Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #1
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Is it too early to start wondering what new features OOTP 18 will have?

Just wondering...
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

never
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 AM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Nope. It's certainly not too early It's never too early!

That being said, we can't exactly provide any specific info at this point, but please feel free to speculate as much as you may desire!

There's going to be some great stuff included for sure.

Personally, I can't wait to find out all of what it will be

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 09-20-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:03 AM   #4
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

My cynical side rumbles to the surface like Godzilla emerging from the sea...and says I can make (fairly good, I think) guesses as to what OOTP 18 will not contain. (I would be happy to be proved wrong.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #5
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

For what it's worth, the World Baseball Classic will end before OOTP Day.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

A third conference
Improved Schedule Editor(w/neutral site game option)
Improved Tie-Breaker procedures
End season/start playoffs tab
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

- International tournaments

- Improvements to associations

- Negro leagues in historical mode

That's my wishlist off the top of my head.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

I bet the rosters will be updated
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I like to think of speculating as a way of brainstorming....you never know what can spawn from discussions.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

We haven't finalized the list for next year, so idle speculation can definitely help us narrow down the final feature list.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We haven't finalized the list for next year, so idle speculation can definitely help us narrow down the final feature list.
Automatically generated team photo's for World Series/league championships would be a great feature and one I've been requesting for awhile.

This would especially be nice for those of us who like to sim many years of league history before playing.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

This HAS to be the year for International tournaments...right?

Right?

Plleeaasee.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Oh, boy. You just opened the floodgates, Matt.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Isn't this what the Suggestions forum is for?

But since you asked,

- more options for Historical Exhibition mode (altering Jerseys, ballparks without having to save out. Tournament mode, etc)

- Hot key for "pause between plays" check box

- Add Pitchers career record vs specific team
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:39 AM   #15
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

I'm glad people are throwing out ideas... My thinking was more along the lines of the anticipation.... sort of like a kid waiting for Christmas.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:35 AM   #16
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
A third conference
Wouldn't really be needed if Associations were buffed up.

Quote:
Improved Schedule Editor(w/neutral site game option)
I've been advocating for awhile now the addition of a 'park' field to the schedule files so that a specific park could be assigned for that match-up. This would benefit both historical and fictional play.

Quote:
Improved Tie-Breaker procedures
Definitely needed, especially for the minor leagues and those using the split-season format.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:36 AM   #17
Hankyu Braves
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Wouldn't really be needed if Associations were buffed up.
One can dream...
Hankyu Braves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #18
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

If the Associations included inter-league games between the Leagues,then I would be for it. That's why I wanted a third conference. I am planning on merging three leagues(over two seasons) and I could have a third conference if I keep the last league that merge's schedule separate from the other merged leagues.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #19
Statsman1
Major Leagues

I would love to see the implementation of user-selected trade RETURN criteria when "shopping a player" to the league. I know what I want to SEND, I'd like the ability to specify what I want to RECEIVE.

An option to avoid seeing 40-year-old first basemen being offered when I am looking for a left fielder prospect when I shop my 23-year-old catcher, please.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #20
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I'm really hoping that historical minors gets tons of attention and is an actual working feature for 18. Heck, if the "historical" minors can't be fixed, just allow us to set up generic OOTP generated minors and make use of the minor league players database Spritze created.

The Jim Unknown problem has to be addressed and fixed. Jim Unknowns should be a last resort and should never ever play instead of real players. Nor, should the AI be able to use Jim Unknowns beyond normal roster restraints. If rosters are 25, with 10 pitchers and 15 position players, at no time should the AI be able to introduce Jim Unknown into the game beyond the 15 position players, 10 pitchers setup. I would rather rub hot oil all over OPRAHS bald head than look at boxscores in which teams used 56 players.

Another reason, I would love to have access to the database even if the actual historical minors structure isn't in place is, I'm not a huge fan of massive leagues. I like to keep things simple. With 17, if you start a historical league in 1946 with historical minors, you get the MLB and 30+ additional leagues. For me, this is just too massive. How long can you even play something like this before your computer explodes? Of course, as things stand now, you go and look at a lot of these leagues and lots of teams have no players, some teams have 46 or more players, consisting of a shortstop and 45 relief pitchers...Ugh!

Let me start in 1919 with generic OOTP AAA, AA, A for my minors. Let me erase all history so my league starts with zeros in 1919. Allow me to determine how many rounds I want my draft to feature. If players are in the minors db and appear in say 1921(minors), but have prior real MLB experience, you can't have the minor league db erase or add to their actual OOTP history and replace it with the real....this ruins a OOTP replay.

In the end I think most folks play this game as a gm/manager sim. They make trades, sign players, move players from level to level etc. Historical minors is a great idea and the thought of teams relocating, teams changing affiliates, new leagues forming etc etc all according to history is great, but I would think no one other than a strict historical simmer is going to enjoy making an OOTP trade only to lose that player/s to a relocation or affiliate change.

I guess, my point is, access to the actual minor league players is more important to me than having the actual historical minor league structure, especially when the actual historical structure is so restrictive to game play and enjoyment. I often like to create fictional historical leagues that use real players, but fake teams. Not possible with historical minors. I may want to start in 1906 and use the minor league players once I get to 1919. Not possible with historical minors unless I'm willing to ignore OOTP rewriting players OOTP player histories to conform to their minor league import. I find it very restrictive for a feature to supposedly work best only if the draft is turned off and players go to their actual teams.

The AI has to have an Idea about players as well. Much like the feature that ensures the AI knows Babe Ruth during the draft, the game needs to assure that the AI isn't releasing a Kiki Cuyler or a Lou Gehrig as soon as they appear.

Establishing roster limits on historical minors in an attempt to assure all teams have players is fine, but only if this allows big league teams enough players to deal with injuries. Why have all the extra players if you're still going to be forced to use the low or very low injury settings? Keep in mind also that no historical sim is worth it eggs if all of Reggie Jackson is playing 2B or Boog Powell is grifting at shortstop.

Time to stop rambling, but I say FREE THE PLAYERS....THE HISTORICAL CHAINS THAT CURRENTLY BIND THEM BE GONE!

Last edited by David Watts; 09-21-2016 at 01:18 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote