Zimmer was still in the Minors.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

For post trade deadline deal all player on a team's 40-man roster must clear waivers. Players not on the 40-man roster do not have to clear waivers. This is how it works in OOTP and I believe that is the rule IRL.

Since Hernandez was on the 60-day DL, and hence not on the 40-man roster, no waivers were required by the game. I don't know how this is supposed to be done IRL but I highly doubt that MLB would allow it without Hernandez clearing waivers.

I always heard that IRL players on the DL could not be traded but I have no idea if that is actually a rule or just that a team is not going to risk taking on the contract of someone who is hurt.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Injured players can be traded, but require special permission from the commissioner......I believe this is basically to make sure the receiving team knows it is getting damaged goods....in OOTP, I'm not sure if the AI takes status into account....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Did you change Trade Deadline Date? Also Felix Hernandez would be the only one needing to be placed on Waviers assuming Kyle Zimmer was still in the Minors.
No, trading deadline was the same, July 31st. never changed anything.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
in real life you can trade within one league without waviers but if you trade from American league to National League then you have waviers issue to deal with.
That hasn't been the case since 1986. Waiver restrictions involving interleague trades were done away with that year, probably, I suspect, as a result of the 1985 CBA. The players were never fond of the interleague waiver restrictions since it meant fewer opportunities for them to shop their services to different clubs.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
boshk
All Star Reserve

most star players are placed on waivers every year. but you can pull a player off waivers once per season if someone claims them. it was funny last year the media was all in a tizzy when joe mauer was placed on waivers. but it happens every year.

Last edited by boshk; 06-03-2013 at 06:38 PM.
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote