Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Dr. Brian
Minors (Single A)

MR to SP - LOL

How is this not possibe? I have some historically great examples (and I'm sure you do, too) of great pitchers that came up in the draft as MR. However, these historically future SPs remain MR in iOOTP.

I've set their position to SP in the Minors ...
I've brought them up to the Majors as SPs ...

But their stamina remains 6 pitches. They remain MRs
For example:

David Come
David Stewart
Ron Guidry
Mark Fidrych
Kevin Brown
etc., etc., etc.

Is it even possible to make ANY MR a SP?
Dr. Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

wondering abt this as well..
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

The only way this happens is if the pitcher has 3+ good pitches and good stamina which is rare in MRs.

One of the few things I strongly dislike about this game is the stamina system for pitchers. Yearly, many pitchers' stamina ratings fall of the edge of the world. But I've found it extremely rare for MRs with really bad stamina to become a remote possibility for being a starter. Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton, Phil Niekro, Adam Wainwright, and countless other pitching greats are career bullpen guys because their stamina ratings suck when you draft them in this game.

I think if you give a reliever spot starts and a bigger workload overall their stamina should increase. The stamina concept in this game needs work.
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
phillupi
All Star Reserve

I drafted this guy in round 5. He was a CF but when I looked at his ratings he had pitcher potential. When the year passed to January this is what he became. Look for these HS gems that are playing the wrong position.

phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Sorry I was wrong. I drafted him in round 4 and now he is the #85 prospect.
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
WACo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Unhappy

Yet there remains no way to develop a pitcher who is historically an ace, from MR to SP. Almost all the draft SP are rated as bullpen. Why does the draft rating have them as SP? It's called a defect in the program, a design defect to be a bit more specific. Fix it.
WACo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACo View Post
Yet there remains no way to develop a pitcher who is historically an ace, from MR to SP. Almost all the draft SP are rated as bullpen. Why does the draft rating have them as SP? It's called a defect in the program, a design defect to be a bit more specific. Fix it.
Yeah, I mentioned this before to no avail. I suppose it is out of the mistaken belief that all MR are failed SP.
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_15 View Post
The only way this happens is if the pitcher has 3+ good pitches and good stamina which is rare in MRs.
I have had some success with MR who have good stamina and two non-fastball pitches, like Sinker/Slider or Cutter/Curve. I have converted a few of these into starters and had mixed success. It can be done but you'll have to live with a SP who never progresses past a half star overall despite winning 15+ games as a starter two years in a row.

Keep an eye on any MR with good stamina, though. Every now and then one will suddenly develop a third pitch and become unhappy as their expectation suddenly changes from bullpen to starter.

Quote:
I think if you give a reliever spot starts and a bigger workload overall their stamina should increase. The stamina concept in this game needs work.
I don't recall ever seeing any pitcher's stamina go up. Always down. (Could be wrong as I don't keep careful records.) Definitely a bug, though.
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
whipple.ck
Bat Boy

Sometimes i get a starter with stamina around 30 (out of 100). It really sucks cause i dont know how to work with a 4-5 inning starter. I have one so good that when i try to trade him the assistant coach thinks im getting ripped off and ruining the team. And i know from experience if i make him a closer his stamina will drop down below 10.

Will a starter never improve his stamina?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_15 View Post
This +100000000000000000000000000
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Agreed: stamina needs tweaking, as does the mislabeling of MRs and CLs in the draft as SPs.

Players are rated for greed (and perhaps other factors), ratings that are hidden from us. Would coding be too costly in coders' time and/or memory to have a "work ethic" factor, too, which might influence potential stamina increases, potential third pitches, etc. -- I think of a "work ethic" rating as including coachability, off-season work habits, gym-rat tendencies, proper diet, avoidance of demon rum, etc.

That should apply to defense, too -- don't 18-year-old fielders ever dramatically improve their defense?
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiser View Post
Agreed: stamina needs tweaking, as does the mislabeling of MRs and CLs in the draft as SPs.

Players are rated for greed (and perhaps other factors), ratings that are hidden from us. Would coding be too costly in coders' time and/or memory to have a "work ethic" factor, too, which might influence potential stamina increases, potential third pitches, etc. -- I think of a "work ethic" rating as including coachability, off-season work habits, gym-rat tendencies, proper diet, avoidance of demon rum, etc.

That should apply to defense, too -- don't 18-year-old fielders ever dramatically improve their defense?
I've found that most position players get better at fielding while playing in the majors. However, you need to make sure their range/arm ratings are good for their position (i.e. Right/left fielders need good outfield arm, 3rd basemen need good infield arm, 2nd basemen usually need good infield range, etc.) otherwise you shouldn't expect improvement. So, for example, if you have an 18 year old RF and his "defense at RF" stat isn't good but his OF range is ok and his OF arm is good then you shouldn't worry.

On the other hand, if you have an 18 year old catcher and his catching abilities are bad, then he will likely never get a good defense rating.
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
whipple.ck
Bat Boy

If a pitcher increases his stamina his other ratings should probably come down a little including pitch speed just like a sprinter would if he decided to become a long-distance runner.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #14
paul.m.w.
Major Leagues

Now with the player editor... It changes this discussion a bit.
We can now experiment with giving someone an extra pitch before making them a starter.

Changes a lot....
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
paul.m.w.
Major Leagues

Old 05-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #16
paul.m.w.
Major Leagues

I raised his stamina, and added a pitch( or was that two...?)
After a year, he's now a slotted starter and expects to be one.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
paul.m.w.
Major Leagues

Experiment proven. In one case at least...
Goose Gossage! A starter!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #18
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.m.w. View Post
Experiment proven. In one case at least...
Goose Gossage! A starter!
This is the only place I used I have used the editor so far. I kept it to stamina to give players who were starting pitchers the chance to become starters. I got tired of HOF caliber pitchers washing out. In a way as tough as it is to watch an actual HOF flame out, it makes the game realistic in the sense that you only think you know what your drafting but you never know how it will turn out. Sort of a double edge sword. It took me playing a while to accept it.

I know someone who only plays fictional so he doesn't have any expectation on a player based on his real life stats.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #19
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
If you are playing a historical league, with no recalc, you NEED to go under advanced settings in the creation wizard and set Stamina to be based on the player's entire career. Default is a 3-year period, so if a pitcher spent the better part of his first 3 seasons as a reliever he will NEVER (almost) become a starter without recalc.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #20
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
If you are playing a historical league, with no recalc, you NEED to go under advanced settings in the creation wizard and set Stamina to be based on the player's entire career. Default is a 3-year period, so if a pitcher spent the better part of his first 3 seasons as a reliever he will NEVER (almost) become a starter without recalc.
I never noticed advanced settings, I will have to check it out. Much easier than editing each pitcher I think needs to convert to a starter.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote