Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
bad ad
Minors (Rookie Ball)

What commitment is required for online play?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this - maybe it should be in general?

I am interested in taking part in an online league, but don't know what type of commitment is required. I should also mention that not only am I a novice when it comes to ootp, but I am UK based and no expert on baseball. I have been doing my best to educate myself - reading through countless threads on ootp, getting ESPN so I can watch baseball on t.v., devouring books (The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract, Moneyball, Watching Baseball Smarter etc). I am deep in a baseball addiction at the moment!

What I don't want to do is bugger up anyones online league by being incompetent, but do like the idea of playing online.

Anyway, I appologize if this is the wrong forum - just looking for some info about what type of commitment is needed for online play.
bad ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad ad View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this - maybe it should be in general?

I am interested in taking part in an online league, but don't know what type of commitment is required. I should also mention that not only am I a novice when it comes to ootp, but I am UK based and no expert on baseball. I have been doing my best to educate myself - reading through countless threads on ootp, getting ESPN so I can watch baseball on t.v., devouring books (The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract, Moneyball, Watching Baseball Smarter etc). I am deep in a baseball addiction at the moment!

What I don't want to do is bugger up anyones online league by being incompetent, but do like the idea of playing online.

Anyway, I appologize if this is the wrong forum - just looking for some info about what type of commitment is needed for online play.
Most leagues welcome new blood and don't see it as a problem if your new to the game, the commish of every league I've been in have always been willing to help if you have a problem and most members will help you as well. Also only one league in all the time I've been playing as ever turned me down because of where I come from so coming from the UK shouldn't be a problem.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Jaxxvain
All Star Reserve

Quote:
, just looking for some info about what type of commitment is needed for online play.
This varies by league and GM, but I would say that you need around 15 minutes or so, per sim day, to open up OOTP and download the latest file, tweak line-ups and handle injuries.

Figure on another 15 minutes or so to read the league's message boards, and perhaps post a few topics yourself.

Outside of that, it depends on how deep you want to scout, trade, write about the league, etc.

I spend about an hour a day checking my leagues out, sometimes a bit (a lot) more when scouting for a draft or a trade.
Jaxxvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Besides the daily commitment there is the never-ending aspect to it unless the league quits before you quit.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
kq76
Global Moderator

If you're worried about not having enough time, I'd advise only joining one league at first. That way you'll get a decent idea at how much time you want to spend and whether or not you want to spend even more time by joining another. In the past I've occasionally experienced guilt over not spending enough time on my team, but I'd say it's rare to get to that point when you're only in one league.

The time I spend varies. Some parts of the season, like during free agency or the draft, I'll spend hours pouring over ratings and stats, but most sims I'll spend only 5-15 minutes downloading the file, making changes if need be, and exporting. It's really up to you though. Some days I'm just not interested so I'll only do the bare minimum while other days it's the opposite.

I like to think most leagues are quite welcoming of OOTP newbies and don't care where you live (I've never personally experienced the opposite of either), but if you do find that rare league that isn't then just try another. You'll probably find a league that fits just what you want sooner than later.

Last edited by kq76; 08-07-2012 at 10:08 PM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
JWay
Hall Of Famer

We've nurtured newbies time and time again, I'd say I spent 10-30 minutes a day on average perusing my league. Its a lot of fun, and somedays it gets longer, but that's because I'm sucked in, not because I have to do so...

Classic Baseball Union | Just another OOTP Baseball Simulation

We don't have any openings right now, but if we do and you're interested, I'll make sure you get up and going just fine.
JWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
bad ad
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies, I am defintely going to give it a go!
bad ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
mike2228
Major Leagues

Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies, I am defintely going to give it a go!
You're going to love it.
mike2228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
JDevil
All Star Reserve

I'll just echo the comments already made. It really depends on what YOU want to get out of it. The bare minimum would be to download the new file, tweak your lineup and export it again.

I on the other hand am in only one league (the one I commish) and I am looking at it constantly. I go over every box score my major league team plays. I look at the stats by week for all levels of my organization, and I micromanage the lineups and pitching staffs of all levels. I check the statistical leaders, the attendance figures, the team stats for every team in the league each sim. Then I look ahead to my next week and try to get my lineups set in the best manner possible against the projected starters of my opponents, but thats just me.

Here is the link to our league.

NARBL