Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
waltwa
All Star Reserve

starting a random debut league 13 or 14

is it possible to start a random debut league in 2011 but only have players from 1900 rather than 1871. I guess an additional question would be how about players from 1945 to the present.

I don't want to delete the players out of the era I want by hand unless it can be done easily.
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwa View Post
is it possible to start a random debut league in 2011 but only have players from 1900 rather than 1871. I guess an additional question would be how about players from 1945 to the present.

I don't want to delete the players out of the era I want by hand unless it can be done easily.
No. I have wondered about suggesting if we can pick an era for the random debut, but didn;t feel it was that important. i believe one or 2 others have thought or suggested the same thing. i would love to start in 1901 but have all players be from 1975 and beyond for the inaugural draft.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
No. I have wondered about suggesting if we can pick an era for the random debut, but didn;t feel it was that important. i believe one or 2 others have thought or suggested the same thing. i would love to start in 1901 but have all players be from 1975 and beyond for the inaugural draft.
I would love it if we could choose a starting point. Not a big fan of having the guys that played pre 1900 in my leagues.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

I know it's not as easy as simply typing in a start year but IIRC, you can indicate to OOTP the database you want to draw your random debut guys from. You could make a duplicate of the current database (so you don't lose anything for the next game you create), delete out the guys you don't want in that database for a particular league using Excel, and then just point to that database for your new league. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes if Markus doesn't pick up on your suggestion.

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
waylander
Minors (Double A)

Building on that - Is there a way to designate the starting age with random debut? The frustrating thing for me is starting a league and seeing one of my favorite players already at the twilight of their careers....
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
waltwa
All Star Reserve

I am glad I brought this topic up. I think ultimately markus will have to deal with this question. hopefully soon.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
Building on that - Is there a way to designate the starting age with random debut? The frustrating thing for me is starting a league and seeing one of my favorite players already at the twilight of their careers....
Has anyone ever tried starting a historical league at a certain year(example 1972) and then using random debut rookies from that point forward? I see this as one way of assuring you don't get a 37 year old Babe Ruth. The game pretty much has to bring guys in at all different ages or the logjam effect of everyone being in their prime would cripple the game. Starting in a particular year would give you a good age mix. I just don't know if what I'm suggesting is possible.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
waltwa
All Star Reserve

I haven't given this comment a lot of thought but it seems a good idea if all players come into the league at the actual age that they entered baseball in the minor leagues. we are only talking about players that actually reached the major leagues
Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
If you delete the older aged guys on Day 1, they will eventually show up as a rookie: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3305596

If you want to start with all random debut rookies, I seem to recall that being done by someone on this board but I don't have specifics. You'd have to search for it.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Has anyone ever tried starting a historical league at a certain year(example 1972) and then using random debut rookies from that point forward? I see this as one way of assuring you don't get a 37 year old Babe Ruth. The game pretty much has to bring guys in at all different ages or the logjam effect of everyone being in their prime would cripple the game. Starting in a particular year would give you a good age mix. I just don't know if what I'm suggesting is possible.
I sort of did that here: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...g-forward.html

Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
waylander
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
If you delete the older aged guys on Day 1, they will eventually show up as a rookie: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3305596

If you want to start with all random debut rookies, I seem to recall that being done by someone on this board but I don't have specifics. You'd have to search for it.
Thanks. I wonder is Markus added this?

I contacted Markus and asked him if it was possible to allow us to select if the Random players will appear with a random age or the age they really entered the majors ...

He likes the idea and promised to include it in a future patch, most likely the June patch after his well-deserved vacation
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote