Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Satchell Paige and 31 Stamina

So i just picked up a PEAK Paige and ... I honestly overlooked the stamina rating (which is 31).

Any idea where this number would come from? His ratings (112, 80, 73) have to be (in part) based on his negro league career. IF that is the case his stamina should be much higher as he pitched a ton there. IF its based on his MLB stats, then his ratings wouldn't be as high, so im confused.

More importantly, with a 31 stamina, does anyone have any idea what i can expect as a SP innings-wise? Obviously his number will never get any higher, right?
Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

I don't know how they determine STAM, especially for historical players. I assume there's some hand-waviness to it sort of like with defensive ratings.

I got PEAK Paige in a pack (and picked some pickled peppers) and I mostly use him as a reliever. The stamina limits his ability to be a workhorse stopper and pitch on consecutive days. But, I also have used him as a starter. Gave him a pitch count of 80 pitches and he'd regularly pitch 5-7 IP with pretty good results.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
I don't know how they determine STAM, especially for historical players. I assume there's some hand-waviness to it sort of like with defensive ratings.

I got PEAK Paige in a pack (and picked some pickled peppers) and I mostly use him as a reliever. The stamina limits his ability to be a workhorse stopper and pitch on consecutive days. But, I also have used him as a starter. Gave him a pitch count of 80 pitches and he'd regularly pitch 5-7 IP with pretty good results.
TY for the info. I would have loved to pull him from a pack but I spent 60k on him, and i cant afford that for a reliever (i have never paid more then 25k). IF he can go 5-7 IP every 5th day I can live with that.

Also.. why the pitch count of 80?

Last edited by Stick50; 09-07-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Stick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The peak card is based off his MLB carrer, which he started at age 41, he did not play MLB in 1950 and was broke and went back to barnstorming.

He was then signed with the St. Louis Browns from 1951-1953 at ages 44-46

He pitched 179 games in the MLB but only started 26 of them.
He was used pretty much as a long reliever and spot starter.

I would say his stamina reflects his MLB career.

His negro league legend card is much more representative of him as a young man before baseballs integration.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #5
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
The peak card is based off his MLB carrer, which he started at age 41,

I would say his stamina reflects his MLB career.

If that's the case, why would his stuff be 112? His K/9 n the MLB was 5.4...doesn't seem like a 112 stuff to me (but i could be wrong).

Also, he COMPLETED 7 of the 26 games he started (27%) which is not horrible and... again i would think make for a stamina better then 31
Old 09-08-2019, 12:05 AM   #6
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
But, I also have used him as a starter. Gave him a pitch count of 80 pitches and he'd regularly pitch 5-7 IP with pretty good results.

So giving him a pitch count above his stamina allowed him to pitch longer with no loss of ratings quality ?

Would this work for other relievers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #7
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
pitch count above his stamina

No, the pitch count means he will only throw that many pitches no matter what (to my understanding)... there is no "above" his stamina
Old 09-08-2019, 01:31 AM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick50 View Post
If that's the case, why would his stuff be 112? His K/9 n the MLB was 5.4...doesn't seem like a 112 stuff to me (but i could be wrong).

Also, he COMPLETED 7 of the 26 games he started (27%) which is not horrible and... again i would think make for a stamina better then 31
It may be from his PT 19 card when he had no negro league legend card and they wanted to try and represent him.

Also, despite his age and his long relief/spot starts, he was a pretty effective pitcher.
ERA+ of 168 in 1948
132 in 1949

Then he came back and pitched for some pretty terrible Browns teams and had an ERA+ of 93 (his only bad MLB year, not counting the 1965 publicity stunt year) and then bounced back with 127 and 119 despite being 45 and 46 years old and having been a barnstorming player for 30 years staying at terrible hotels and being broke most of the time eating a poor diet and getting substandard medical care and pitching with a sore arm a lot of the time because not pitching meant not getting paid.

He has highly effective despite his age.
I would think his peak card ratings are probably from his PT19 card when he had no negro league card. But peak cards are always a bit odd.
His negro league card in PT20 would be a better representation of him as starter.
It did not even dawn on me that he is one of the few players in PT with two peak cards.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:59 AM   #9
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
So giving him a pitch count above his stamina allowed him to pitch longer with no loss of ratings quality ?

Would this work for other relievers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No you'd just be surprised how a guy with very low stamina can when well-rested go 5-7 innings or throw 85-89 pitches...but Idk about the day afters. You have to start him or set him as long reliever...I think anyway.

The Negro Leagues Paige is probably strictly Negro Leagues...The MLB one is probably a composite of his baseball career with a little extra emphasis on ...well, both, but it's his MLB card...he came with the known reputation from Negro Leagues, though.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 09-08-2019 at 04:06 AM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:34 AM   #10
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
It did not even dawn on me that he is one of the few players in PT with two peak cards.
Who else besides Paige has Twin Peaks?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I think I've seen a few. The Big Unit is one, with his Mariners PEAK card also having stamina problems for some reason.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
SlinkyTWF
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
The owls are not what they seem.

PT24:

PT23:
PT22:

PT21: