Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #21
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps the wonderful guys at OOTPD could add an auto-backup option similar to the auto-almanac or auto-save?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #22
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
It might be smart to set an in-game reminder note to yourself on Jan 1st or something to backup your game...
Every 30 days in game time for me.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #23
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Backup Approach
I personally recommend a multi-layered approach to backing up OOTP, to ensure both your saved game and any customizations you might have made are saved. My personal approach is this:
  • On the first day of every season, I zip up my entire saved game folder and label it something like "New World Baseball League 2017 Season Start".
  • On the first day of the offseason, I do the same thing.
  • Before every time I quit the game, I use the in-game functionality to do an incremental backup. (Because I sim one day at a time, sometimes I will backup after each in-game day.)
  • If I EVER want to do something drastic to a league - delete data, import data, mess with schedules, change league structure, etc., I do a one-off zip of my entire league.
  • Periodically, I put at least my most recent zip file onto an external backup hard drive. It's always a good idea to put a backup somewhere that is not in the same physical location as your computer. A hard drive you keep somewhere else, the cloud, etc. That way, if something awful happens like you have a fire in your house, at least your OOTP will be saved!
i never have used the zip-file idea before, just made regular OOTP backups. Since this thread started, i make 2 a season now, one at the start of pre-season, and one after the amateur draft .... great idea ..

i was never certain if i should back-up (with a zip file) my entire OOTP17 folders, or just the saved games one. i do make regular (as in daily when i quit playing) back-ups with the game back-up feature. Those just overwrite the previous one, as i keep one file for each season, going back 3 or 4 years.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 07-23-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: changing unneeded info
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #24
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

PSA: Back up your leagues!

I use 7zip to backup my OOTP leagues, and I store my backups in my external drive. For insurance, I also store a copy of my backups in my wife's laptop.

Many years ago, in the late 80s, I remember malware wiping out the contents of our server. I was then working as a Project Manager for a software development company.

But since we have been taught always to backup everything, we always had multiple backups of all our files in our server, which mostly consisted of the source code of the business applications we were developing for our clients.

A good thing. Otherwise, that could have been disastrous, to say the least...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by themonk; 06-08-2016 at 09:49 PM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #25
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

TBF OOTP 14 and 16 have been much, much better in terms of stability. Huge improvement IMO, and I'm very glad of it. That alone is why I was so into those releases and why OOTP is my go-to game these days.

I used to get leagues shot out from under me all the time and it drove me absolutely nuts. And yes, I could back up but I'm the type of person that hates replaying something that I've already played. It's why I generally only play permadeath games when I'm not doing something sports management related.

All that said, why has this problem been so unique to OOTP? I've never completely lost a league in 14 years of FM play, or WMMA, or any other management game I've played. I've had crashes where I have to go back to a saved point, sure, but they never corrupt a save. What are these other games doing that OOTP isn't? Can this be replicated? It's not just DB size, since FM saves contain a lot of data too.

I was reluctant to post this because I might have jinxed my existing save now.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #26
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Mac backup

1. Pull down the "Go" menu.
2. Hold "option" key.
3. Select "Library"
4. Open "Application Support"
5. Open "Out of the Park Developments"
6. Open "OOTP Baseball 17"
7. Open "saved_games"
8. Copy your league file anywhere you wish, make a zip, whatever...

I made an alias for my OOTP folder & keep it in the dock (see pix) so I have easier access. Of course, I clipped the part of the pix that has the relevant text, but it's the MLB icon-ed folder alias.
Attached Images

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.

Last edited by Ty Cobb; 06-23-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #27
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
It might be smart to set an in-game reminder note to yourself on Jan 1st or something to backup your game...
But, there is.

Whenever you load your game there is a little notice just to the right that tells you how many game days it has been since your last back-up.

For me, anytime I open the game if that notification says it has been 10 days or more, I back it up before I do anything else.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #28
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

Hey guys I think I found a way to recover a corrupted save file.

I'm a stubborn SOB and hadn't ever backed up my game, and was through 5 years, fresh off a World Series title and running away with the NL in the following year midway through August, when the game crashed. I tried to reload it, slightly ticked that I'd lost 2 weeks of games but when I tried opening up the game I got an error message about some database that couldn't be found.

I read through posts here to see if there's any solution and saw this thread so I figured I had lost the league and was pretty disappointed, and as a last-ditch effort I tried one last thing. My league had been named "MLB 2016", so I just copied the save file and pasted it in the same folder, renaming it "MLB 2016a", and did the same thing with the league folder in the My Documents section, making sure the names were the same.

I tried re-opening the game, and miraculously, it worked! I haven't looked around much to see if anything is messed up but in a cursory 1 minute glance the only thigns I seemed to have lost was the last 2 and a half months of Messages and the 2 custom logos I'd made for the expansion teams, which really isn't a big deal at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything runs smoothly. The league takes longer to load now for some reason, but I'm just glad I managed to salvage it so I can absolutely cope with that haha.

Now I have no idea if this would work for anyone else in the same situation as I imagine there's many different things that could get corrupted, but I figured I'd share it just in case it helps someone.

(I should also note, I IMMEDIATELY backed up the new save file lol.)
NovaNation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #29
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

looking at some settings (that i didn't know what they did - too darn curious ....) on the File setting for the database, and when checking out the path, musta clicked something ... couldn't get out of it. So closed the game and when i reloaded ..... ooops, game database was moved, gone ... dang. So i went to my zipped files, which was only 20 games old ..... and a miracle happened!!!! The game again is alive! Can't say enough good things about this thread and the ideas presented. Glad i started doing both a zip of my entire game before each season, as well as a weekly back-up from the game.

edit: i did have to redownload my mods central link, along with ballparks, historic faces. i also lost my quickstart games. i was able to get these back by going to my documents folder and copying those files and placing them into the appropriate game program folders.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen

Last edited by mitchkenn; 07-23-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #30
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

how do you restore a backed up game?

I back up my game on a regular basis (almost every day I play the game -- real days not computer days)

so I thought I would try something zany/crazy knowing if I did not like the results I could always "restore" to my most recent "back up save"

BUT when I tried to "restore to previous back up" it did NOT restore BUT just loaded the game at the same point when I had last quit my game.

So how do you actually restore/reset the game to a previous "saved backup"?

I notice when I quit the game, the game does an automatic save, does this overwrite any and all "back up games"?

not a computer person, all I know is when I try to "load game from a previous back up" it asks for a folder/file location, maybe I am not giving the correct answer/location to restore to a previous back-up.

any help will be greatly appreciated
Chillidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #31
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

back up and saves are a bit different.

The game auto saves each session if you click on the red X, or go to FILE and EXIT OOTP.. Back up must be done manually. Go to File on main screen and you will find Back-ups. You will need to tell it where to backup if you don't use the default (i use an external HD). Either way, write down the path location so you can find it. Give the file a name and click back-up. It can take from 2 mins to 20 depending on lots of things which i couldn't enumerate even if i knew what they were. (I BACK-UP after every game session, and give new names every 6 months, so i would only lose half a year at the most when restoring.)

To restore - go to the FILE icon again on the main screen, click on back-up and you will get a choice of back-up or restore. Select the file you want to go back to (usually last one is default). (If you don't name files for different seasons or specific reasons, the game keep overwriting the same file). You will need to type a new name in the bottom "path" of the screen. then select restore. if my game is called Historical-Fiction 1901 .... i would name my new file in the bottom box "Historical-Fiction 1901 A" or something along those lines.

hopefully i didn't miss a step (???) as i am doing this from memory and not at my game computer. (It does works, as i did a restore this morning, after i mistyped a modifier from .888 to 888.00 on hits .... ohh a 122-98 game made me realize i'd slightly goofed.) i'm certain the manual also explains how to do this, and/or someone at their game could offer a bit clearer description. Good luck.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 08-26-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:22 PM   #32
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
back up and saves are a bit different.

The game auto saves each session if you click on the red X, or go to FILE and EXIT OOTP.. Back up must be done manually.

(I BACK-UP after every game session, and give new names every 6 months, so i would only lose half a year at the most when restoring.)

To restore - (If you don't name files for different seasons or specific reasons, the game keep overwriting the same file). You will need to type a new name in the bottom "path" of the screen. then select restore. if my game is called Historical-Fiction 1901 .... i would name my new file in the bottom box "Historical-Fiction 1901 A" or something along those lines.

that is/was my problem, when I "backup" I do/did not give it a unique name, so when I closed/finished playing the game, the automatic save that the game does, must have overwritten my "back up" and therefore I am not able to restore to a previous game date using the "restore from back up" as this has been overwritten (by me not giving it a unique name)

I was going under the assumption that "backing up the game" saved it to a different location, than the automatic saves the game does upon closing the game ---- I guess this is my bad

so "Thank you" now I know that I need give my "back ups" a "unique name/path" so that I may be able to restore to a previous game date

Last edited by Chillidog; 08-26-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #33
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

To be honest, I found OOTP's backup capabilities clumsy and I have also struggled to restore a backup before. I do backups after every game week, but in regular intervals I create a complete zip copy of the entire game file. This takes a while, but I use that and store it in the cloud or on a stick.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #34
RchW
Hall Of Famer

The legit beef about OOTP backups is the inability to differentiate backups in-game. In a perfect world we would be able to stack backups by an increment number ie "mypreciousleague"_01_02_03_04... etc.

An even better option IMO would be for the game to use the last date simulated info in settings to name files. To me the in-game date is the only way to be sure of the usefulness of a backup file. Now some people may not like the disk space this would use but they always have the option to delete earlier backups on their own.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #35
homerj
Minors (Double A)

I posted it in its own thread, but perhaps it should have been posted here. Here's how I back up my leagues in OOTP. I figure it should be helpful to at least some.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...agues-git.html
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #36
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

I think they do it this way to allow multiple ways users handle things.

if you just backup over the same directory, it saves alot of time, but you cannot have multiple backups... i think most people do it this way and the more "anal," like me, prefer to have multiple backups for each recent big event (personal choices there - for me it's a season, any time sink (effort and time) or any settings change = backup).

the ways it's currently setup allows for each way to work fairly well. you can always "open folder" if you've forgotten which "03" or whatver was used last.

append Year-0X or something that signifies what was done or why you made the backup... get verbose if you want... when i am setting up a league a bakcup will say:

"leaguename 2016-01 - financials overhauled"
"leaguename 2016-02 - Personnel changes made"
"leaguename 2016-03 - league ready, opening day"

after that it's just year-0x most the time. keep last couple seasons worth or so...

Lately i do the basic backup and only rename at end of season... this saves on the time it takes and i keep all the files, not just stats and league history. if you do a clean directory everytime, you want to use the "Full Backup" option each time, which takes forever.

so, i have a WiP that is the same name as the league but also rename it after each season. before i rename it i make a copy of the directory... that way i can continue to use the faster bakcup option. i always backup to same spot but i copy/rename on occasion to save time.

*** there's no reason fo rthe full backup to take so long... i wish they'd pre-allocate memory for all the small file crap... they are not individual files anymore but they are still saved to disk as if they were.... fragmented all over the place and a mechanical HDD can only move that junk around at a snail's pace when it's like kB chunks here and there. it's ll the news itmes and such i think. pre-allocate 40-50mB chunks at a time... no one will notice this extra space taken, but they will certainly notice when their full backups work at 80-120mB/s as opposed to 2-4mB/s -- even on a crappy/cheap HDD. you'd see some improvements on a ssd too.. but tehy aren't hindered as much as mechanical drives by fragmented data.

sequential data transfers still work faster on ssd than non-sequential.. check specs.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-28-2016 at 10:31 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #37
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

I back up at the end of every playing session. Sounds anal, I know, but with the incremental backup system it doesn't take long at all.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:00 AM   #38
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

I have given up on "backing up" my game.

as I can not figure out how to "restore" a previously backed up game.

so what is the point in backing up
Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #39
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I don't know what to tell you. I've not ever had problems backing up and restoring. Neither have the other people in this thread who have tried to help you out. Sorry you're having such difficulty.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #40
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillidog View Post
I have given up on "backing up" my game.

as I can not figure out how to "restore" a previously backed up game.

so what is the point in backing up
RICHW posted a wonderful step by step instructions on how to restore ... with pics and all in this thread.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ame-again.html

in fact, he posted a second way (maybe easier) to make back-ups in the same thread .... here's a link to that specific method ..

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post4084038

Last edited by mitchkenn; 09-08-2016 at 10:12 AM. Reason: civility