Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #281
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Not taking the Ref's side, but I think it's partly because they've been put in a position of "damned if we do, damned if we don't".

Trying to please everyone all the time doesn't work.

And I'm sure part of it is the Ref's saying "enough is enough with the rule changes and what we should/shouldn't call".
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #282
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

NFL consistantly gets 80000+ fans at NFL games in London. When will london get a team?

My proposal? 4 teams in England, 2 in London, 1 in Manchester, 1 in Liverpool. Charge a $1.5B expansion fee.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #283
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I am a Chiefs fan. I think we had a great draft and acquired good free agents. Super excited about Mahomes. NOT excited about the season. I am snakebit and tired. Will still be the Patriots in the AFC Championship. Even against the Chiefs, the Pats will win. Last year's AFC Championship just took every wind from my gut. I see Kansas City is just insane bonkers and tv personalities are calling the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Not buying it. The Pats may not go to the Super Bowl, but they will still one up the Chiefs. I may be wrong. But just remember this post when the season is over.

I posted the above before the season even started. Now, the Pats are two games better than the rest of the AFC, probably looking at home field, blah, blah, blah, 7th ring for Brady, blah, blah, blah.

Now, I know how Cubs fans felt for all those years! "We'll get 'em next year, next year, next year, next year, next year...........
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #284
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I am a Chiefs fan. I think we had a great draft and acquired good free agents. Super excited about Mahomes. NOT excited about the season. I am snakebit and tired. Will still be the Patriots in the AFC Championship. Even against the Chiefs, the Pats will win. Last year's AFC Championship just took every wind from my gut. I see Kansas City is just insane bonkers and tv personalities are calling the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Not buying it. The Pats may not go to the Super Bowl, but they will still one up the Chiefs. I may be wrong. But just remember this post when the season is over.

I posted the above before the season even started. Now, the Pats are two games better than the rest of the AFC, probably looking at home field, blah, blah, blah, 7th ring for Brady, blah, blah, blah.

At least this Chiefs team is good enough to probably be in the AFC championship game. I'm a Cowboys fan and we lost today to absolute trash. The Jets are the bed pan of the league. Their organization and team spanning back to the 80s have been similar to a homeless person. This is what we lost to.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #285
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

I have a question for my fellow NFL fans. Am I the only person that doesn't think quarterbacks are mythical beings that perform in a vacuum? That they need a team around them to succeed? Or do people here also think quarterbacks like Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw would bring a team like the Miami Dolphins of today to the super bowl?
Old 10-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #286
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I have a question for my fellow NFL fans. Am I the only person that doesn't think quarterbacks are mythical beings that perform in a vacuum? That they need a team around them to succeed? Or do people here also think quarterbacks like Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw would bring a team like the Miami Dolphins of today to the super bowl?
I don't think QB's alone can make a team SB winner. I do believe a QB can make a team a winner by his presence alone.

I think John Elway was a perfect example. With him, Denver was consistently a playoff team. Even made it to the SB. But they kept losing. You look back at those teams w/Dan Reeves and there was no one on his offense was making the HOF. It was when Shanahan got there along w/T.Davis & Shannon Sharpe, Gary Zimmerman that he finally won 2.

So my theory is a great QB can turn an average team into a playoff team. But he can't turn it into a champion. But you can't be a champion if you don't have an average QB minimum, no matter how good the rest of your roster is.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:12 PM   #287
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

U couldn't pay me to be a Charger fan. My heart doesn't need all of that grief.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #288
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

One of my biggest peeves is people who determine a QBs greatness by how many championships he's won. These same people also call football the "ultimate team sport". Well, which is it? Last time I checked, there are over 50 players on an NFL team and the QB only takes part in 1/3 of the game played. In what world does this logic make sense? Maybe in tennis or golf. My argument is simple. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, Dan Marino never did. Who's the better QB?
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #289
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I don't think QB's alone can make a team SB winner. I do believe a QB can make a team a winner by his presence alone.

I think John Elway was a perfect example. With him, Denver was consistently a playoff team. Even made it to the SB. But they kept losing. You look back at those teams w/Dan Reeves and there was no one on his offense was making the HOF. It was when Shanahan got there along w/T.Davis & Shannon Sharpe, Gary Zimmerman that he finally won 2.

So my theory is a great QB can turn an average team into a playoff team. But he can't turn it into a champion. But you can't be a champion if you don't have an average QB minimum, no matter how good the rest of your roster is.
Interesting that you bring up Elway as he is one of my favorite QBs of all time. A quarterback not surrounded by hall of famers yet took his team to multiple super bowls against juggernauts he could not overcome.

The reason I brought this up is because there are people that think a good QB will play well regardless of talent. You still have to have some talent around you. That you really can't judge a quarterback like Rosen on these current Dolphins. Yet people do.

There was a quarterback once that went 0 for his first 11 starts. Had a 53% completion percentage, tossed 9 TDs and had 18 interceptions. Did the team draft another QB? No. He went on to win 3 super bowls in the next 6 years. People today are just so smitten by QBs that they fail to realize they can't do it all by themselves. They have to have something to work with. Most of the famous quarterbacks of the past had stacked offenses. Which goes back to why I liked Elway because he did not.

I don't know. I think maybe a lot of these people either never played football or just don't understand the game in general. Probably both.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:38 AM   #290
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Week 1: 6-7 Week 2: 7-9 Week 3: 11-4 Week 4: 8-7 Week 5: 7-8 Total: 39-35

Week 6

NYG @ NE(-16.5) Pick: NE won

CAR(-2) @ TB Pick: TB loss

CIN @ BAL(-11) Pick: BAL loss

SEA(-1) @ CLE Pick: SEA won

NO @ JAX(-1.5) Pick: NO won

HOU @ KC(-5) Pick: KC loss

WAS(-3.5) @ MIA - Pick: MIA won

PHI @ MIN(-3) - Pick: MIN won

ATL(-2.5) @ ARI - PICK: ATL loss

SF @ LAR(-3.5) Pick: SF won

TEN @ DEN(-2.5) Pick: DEN won

DAL(-7) @ NYJ Pick: DAL loss

PIT @ LAC(-6.5) Pick: PIT won

DET @ GB(-4.5) PICK: GB

8-5 going into Monday night, not too shabby
Old 10-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #291
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

I dared myself to watch the Washington and Miami game, in 30+ years of watching the NFL I have never seen a more painful game since I watched Cleveland and Philadelphia at Wembley years ago and that was a preseason game.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:09 AM   #292
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
NFL consistantly gets 80000+ fans at NFL games in London. When will london get a team?

My proposal? 4 teams in England, 2 in London, 1 in Manchester, 1 in Liverpool. Charge a $1.5B expansion fee.
They at least fill the stadium, Miami was half full or half empty depending on your take of life.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #293
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The reason I brought this up is because there are people that think a good QB will play well regardless of talent. You still have to have some talent around you. That you really can't judge a quarterback like Rosen on these current Dolphins. Yet people do.

People today are just so smitten by QBs that they fail to realize they can't do it all by themselves. They have to have something to work with. Most of the famous quarterbacks of the past had stacked offenses. Which goes back to why I liked Elway because he did not.

I don't know. I think maybe a lot of these people either never played football or just don't understand the game in general. Probably both.
I agree with you for the most part. Unless you know what the play design was on each snap, the only ones that can truly judge a QB's performance are the staff that breaks down film post game. They always say Archie Manning was a great QB but on sorry teams. But as they say, when you win, the QB gets too much praise, when you lose, they get too much blame.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #294
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

While everyone wants to point out Kyle Allen as the reason the Panthers are winning, let me point out the following: W/Cam Newton, Panther D avg 2 sacks & half a turnover per game. In the 4 games Newton has sat, the D is averaging over 3.5 turnovers and 5.7 sacks per game. Exactly how was Cam Newton holding the defense back?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #295
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I had to laugh
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #296
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
One of my biggest peeves is people who determine a QBs greatness by how many championships he's won. These same people also call football the "ultimate team sport". Well, which is it? Last time I checked, there are over 50 players on an NFL team and the QB only takes part in 1/3 of the game played. In what world does this logic make sense? Maybe in tennis or golf. My argument is simple. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, Dan Marino never did. Who's the better QB?
Not really a fair comparison. You would not put Dilfer in Marino's class with or without a championship. I don't think most people would compare those two players as being on the same field of greatness. A better comparison would be between Marino and Elway. If anyone even considered Dilfer a better qb, its probably time to watch another sport.
But does Elway's championships get him over the top or did Marino play on worst teams? I think Marino could have won the 2 championships with those bronco teams but i'm not sure he could have led them to Elway's other 3 super bowls. Could Elway have led the Dolphins to more super bowls i dont know.

You also have to factor in the way the game is played when comparing qbs. Marino passing for 5,000 yds was harder to do back then.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #297
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Not really a fair comparison. You would not put Dilfer in Marino's class with or without a championship. I don't think most people would compare those two players as being on the same field of greatness. A better comparison would be between Marino and Elway. If anyone even considered Dilfer a better qb, its probably time to watch another sport.
But does Elway's championships get him over the top or did Marino play on worst teams? I think Marino could have won the 2 championships with those bronco teams but i'm not sure he could have led them to Elway's other 3 super bowls. Could Elway have led the Dolphins to more super bowls i dont know.

You also have to factor in the way the game is played when comparing qbs. Marino passing for 5,000 yds was harder to do back then.
On the other hand, I don't think you can count Brady's 6 SB's against him considering he was a 6th round draft pick and the Patriots lack of super bowl success before he came.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #298
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I get mad when people discount rings. I get mad when people only count rings. Rings are a factor. A huge factor. But not the only factor.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #299
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I get mad when people discount rings. I get mad when people only count rings. Rings are a factor. A huge factor. But not the only factor.
I can't think of any argument that doesn't include Brady as G.O.A.T. Except maybe the cheating.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #300
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
I can't think of any argument that doesn't include Brady as G.O.A.T. Except maybe the cheating.
I'm not Patriots fan. But in what manner did Brady cheat? I played a lot of football in my life and this entire conversation regarding the air pressure in the ball really showed me who never played a football game in their life. Sometimes certain topics and the things they say about them can truly expose people for what they truly do not know.