Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #21
J W
Minors (Single A)

Well said bigmonk. And thanks too. It's nice to hear a rational voice from time to time.

To Kent814: Thanks to you as well. If I can't get this issue resolved in this thread, I will surely follow your advice.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #22
madJ
Major Leagues

In your Steam library right click on OOTP 16 and head into the settings. There should be an option regarding the Steam Overlay. Disable that one (iirc you have to remove a tick in order to disable the Steam Overlay for OOTP 16). You shouldn't experience the problem you mentioned afterwards.

Sorry for not being any more specific on what you have to do, but I'm not at home right now and I'm only recalling those steps from memory.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #23
BMD
All Star Reserve

I'm confused. What was so bad about writing a refund question should be sent directly to someone who works with the company? If the purchase was made at a brick and mortar store, would you expect someone wishing to make a return to seek out a store employee or walk around the sales floor asking fellow customers how to get his/her money back? As far as the company suggesting customers ask questions on the forum, you see the results here. Once it was made clear there was a specific problem (a Steam issue apparently, not a OOTP16 btw) causing dissatisfaction, a couple people jumped in immediately to help solve it and I am sure will continue to until it is resolved.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #24
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J W View Post
To the member who said "Obtaining a refund does not require a post in a public forum. It takes about 90 seconds of research to know your options. If you can't do that then don't order", and then another who stated "Not once did it cross my mind to post my desire for a refund in a public forum", I ask of you both: are you serious?

Surely you can't both be naive enough to think that everybody who posts something here is expertised on how these forums work? Although I'm not anti-social, I purchased OOTP 16 in order to play it, not to be hanging around forums.

For those who tried to be helpful, I apologize for being so vague last night. I was frustrated and tired. I just wanted to go to bed.

What happened was that after spending about 10 minutes trying to set up a fictional league, an extremely invasive and unwelcomed screen popped up. It had the 'Steam' logo at the bottom and seemed to be about 'achievements'. This screen caused such a complete freeze-up that I had to restart my computer. I then went through this same process 2 more times before finally giving up!

Honestly folks, I am sick to death of companies releasing their games in an unfinished state.

For the record I use the Windows 8.1 O/S, and my computer is from 'MSI'. I have a 'core i 7 processor'........ hardly an obscure machine!

Finally I have to ask (because I sincerely don't understand): what purpose does this 'Steam' company serve anyway?

I am respectfully asking for some help with this from those who prefer to be helpful. I relate well with such people.

As for those who can only be judgemental, there's probably a website out there for you called 'throwstones.com'.

That Steam overlay had me frustrated as well. Follow Madj's advice. If you have further problems, forum member "The Wolf" will be able to help you. He helped me and once I followed his instructions, that overlay has never once reappeared. Would hate to see you miss out on a great game due to something that can be dealt with and forgot about. Good Luck.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #25
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Sending a request for a refund to an open forum is a pretty bad way to actually get one.

Also, people didn't jump on you for complaining about the game, because you didn't complain about the game. You just said you wanted to refund. There could be many reasons for that... but you didn't say.

Then when you finally DID say, your complaint actually wasn't about the game. It was about Steam. And then people stepped forward to help you. Many of us (myself included) know nothing about Steam and would never assume that you bought the game that way.

General lesson - act in a civil manner and good things happen.

(And don't consider that a huge put-down. Everyone gets frustrated at times.)

(second side note: I do not see the appeal of Steam. At all.)

````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited by rpriske; 06-22-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #26
J W
Minors (Single A)

Thanks to all the helpful suggestions. From what I'm reading, it seems some of you bought your game without going through 'Steam'. I didn't know that this option was available or I surely would have taken that route. I'm wondering if I can uninstall the game and then completely disassociate from 'Steam' before reinstalling.

I still don't get the point with why OOTP needed 'Steam' anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So 'rpriske' writes "Actually, sending a request for a refund to an open forum is a pretty bad way to actually get one", and then "General lesson - act in a civil manner and good things happen".

Jeez (sigh). Ok Rusty, I guess I'm going to have to say this again....... I am not a forum person!!! I don't know all the protocols of 'forumology'!!! Neither do I know all the subtleties and nuances of forums!!! But mostly I don't understand why any of this needs to bother you so!!! If my 'unclean' thread has so deeply offended your sensibilities, then just move on!!! It's really that simple. Surely you don't believe that you need to comment on every single thread posted on this forum.

What I do know is that I bought this game back in 2004 (probably OOTP 5). And when I came to this forum with a few questions, I had some guy get all over me like a bad rash then. After a while I just uninstalled the game and walked away.........
Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have many games via Steam.. but for OOTP, I've just always purchased directly from OOTP.

You can uninstall from Steam and install the full version (I'm guessing that's possible?) from OOTP. Did you get a serial number from Steam? You would need that to install the non-Steam version (again, if that's possible?).

Most people here are super helpful, so don't take some posts to heart.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #28
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Refund? LOL. There's an easy fix for this. Go to Steam. Go to your Library. Find OOTP 16. Right-click on It. Now click on Properties. Now unselect Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.

Done. Problem will never happen again.

This fix has been detailed for some time now in the pinned Steam thread for anyone to see.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #29
Assos
All Star Starter

I do not like the Steam overlay either for the game. Everytime I start a new league and I try to capitalize the name, it kicked into Steam overlay but the forum post helped!
I do not think we to jump on the OP because he wanted his money back. We should be a little more understanding and the first reply should be something like, Is there something, we the community can help you with?" It is good to have warm fuzzies to help people and getting into heated debates about the meat and potatoes of the game!
To our OP, I hope you give the game more of a chance and stick around and next year try the non-Steam version.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #30
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Huh... I don't think my post came across as overly angry.

If anything it was an appeal for calm.

I am glad to see you are actually listening to people's recommendations.

````````````````````````````````````````

Old 06-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #31
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Refund? LOL. There's an easy fix for this. Go to Steam. Go to your Library. Find OOTP 16. Right-click on It. Now click on Properties. Now unselect Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.

Done. Problem will never happen again.

This fix has been detailed for some time now in the pinned Steam thread for anyone to see.
Thank you for posting that again. To the OP, if you follow The Wolfs instructions, you will never see the overlay again.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #32
Toast
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmonk View Post
Wow! If I were the owners of this company, I'd be scared. New costumers write about issues with the game and the 'old timers' jump on them with both feet. In the past, I've seen threads where people from the company tell newbies to get on the forum for answers. If the response is a swift kick in the teeth, there aren't going to be a lot of new buyers. I bought the $20 version and I sure won't drop any more money on this game. It's fun; but it's buggy and the forum is a nasty. You can't expand your business without new customers and you can't add new customers if the old ones are driving them away.
You are absolutely right. From first hand experience a question or concern and the old guard tends to jump all over the poster.

'If you question they will come' from the novel Field of Screams

Toast
Old 06-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #33
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
You are absolutely right. From first hand experience a question or concern and the old guard tends to jump all over the poster.

'If you question they will come' from the novel Field of Screams

Toast
Grow up.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #34
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
My question is this: why did the OP not start a thread entitled "How Do I Fix This Steam Issue?" (or better yet, why not just read the pinned Steam thread for the answer) instead of preemptively asking for a refund?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #35
STeK
Banned

Quote:
Wow! If I were the owners of this company, I'd be scared. New costumers write about issues with the game and the 'old timers' jump on them with both feet. In the past, I've seen threads where people from the company tell newbies to get on the forum for answers. If the response is a swift kick in the teeth, there aren't going to be a lot of new buyers. I bought the $20 version and I sure won't drop any more money on this game. It's fun; but it's buggy and the forum is a nasty. You can't expand your business without new customers and you can't add new customers if the old ones are driving them away.
This is just over the top.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #36
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Old 06-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #37
bigmonk
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Grow up.
Toast made the point there are posters on this forum who are rude and dismissive of other posters. I think "Grow up." refutes his argument eloquently.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #38
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Toast made the point there are posters on this forum who are rude and dismissive of other posters. I think "Grow up." refutes his argument eloquently.
Do a search of Toast's posts on this forum. If you read this thread you will see that I tried to help the OP. Toast has an agenda. He only appears to stir the pot. Did you even read the Field of Screams portion of his post?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #39
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Not rude. I think most guys here feel that this is a guy's baseball lounge in a sense were we can speak freely to some extent and we are all men. At least that's how I view it. Are some members more sensitive than another's? Yes, likely that's why they feel that their being "attacked" or are "victims". But why should everybody else walk on egg shells?

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 06-22-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #40
STeK
Banned

Quote:
I think it does too, as "Grow up" fits perfectly as a response to the childish comments that you and toast posted.
Closed Thread