Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
BKL
All Star Reserve

Playing Method - My Dilemma

I have been playing OOTP since 2002 - it has been with me through college, starting my career, girlfriends, starting a business, marriage, buying a house, and now two kids! It's been the best game I've ever played, and has brought a lot of joy to my life and helped me escape "real" life.

Here's my dilemma: I enjoy getting to know my teams well and typically play out games with a customized 80 game season. The issue I have is that it takes a long time - months - for me to get through a season. I'm looking for other ways to play to develop more of a history. I'm thinking about turning more towards simulating each day instead of playing them out. Can anyone provide their insights as to how they can get through season reasonably quick, while getting to know their teams, enjoying the detail, etc.?

One of the beauty of baseball is the history of building statistics and records. By playing out each game this takes such a long time, so I'm kind of looking to experiment playing methods to build history while enjoying the managing and developing of the team.

Thanks!
Brian
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
I have been playing OOTP since 2002 - it has been with me through college, starting my career, girlfriends, starting a business, marriage, buying a house, and now two kids! It's been the best game I've ever played, and has brought a lot of joy to my life and helped me escape "real" life.

Here's my dilemma: I enjoy getting to know my teams well and typically play out games with a customized 80 game season. The issue I have is that it takes a long time - months - for me to get through a season. I'm looking for other ways to play to develop more of a history. I'm thinking about turning more towards simulating each day instead of playing them out. Can anyone provide their insights as to how they can get through season reasonably quick, while getting to know their teams, enjoying the detail, etc.?

One of the beauty of baseball is the history of building statistics and records. By playing out each game this takes such a long time, so I'm kind of looking to experiment playing methods to build history while enjoying the managing and developing of the team.

Thanks!
Brian
Have you ever thought about "Eugene Churching" your games? Sim until the 6th or 7th inning and then take control? This will get you through games quicker, but allow you to maintain a feel for your players.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

I recently switched from GM/Manager to GM-only for the same reason. I want to see my star 1B get his number retired, and I don't want to wait real-life years for it to happen. What I've taken to doing is, rather than straight-up simming, I go into the game, sim to the 4th, check the game log so I know what happened, sim to the 7th, check the log again, and then make a decision on whether I want to watch it play out or sim through the rest of it. And then for important games I'll watch the whole thing unless it's a blowout.

Especially if you only have an 80-game season, that should allow you to blast through it. The other thing I would recommend is taking full control of your minor leagues. Having to constantly evaluate and re-evaluate everyone in your organization is a great way to get to know them.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
shipfb21
Minors (Double A)

I play in gm only mode and just sim each day one at a time. I always check my teams box score and sometimes even the game log if I notice something that I want to read about, like a walk off home run, a 1 hitter, etc... I read the league news each week to get a feel of whats happening within the universe... I spend time checking stats from my team, league leaders, and occasionally ill check out other teams and how they are doing... I have several different short lists, such as players to keep an eye on, hot prospects, players I would like to acquire, etc... along with the shortlists, I make notes on players, for example if a draft pick demanded a huge bonus and didnt sign I would create a note, or if a player has a storyline going on, or anything i feel would help me bring my world 2 life. I just take my time and enjoy everything the game has to offer. doing things this way helps me get immersed into my world and I can get through seasons relatively quickly, depending on how often I play. typically I can finish a whole season and offseason in 1-2 weeks...
shipfb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Have had 2 players of mine get their number retired. It seems that the numbers get retired the day after they announce their retirement of which is usually at end of season.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I play out the games as long as I am in contention or it is obvious that I have it wrapped up. I use 10+ up or down as yardstick. Then I switch to day-by-day.

I find that I can get through the seasons a little more quickly that way without losing the thrill of a close race.

Right now I'm down by 8 1/2 games and I am now switching to day-by-day. It is clear to me that I will not catch the 1st place team.

Anyhow, once I go to day-today I make sure that I read every news article like I would if I was playing out each game. I check the leaderboards history etc. all the same.

I find that as long as I take day-to-day slow enough I still get the gist of the league.

I always watch the All-star game in full and I always watch the playoffs on the game day screen. I'll even jump into the championship series around game 6 to watch the conclusion.

My suggestion is to make sure that you don't let the speed of daily sims overwhelm your ability to know the in's and out's of what's going on.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I recently switched from GM/Manager to GM-only for the same reason. I want to see my star 1B get his number retired, and I don't want to wait real-life years for it to happen. What I've taken to doing is, rather than straight-up simming, I go into the game, sim to the 4th, check the game log so I know what happened, sim to the 7th, check the log again, and then make a decision on whether I want to watch it play out or sim through the rest of it. And then for important games I'll watch the whole thing unless it's a blowout.

Especially if you only have an 80-game season, that should allow you to blast through it. The other thing I would recommend is taking full control of your minor leagues. Having to constantly evaluate and re-evaluate everyone in your organization is a great way to get to know them.
I like the 3 inning-at-a-time idea. I may try it out until I'm more than 10 out.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

One of the things I do is to first Quick-Play only my game for the day. That way it will populate all the Performances of the Day with players for my game. You can see who did well for that game and how the game turned out before hitting the Auto-Play until Tomorrow button. Additionally, I stretch out the screen as much as I can horizontally (across two monitors). That allows more room for more Performances of the Day across the top (I get 7 if I do that).

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Ever since I started swimming through the first 6 innings, I don't know if I could ever go back to playing every inning. For me, that works best. Blows through seasons pretty quick in Manager mode. However if the GM would make smarter moves, I'd be happier.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

I do a sort of modified "Eugene Church", I sim half innings as long as my starter is in and either sim through my team's half or play through, depending on what's happening. Once the starter is done I watch more closely because the AI bullpen use makes me crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Right now I'm down by 8 1/2 games and I am now switching to day-by-day. It is clear to me that I will not catch the 1st place team.
How many times, roughly, has your team scrambled back in it and proved you wrong? I've held July fire sales before only to end up a few games short at the end of the season.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
One of the things I do is to first Quick-Play only my game for the day. That way it will populate all the Performances of the Day with players for my game. You can see who did well for that game and how the game turned out before hitting the Auto-Play until Tomorrow button. Additionally, I stretch out the screen as much as I can horizontally (across two monitors). That allows more room for more Performances of the Day across the top (I get 7 if I do that).
same here

Old 06-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLoophole View Post
I do a sort of modified "Eugene Church", I sim half innings as long as my starter is in and either sim through my team's half or play through, depending on what's happening. Once the starter is done I watch more closely because the AI bullpen use makes me crazy.

How many times, roughly, has your team scrambled back in it and proved you wrong? I've held July fire sales before only to end up a few games short at the end of the season.
They're too stacked.

I'll be lucky to catch them the season after next.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #13
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks!
Brian
I have 7 leagues. In 3 of those leagues I have a dynasty thread. I have not played one game in my ABF league through 75 seasons and yet I can recite almost every players stats. I can tell you how great the Chicago Fire were in most years and how bad they were in others. My EBL league which i play the majority of games in I prefer over RL baseball.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks!
Brian
have 2 leagues. one you play out and have a feel, one you sim week to week.

you'll learn a ton about offseason and how to maintain your team in the sim league.

i usually mix it up a bit. i will play a game out on occasion, i will sim the first portion or second portion of the game, or i will sim week to week - with more attention given after monthly scouting reports. sometimes i only focus on 1 pitcher and i play his games out.

don't feel pigeon-holed into one playing style.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #15
fuzzy_patters
All Star Starter

One thing that makes playing the games out go faster is to switch to instant, short PBP. I can get through a game in a few minutes, and I still get to see games play-out and become attached to the guys who get the big hits and hate the relievers who keep blowing games.
fuzzy_patters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #16
Trebro
All Star Reserve

So I was playing around with a Promo-Rel idea, and decided "Ah, heck, I'll jump in an take one of the teams that fired both GM and Manager and try playing out more."

I'm using the "sim to the 7th" concept, and wow! That's a ton of fun! I still feel like I'm managing, but I don't feel like I'm just "hitting 1 over and over again" which is my general "play it out" problem. Seeing so many of you say you do that, while still playing out the games, gave me the incentive to try it.

Now if you'll excuse me, the owner wants me to keep trying to get into our Cup (aka expanded, soccer-like match instead of normal playoffs), and doesn't like me talking to others instead, LOL!

Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote