Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons View Post
Actually, I my tune would not be different. I rarely use any application that depletes my battery at a solid pace, and this one would certainly do that. So you are wrong.

Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't make mine any less valid or any more bitter than your excitement for the product makes you look easily impressed. It simply doesn't interest me. I'd rather have the full functionality of a complete game, so I will continue to do what I've done for the last 11 years, and that's buy the full game and not the watered down version. My apologies if this makes me a horrible person.
You're a better debater than that. Don't go resorting to hyperboles.

You've said your peace, now let the rest of us revel in the fact our iDevices will allow us to play wherever we go.

CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
CoolDudeWill
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm very much looking forward to this - thank you Markus & palli!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #23
dannyheck
Minors (Single A)

Sweet! I will definitely make this purchase for my iPad 2. My son may not like it, but I'm doing it!! (it's his iPad 2)
Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #24
coffee87
Minors (Single A)

Really looking forward to this. My wife will no longer have to compete with OOTP. I can just sit on the couch with the iPad and pretend to be spending time with her.
coffee87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #25
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Davis View Post
You're a better debater than that. Don't go resorting to hyperboles.

You've said your peace, now let the rest of us revel in the fact our iDevices will allow us to play wherever we go.

It comes from spending too much time in OTDebates...

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
hit_or_miss54680
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
If it was really about making a lot of money, then it would have been developed for the Android systems, as well, as Android based phones have been selling very well and a few months ago outsold the iPhone (not sure what the numbers have been since January, I haven't looked). But I respect Markus and it's his business and he can do as he likes. I'm happy as long as he continues to put out a quality version of OOTP each year. That being said, I have no interest in iOOTP.
While I support them porting to all platforms eventually, economically speaking, if they wanted to make money on their app, they made the right choice in going with iOS first. Source: Daring Fireball: The iOS and Android App Economies

I personally hope that they plan a Windows Mobile 7 version soon. Companies that develop apps for WM7 and Android claim that WM7 is easier and that they're starting to make more money off it. Too many Android users insist that all of their content be free. Also, WM7 has a large emphasis on games. It could be made with or without achievements, but can you imagine how much fun achievements could be? "Achievement Unlocked: Had a player set a career Home Run record." or "Achievement Unlocked: Your drafted player's first All Star Game" etc. Also WM7 development has a special tool that basically converts iOS apps to WM apps without hardly any work AND EVERY existing device has at LEAST 512 RAM. Okay. Done with my sales pitch.

Last edited by hit_or_miss54680; 03-29-2011 at 03:12 PM.
hit_or_miss54680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #27
Doby12
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanCol View Post
As a huge iPhone and iPad user, this is awesome news!
I totally agree. I am pumped for this!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #28
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Out of curiosity, how was it decided to include 1923, 1965 and 2004 for the historical leagues? I have no issue with it, mind you, but was there a big discussion over what seasons to include in the final release? I ask because I would imagine that the big draw for seasons would be for seasons such as 1927, 1941, 1961...

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #29
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

so you have to buy seasons for this version?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
so you have to buy seasons for this version?
additional historical seasons.
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #31
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit_or_miss54680 View Post
While I support them porting to all platforms eventually, economically speaking, if they wanted to make money on their app, they made the right choice in going with iOS first. Source: Daring Fireball: The iOS and Android App Economies

I personally hope that they plan a Windows Mobile 7 version soon. Companies that develop apps for WM7 and Android claim that WM7 is easier and that they're starting to make more money off it. Too many Android users insist that all of their content be free. Also, WM7 has a large emphasis on games. It could be made with or without achievements, but can you imagine how much fun achievements could be? "Achievement Unlocked: Had a player set a career Home Run record." or "Achievement Unlocked: Your drafted player's first All Star Game" etc. Also WM7 development has a special tool that basically converts iOS apps to WM apps without hardly any work AND EVERY existing device has at LEAST 512 RAM. Okay. Done with my sales pitch.

The argument was never really about developing it for the iOS first. It makes better business sense to begin production on a platform that has been around longer and could be more stable. The issue was that there was no plan whatsoever about developing it for Android because he doesn't care for it's return policy.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #32
rangers85
All Star Reserve

Location: Fort Worth, TX...home of the mighty TCU Horned Frogs
I'm looking forward to this. I tend to be on my iPhone (and soon iPad that I'm getting as a birthday gift from my fiancé) than I am my laptop these days. Now I can play this on my phone while on the couch.
rangers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #33
drowtfs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

in my opinion, this is so not what you guys should have done... why would you port such a bloated program as OOTP to an iOS device with 256MB of memory?
I only play OOTP on an online league and in my opinion that is the only way to play it.
On an online league, the sim is run from the commissioner's PC, which effectively means, to every other player, that the processing power is cloud-based, which would be a very current structure for a game to be run on, especially on such low powered devices as mobiles.
You guys from OOTPdev should be providing the logistics for people to run online leagues without needing to get their own hosting, and with automatic pre-scheduled simming, people would be paying good money for that, and I bet you could easily have the iOS version of the game sync a simplified mobile version of the database to a mobile device, and the full database could be available on PHP on the web, I don't see how even the simplest iOS device would be unable to perform actions like setting up 7-day lineups, moving players around rosters, offering contracts and then export them to FTP like in any online league ...
I just think you guys could be making a much more advanced game by following more advanced principles.

Last edited by drowtfs; 03-29-2011 at 04:21 PM.
drowtfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #34
Cannon Fodder06
Bat Boy

Game Sync

Any chance it could sync with PC version so you can take your season with you? Looking forward to it. Just don't make the font too small for those of us with measly little iPod touches instead of iPads.
Cannon Fodder06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #35
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers85 View Post
I'm looking forward to this. I tend to be on my iPhone (and soon iPad that I'm getting as a birthday gift from my fiancé) than I am my laptop these days.
Ditto. With this release, my migration from a laptop to the iPad will be very nearly complete. SI released a very playable, very enjoyable version of Football Manager for the iPhone/iPad last year--I had modest expectations, but I've found that it is a better fit for my current time commitments, offering a decently immersive and enjoyable game experience while not demanding countless hours of staring into a monitor in order to play a season or two. I find it sufficiently deep to be challenging without getting lost in a wilderness of detail. I expect iOOTP will be similar, and if it is, I will be very happy indeed. In fact, looking at the screenshots, I can already say that the interface for iOOTP is superior to FMHi. If they've gotten the gameplay and balance right, too, then I think this will be a big hit.

Thumbs up to Markus and the team for bringing this outstanding game to a platform that will no doubt be the dominant and preferred platform for many people in the months/years ahead.

I'll be at the App Store when it arrives, absolutely.

Last edited by sfnate; 03-29-2011 at 04:47 PM.
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #36
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Precicely! We hope this gets OOTP to a totally different audience. Should be fun!
I already forwarded this to my brother in law who's a big baseball fan but does not do computer games but loves his I-toys.

I'll probably get it for myself for boring days with no computer access.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #37
hit_or_miss54680
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
I already forwarded this to my brother in law who's a big baseball fan but does not do computer games but loves his I-toys.

I'll probably get it for myself for boring days with no computer access.
I'm probably never going to get any work done again. :P
Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #38
CHOWDERHEAD
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit_or_miss54680 View Post
I'm probably never going to get any work done again. :P
Agreed!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #39
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I'll be the one to rain on the parade and declare that I have absolutely no interest in this. I just hope that working on this hasn't been the reason for OOTP 12 not being ready until May.
Every time I see a commercial for Iphones or Android this and that, and apps apps apps, I wonder: who's buying this stuff?

That's a rhetorical, semi-sarcastic question. I know somebody out there is buying the latest phones for hundreds of dollars. But for some of us, maybe a lot of us, the economy is still in the toilet and the job situation is precarious at best.

Iphones and Ipads are way, way off my radar. Since my old, well-paying career was sent off to India by the US-based corporation that purchased my old, successful, Cleveland-based company, I can barely afford healthcare insurance and a mortgage.

Three years ago I bought a Palm Tungsten because it was very, very useful for the little freelance writing job I had, but that job, too, was sent to India and now the Palm is just a high-tech address book.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs

Last edited by Antonin; 03-29-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #40
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder06 View Post
Any chance it could sync with PC version so you can take your season with you? Looking forward to it. Just don't make the font too small for those of us with measly little iPod touches instead of iPads.
No, it is not possible to sync your leagues from the desktop version. The Hardware we are dealing with is just not good enough. Take a look at the FAQ to find out more about iOOTP.

For the font: this version is designed for the iPhone/iPod Touch. So the screens should be good to use.
Sebastian Palkowski is online now   Reply With Quote