Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #21
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It does just seem like a way for the best teams to get better. Hopefully the smaller ones arent worth their time so there can still be some fun for the rest of us.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #22
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
I assume there's a limit to the number that you can enter, maybe all the whales will be fighting each other for big prizes that just one gets while the plebs can win other tournaments
You can only enter (the best) three at one time.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #23
realhotsnow
Minors (Rookie Ball)

ONE MORE QUESTION.

I'm in Seoul, South Korea. 'reservation for participating on specific tourny' possible?
I start working in 8 P.M ET and leave home 7:30 P.M ET.
(If big tournies open at 8 PM E.T in Tuesday, reservation for them are before that time(8PM E.T) right?)

I wanna participate in and make reservations for 'Big Tourny' instead of 'Small Tourny' for small markets.

Most of users in small markets would think like me also, and we(small market users) have the right for participation to big tournies same with users in big market users (maybe the biggest market would be U.S.) I hope to, 'have to' join it. I expect your positive feedback, thanks!

Last edited by realhotsnow; 04-23-2019 at 10:55 AM.
realhotsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #24
realhotsnow
Minors (Rookie Ball)

==================

Wanna delete this quote I wrote same quote twice

Last edited by realhotsnow; 04-23-2019 at 10:30 AM.
realhotsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #25
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Won’t open tournaments just serve to widen the gap between the whales and the mortals? Why wouldn’t the top teams routinely win these?
I'd wager even the big whale teams with huge blubber will find it hard to go 9-0 consistently in f.e. a single-elimination tournament with 512 teams. Small series (best-of-3) also give the underdog a better chance to shake things up on the old dice.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #26
Carbrenash
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Collection rewards

Any news on the reveal date for collection rewards?
Carbrenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #27
neugey
All Star Reserve

Thanks a lot for the overview Markus. Just what I was looking for. A few questions remain though if you have time to answer ...

1) Will your tournament team(s) re-use your regular PT Team Name and visuals? Or do you have the ability to setup a special team name and visuals for each tournament team?

2) Are player card stats generated in tournaments thrown away once each tournament has finished, or are they recorded and visible from their player card profile (similar to normal career batting/pitching/fielding stats that show now)?

3) Can player cards involved in one or more active tournaments be quicksold or auctioned while the tournament is going on? Do these cards in your inventory appear locked or have a visual indicator to let you know they are playing in tournament(s) so you don't inadvertently remove them from a tournament team?

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #28
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I'd wager even the big whale teams with huge blubber will find it hard to go 9-0 consistently in f.e. a single-elimination tournament with 512 teams. Small series (best-of-3) also give the underdog a better chance to shake things up on the old dice.
I am willing to bet that a rotation containing perfect Pedro, perfect Walter, perfect Cy, perfect Curt, and perfect Rocket or perfect Greg would win most tournaments regardless of length and dice rolls.

Last edited by Orcin; 04-23-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: forgot perfect Cy, how could I forget Cy Young?!?!?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #29
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
I am willing to bet that a rotation containing perfect Pedro, perfect Walter, perfect Cy, perfect Curt, and perfect Rocket or perfect Greg would win most tournaments regardless of length and dice rolls.
We have flexibility to adjust rules for the tournaments, so I could very much see us end up in a situation where a large number of tournaments have roster limitations, be it a max card value, "salary cap", or some other similar way to level things out a little more.

Plus, there will be some tournaments where that edge diminishes. For example, a "live-only" tournament sure the top players have an edge there, but the gap in talent there is assuredly less than a fully open tournament.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #30
SouthernStar71
Minors (Single A)

I'm really looking forward to weird tournaments like only 40-49 or 40-59. Only Bronze tournaments. Only Silver tournaments.

The 1800 rating "salary" cap seems fun as that's a 72 average per player. That could be a bit high though as you could run 4 40's on the bench to free up 128 points to spend elsewhere.

Salary cap seems fun though.
SouthernStar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #31
sharpk23
Minors (Single A)

All of this is great news and I'm very exciting for the things to come. I have a couple questions though.

Tournaments:

1. If you are competing in a tournament for a special card, will you know who that card is and their ratings prior to the tournament?

2. Is there any option for the winner of a tournament to get to "choose" a card such as they pick whether they want an IF, OF, or P (whatever they feel is their weak position) not knowing what it will be?

3. If I have one perfect Pedro on my team, is it possible for him to be on all three of my tournament rosters at once or is each player only eligible to pay in 1 tournament at a time?

Collections:

1. You said that the cards to complete a collection are "locked" but you can sell the card you get.....If I sold the card I got as a reward, would the cards it took get that "exclusive" card still remain locked? I assume yes.

2. On the mission tab will it tell me the exact players (names and overall ratings) that I am missing to complete the set? For example if there is some kind of reward for collecting all the MLB LIVE players I would like to know who I am missing. I currently need 2 more players, but have absolutely no clue who they are. I'm just randomly searching all 75+ pages of MLB LIVE Cards on AH each day at this rate. LOL

Thank you very much for the update. I know a lot of us really appreciate it! Can't wait for the next few weeks/months when these things become a reality.
sharpk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #32
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStar71 View Post
I'm really looking forward to weird tournaments like only 40-49 or 40-59. Only Bronze tournaments. Only Silver tournaments.

The 1800 rating "salary" cap seems fun as that's a 72 average per player. That could be a bit high though as you could run 4 40's on the bench to free up 128 points to spend elsewhere.

Best way to avoid that is to not make it a cap for the entire team but a cap for the highest rated X number of players (say, 18 or 20)
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #33
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We have flexibility to adjust rules for the tournaments, so I could very much see us end up in a situation where a large number of tournaments have roster limitations, be it a max card value, "salary cap", or some other similar way to level things out a little more.

Plus, there will be some tournaments where that edge diminishes. For example, a "live-only" tournament sure the top players have an edge there, but the gap in talent there is assuredly less than a fully open tournament.
I was talking about what Markus called open tournaments, which he said would have no restrictions.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #34
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStar71 View Post

might seem like a lot, but that cap can sneak up on you in a hurry... if I'd swap out my 4 bench players for 40 OVR cards right now, I'd still be at 1851 total (and I'm not even close to a whale/stacked team - 1 diamond / 12 gold / 7 silver / 5 bronze)
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #35
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
I was talking about what Markus called open tournaments, which he said would have no restrictions.
Yeah, there will be some tournaments with no restrictions. The balance of open tournaments vs capped tournaments vs other special rules we'll just have to experiment with until we find the right balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
might seem like a lot, but that cap can sneak up on you in a hurry... if I'd swap out my 4 bench players for 40 OVR cards right now, I'd still be at 1851 total (and I'm not even close to a whale/stacked team - 1 diamond / 12 gold / 7 silver / 5 bronze)
Yeah, I'm sure we'll pick a few different "caps" for various tournaments, again, we'll have to experiment with what caps make sense. I wouldn't mind seeing a cap system like what we used in the "mini-whale" league too, although that may be a bit more challenging to code up so may not make it through in v1 of the tournaments. Or we may do like Warhawk suggested and have a cap for the top-X cards on the team, that might make more sense actually to plan for, since if we run most like playoff series/tournaments off-days will render bench and bullpen depth less useful.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #36
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, there will be some tournaments with no restrictions. The balance of open tournaments vs capped tournaments vs other special rules we'll just have to experiment with until we find the right balance.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll pick a few different "caps" for various tournaments, again, we'll have to experiment with what caps make sense. I wouldn't mind seeing a cap system like what we used in the "mini-whale" league too, although that may be a bit more challenging to code up so may not make it through in v1 of the tournaments. Or we may do like Warhawk suggested and have a cap for the top-X cards on the team, that might make more sense actually to plan for, since if we run most like playoff series/tournaments off-days will render bench and bullpen depth less useful.
looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.... and just to clarify my previous post, don't misinterpret that as any sort of complaint about the 1800 cap idea... making the puzzle pieces fit is going to be part of the fun (and if it goes lower, it'll just be that much more of a challenge... if you want a few superstar perfects / high diamonds, you'll have to sacrifice somewhere else)
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #37
neugey
All Star Reserve

Isn't it pretty wild to think that we are a month into PT 20 now and it has been pretty entertaining ... and the real fun hasn't even started yet?!

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #38
ruffyen
Minors (Single A)

Something that would be a nice to have especially with the addition of tournaments, is like a "build-a-team" function so that you can build a team for a specific tournament a head of time to be submitted.

One issue that I have had in the past when initially setting up a team is that while I am setting it up not having time to really dig in for the setup i want. So being able to build the team outside of the tournaments would be nice.

I don't know if that makes sense. Kind of like a "deck builder" or something
ruffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #39
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffyen View Post
Something that would be a nice to have especially with the addition of tournaments, is like a "build-a-team" function so that you can build a team for a specific tournament a head of time to be submitted.

One issue that I have had in the past when initially setting up a team is that while I am setting it up not having time to really dig in for the setup i want. So being able to build the team outside of the tournaments would be nice.

I don't know if that makes sense. Kind of like a "deck builder" or something
I figure there must be some allowance for team building beforehand, at a minimum. Otherwise this will require people to be online when the tournament starts, which is a barrier to entry that many won't be able to overcome. Additionally, I'd expect to see a bit of a grace period, because otherwise the last person to join a tournament that starts when filled will not have an opportunity to adjust their team (and ballpark maybe?) before sims start.

This may not be exactly what you were thinking about, but they're related and need to be considered before tournaments are rolled out...

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #40
daveh2018
Minors (Double A)

Some tournaments should have a cap (say 128 teams) and if more than that request a spot, then it should be random selection for entry. Not sure how that could work with a limit of three bullets - you could get shutout some weeks/periods.
daveh2018 is offline   Reply With Quote