Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

19th century league project

We all know that 19th century baseball is one of the hardest things to reproduce in ootp. Though the game gives you the opportunity to start a 19th century league , the tradeoff is that it is not completely accurate. Some of us oldies are well aware of the workarounds to get a more accurate replay. One example is team movement. With the game it follows a path that was needed in order to let new people progress easily to the AL and NL merger. Lets not forget that it took some convincing to get Markus to add 19th century play to the game. I think it was something that was shown by us members that it could be put it in the game and not something that was intended. So I think the challenge remains for us to improve it. That is why I created this thread. For us all to gather ideas and see what we can do.

To start with here are my suggestions. I think we need to make a startup league for each of the professional leagues before the merger. I think these leagues need to be able to use the AL and NL abbreviation separately from another league. Reason is the game doesn’t recognize AA abbreviation as far as I know. Once you start a league the game will follow the team progression even if you have an odd number of teams. You just can create a league with an odd numbered of teams.

Well what about duplicate players? Well that’s why each startup league needs its own teams and Master file in the database. In the teams file we should eliminate any teams that played during the life of that league. For example with the UA in 1884 you would eliminate the NL & AL teams. For the Master file we need to have each file with only the rookies that played in that league. I already have done this though there may be a few I missed. But if we have rookies for each league then you can concentrate on transactions.

Transactions are a key to 19th century leagues. If you have accurate rosters the chances are better to have more accurate stats. I think transactions can someday be done automatically but for now they should be simple. A player is either retired, unretired, released or signed. This would eliminate roster problems. If it was the actual roster and worked then it should work in ootp unless you play a 162 game season with injuries set high.
The problem with that is that teams will sign players as soon as you proceed to the offseason if there is no expansion draft. The solution is too have an expansion draft. Before the draft you will have to make all protection lists but if you follow a transaction list for retired, unretired, release and signed players then all the players left on the roster should be on the protected list. Then you run the expansion draft. The computer will not draft any free agents. After that the rookies should import to the correct teams.

One important thing is that you each team should have a human manager in control of signing and releasing players. Why not just create all the historical managers and put them in the game as an addon?

Im sure other people have ideas and found things that work and don’t work. I was just curious if anybody else would be interested in trying to make 19th century play better.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
WFIL73
Minors (Single A)

Where to begin?
I manually add and subtract teams.

I don't have human managers for any teams, but I constantly have transactions on and off through out the season. What about players who are "missing" the season. I have that option turned off and make them injured for 365 days every Jan. 1. Drawback? They can become injured career-ending injuries. The computer would sign players skipping a season or two so I "fixed" that problem.

For all player-managers I have retired that player, made them a coach and unretired them. My teams only have managers and maybe a bench coach. That's it. There are no managers in League Personnel. This made unwanted firings almost nonexistent. Why fire someone when there is no one to replace them? It does happen, but once or twice every 15 years.

Only my National League gets the database load. The UA, PL and especially the AA just sign their rookies as free agents. This means you really have to pay attention when the seasons end for each league. When the NL ends new players come in so I have to have all transactions off. And when the AA ends fictional free agents come in so they have to be deleted before finishing a day.

Injuries are on, but on very low.

Suspensions are on, but I've hardly had any.

More often than not I have players retire as in real life.

Do I make it more difficult? Probably, but that's how I do it.
Do I do this every time? No.

This took a lot of trial and error, but it seems to work for me anyway.
WFIL73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

You do know that team progression can be automatic? Even if you chhose not to follow history it can still be automatic.
The purpose of human managers for me is to prevent the computer from signing and releasing players. So I thought why not just use historical manager names.

The way I have it setup the teams match history. Rookies come in automatically to the team they played for in real history. I make sure I use as played schedules. So all I have to worry about is transactions.
Well if I retire player John Doe I dont have to worry about his missing seasons because he should be on the unretire list.
Retire list
John Doe 05/22/1881 Chi

Unretirement list
John Doe 07/04/1886 Det
I think that is something the game could automate if we made the list. I had the NA done
but I lost it when I wiped my hard drive. The game does missing seasons but I dont think it
would put players on the correct teams.
As far as settings I agree with low injuries but if we made a startup for each league we would to decide on the settings then.
I also have logos from justafan that automatically change for each team. Of course for the 19th century they may not be historically correct since logos were few back then. I tried to keep it simple like the ones they did have. No fancy ones. If anyone else has some i wouldnt mind comparing it to what I have. But in the end logos I think would be an optional thing.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I am seeing player stats almost exactly like real history. I just had Al Spalding go 21-10 in 1871 when he went 19-10 in the real thing.

I would be willing to share what I have if anyone wanted to try it and test my method. It might give a clearer picture of how I do it and you may have a suggestion or it may help you.

My main in concern right now is can I use separate databases for each league. I think I can do that. And what to do when a league folds. I know players can be moved from one league to another.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
WFIL73
Minors (Single A)

But if you have each league load a database you'll end up with duplicate players. I guess you could load the DB and then delete any free agents. You'll just need to have the correct team ID in place before the load. I usually add the new team after the load (mid October) and then sign those rookies as FA. I guess you could add the team on the day between "End of the Season" and "Beginning of Offseason". Give me the weekend and I'll try it.

When a league folds and you have to empty the rosters on the teams - and they become universal free agents. If I remember right, if you don't empty the rosters and delete the league there is an issue. I usually gutted the league of players and teams and then waited till its preseason began to totally delete the league.

As a rule I have rosters at 15 and an endless reserve list. The players that played one game for their career sometimes end up not playing at all and that's ok. The highest season win total I got was Monte Ward in 1880 had 46. The stats have been pretty close and the standings are even closer sometimes that it's scary.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

You would not have dupicate players cause thats the whole point of separate databases. The master file would contain only that leagues's rookies. So Cap Anson would be in the National Association master file but not in the National league. If we do transactions as they happened in real life then rosters would not be s problem cause it would be the same as real history.

Last edited by BaseballMan; 07-18-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
WFIL73
Minors (Single A)

Oh yeah, I was not thinking clearly this morning. That would be cool, but I have no idea how to do such things you would like to create. I guess I wouldn't be much help. There are no clear dates for early transactions. I have just either waited till they played the actual number of games IRL, their team plays the actual number of games IRL, or if they've been on the reserve list all year they are released by August 1. On every April 1 I've also been suspending all rookies the number of games until their actual debut. In 1885 Detroit does not have Sam Thompson all year, just the second half. I also manually see that Dan Brouthers does not play a full season with Troy, but is released (or injured) when his actual transaction happens.

Last edited by WFIL73; 07-18-2013 at 10:49 PM.