Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
Antmf
Minors (Single A)

Nov with some questions

Hey all a brand new novice to the management sim genre. I like baseball but not a guru in any way. Just wanted to know how difficult this game is and how hard or easy it is to play my first season and get into this game?

Also would like to know the best or the most fun way to play. Do you guys sim each and every game or few games at a time or the whole season?

Last edited by Antmf; 03-27-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Antmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The best way to play is the way that you have the most fun playing. Some people like to just be the GM. Some like to just be the manager. Most like to be both. There's modern, historical and fictional to choose from. Try playing the game different ways until you find the way that's most fun for you; none of us can tell you what that will be.

One long-time OOTP player sims every game through the sixth inning, and plays the 7th to the end of the game out.

It's all about what you like. If you want a good starting point, create a modern game and pick the Chicago Cubs. Click the button on team selection that says you can't be fired. Have at it. Enjoy!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmf View Post
Hey all a brand new novice to the management sim genre. I like baseball but not a guru in any way. Just wanted to know how difficult this game is and how hard or easy it is to play my first season and get into this game?

Also would like to know the best or the most fun way to play. Do you guys sim each and every game or few games at a time or the whole season?
Yeah, there isn't really a right way or wrong way to play. I think most new people to the game find it most comfortable to open up a new MLB game and start playing with their favorite team. That way they can spend time learning the game with players they already know. But that certainly isn't the only way. Try a small fictional of historical league if maintaining a full MLB organization is just too overwhelming or annoying. Or maybe try out the new historical exhibition mode and just play a few series to get your feet wet. Just some ideas.

You will see all ranges of usages. Some players will play out every pitch as the manager. Some will sim whole seasons at one time. And everything in between. Try simming some and playing out some games to see which you like better. Really the deciding factor is how much time you have to play. If you can only play a couple hours a week, then you probably need to mostly sim to get through a meaningful amount of baseball. If you can play a couple hours a day while watching TV or whatever, then maybe you can play out some or all of your games.

But Wolf is right - it's all up to you.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

i play historical from 1901 - each time i restart it's 1901 historical. (and i started - restarted seasons 15 or more times from OOTP 13 to the present). i play as general manager/manager/can't be fired/no owner goals.

i sim each day for the team i am in control of. usually, i'll sit through a month of sims in one sitting, tracking the performance of my players, looking to make trades or altering my line-up, every now and then shipping someone to my reserve list and bringing another person up.

i control the line-ups and pitching, so when injuries happen, by simming each day, it's easy to go into the line-ups and make what changes need to be made.

But there are at least 1000+ ways to play this game. Tinker around with different eras, and settings and find one you like and go for it. Just save and back-up often so if something goes really "wrong" you can get back to where you were, especially if it's a computer oops. (i back up to an external HD.)

Mostly have fun and feel free to ask questions. Most people here know enough to help a little and some can help a LOT. A most amazing collection of folks! Again, enjoy the game. It's a blast!
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 03-27-2016 at 09:14 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Experiment. Your first league will NOT be the one you end up playing for 30-40-50 in game seasons. I remember I started a league in v12 and was all gung ho about it being the only one I'd start... then I discovered this feature, and then that one, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and you get the picture. The best way to learn the game is to play leagues. Fiddle. Tinker.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I would start with a small fictional league to start. They go by MUCH faster than a real MLB game. This will allow you to experiment with all the settings and options.

When I first started playing, I was overwhelmed. What i did to get used to everything was I spectated. I just simmed seasons. From that, you'll start getting everything figured out.

Another option would be to join an online league. Find one that's newbie friendly, like mine, and ask a bunch of questions

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet

Last edited by jpeters1734; 03-27-2016 at 09:28 PM.
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #7
jmuelly
Minors (Double A)

I'm new as well and maybe I can provide some personal input from my experience so far.

I often play The Show on PS4, I find myself quickly simulating seasons reshaping my roster (brewers), I find in almost all sports game simulating and roster building is more interesting than the actual gameplay itself.

OOTP has been everything I want it to be. I've chosen to only be gm and having a blast. Once I start my long term season I'll be a lot more engaged in day to day operations, right now I'm just getting my feet wet trying to learn the interface and how things work.

IMO it requires a fair amount of patience.
jmuelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

I typically take the Brewers, and run a GM only, but will sometimes set a new rotation or line up different from what Craig Counsell would pick in the game. When you first start the game, and you're trying to decide what team to control, you'll see options to select "Cannot Be Fired" and "Commissioner Mode." I usually select them both.

At first, I was one to just try to sim to certain dates (Draft, Trade Deadline, Roster Expansion, and End of Season). Now, I'll typically sim each day individually, because I'm looking to focus my current game on the rebuild the real life Brewers are doing. Simming only a day at a time forces me to focus more attention on my minor league system.

In previous versions, I've created minor leagues before, and found that challenging, yet enjoyable.

As has been said multiple times, the beauty of this game is that when you go into a game, there isn't any wrong way to do things. Sure, you can make decisions to piss off an owner, or set weird lineups and rotations, etc. You can irritate fan bases trading away certain players, but you do what you feel is right, and that's that.
DJP53916 is offline   Reply With Quote