Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #41
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
How did Jack Morris do? Nice to see the Tigers do so well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-mitch View Post
Awesome to see the Tigers have the most Championships...

Also that Jeter was a Tiger for awhile.

It's just weird that Verlander was a lifelong Mariner.
It is great to see the Tigers do well. I'm a native Detroiter myself. Here is the Tigers' World Series history:

Name:  tigers ws.png
Views: 539
Size:  24.5 KB

They did not have any super dominant runs, outside of 1952-54, but for a while when they got to the Series, they won it. That said, I would have been aware of three Tigers World Series by now, which is fewer than the four I am aware of now (I woke up to the Tigers in 1968); and I would have seen two WS Championships, same as now.

As for Jack Morris: he had a long and semi-distinguished career with lots of teams, none of them the Tigers, and although he was a 2x All-Star and a 1985 Cy Young winner, when you add it all up, he came out pretty average, and well short of the Hall of Fame:

Name:  jack morris.png
Views: 551
Size:  76.3 KB

Last edited by chucksabr; 09-25-2014 at 11:29 AM.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #42
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaboyj View Post
How'd Cal Ripken and Ichiro do? At a somewhat lesser quality of play, how about Brian Roberts, Nick Markakis, Ryan Zimmerman and Tyler Clippard? And on a lower level, what about David Purcey and--a bit of a weird request--Doug Million?

Also, the Rockies winning six championships? I assume they had to go on a run somewhere. Can you tell us about it, maybe?

Sorry I have all these questions. I always get excited for these threads. I had a great 1871-2013 replay in OOTP13 which I loved looking at and always found something new in, until one day my computer died.
Both Ripken and Ichiro were Hall of Famers. Ripken did not have The Streak, but he was a 7x All-Star who had a nomadic career, playing on ten different teams, none of them the Orioles. The only thing he ever led the league in was doubles (1983) and sac flies twice.

Name:  cal ripken.png
Views: 433
Size:  80.6 KB

Ichiro was a 1x All-Star (2008) and 3x Gold Glove who led the league in hits 5x (2001, 02, 04, 06, 07), triple 2x (01, 03), and SB once (2004). Look how many teams he played for, too.

Name:  ichiro.png
Views: 426
Size:  440.1 KB
Old 09-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #43
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
It is great to see the Tigers do well. I'm a native Detroiter myself. Here is the Tigers' history:

Attachment 360308

They did not have any super dominant runs, outside of 1952-54, but for a while when they got to the Series, they won it. That said, I would have been aware of three Tigers World Series by now, which is fewer than the four I am aware of now (I woke up to the Tigers in 1968); and I would have seen two WS Championships, same as now.

As for Jack Morris: he had a long and semi-distinguished career with lots of teams, none of them the Tigers, and although he was a 2x All-Star and a 1985 Cy Young winner, when you add it all up, he came out pretty average, and well short of the Hall of Fame:

Attachment 360309
Just curious, how old were you in 1968? I was 4. I think my first Tiger memories start around 1970-71. Went to my first game in 1972.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #44
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How'd Cal Ripken and Ichiro do? At a somewhat lesser quality of play, how about Brian Roberts, Nick Markakis, Ryan Zimmerman and Tyler Clippard? And on a lower level, what about David Purcey and--a bit of a weird request--Doug Million?

Also, the Rockies winning six championships? I assume they had to go on a run somewhere. Can you tell us about it, maybe?

Sorry I have all these questions. I always get excited for these threads. I had a great 1871-2013 replay in OOTP13 which I loved looking at and always found something new in, until one day my computer died.
Brian Roberts led the league in doubles once (2006) and stolen bases 2x (03, 06). Never an Oriole.

Name:  brian roberts.png
Views: 450
Size:  446.4 KB

Nick Markakis was an Oriole for his first six years. He was ROY in 2006 and a 2x All-Star who led the league in hits in 2010 and doubles in 2009.

Name:  markakis.png
Views: 426
Size:  435.3 KB

Ryan Zimmerman was a 2x Gold Glove and a 2x All-Star who led the league in doubles twice (2006, 07). What he wasn't was a Washington National.

Name:  Ryan zim.png
Views: 418
Size:  437.4 KB

Here's Tyler Clippard. Decent career ERA+, but nothing else to say.

Name:  clippard.png
Views: 427
Size:  435.4 KB
Old 09-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #45
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Here's David Purcey.

Name:  purcey.png
Views: 420
Size:  412.4 KB

There is no Doug Million, since he quit on the minor leagues in 1997 when he was 21. I don't think the game is set up to take random minor leaguers throughout time and turn them into major leaguers, although that would be a pretty cool little feature if they somehow could. Are you he? Or do you somehow know him?

As for the Rockies, here is their World Series history:

Name:  rockies.png
Views: 405
Size:  13.8 KB

So yeah, they had a really good run of four straight in the twenty-teens.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #46
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just curious, how old were you in 1968? I was 4. I think my first Tiger memories start around 1970-71. Went to my first game in 1972.
I was six turning seven during that season. I was also attending special ed at the time, so I was not too aware of the Tigers while they were running away with the American League, because no one in class talked about it (or much of anything else, for that matter). The World Series turned on the light for me, and once I determined that following baseball was a numbers-intense activity, I got hooked.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #47
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

What about Jim Gosger, Bob Buhl and Homer Peel
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #48
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:

There is no Doug Million, since he quit on the minor leagues in 1997 when he was 21. I don't think the game is set up to take random minor leaguers throughout time and turn them into major leaguers, although that would be a pretty cool little feature if they somehow could. Are you he?

That would be pretty cool. Omar Cepeda's kid, Jose had a nifty little hitting streak here in low A Lansing. Tried to follow him, but he disappeared somewhere in AAA.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:56 AM   #49
dynaboyj
Major Leagues

Quote:
There is no Doug Million, since he quit on the minor leagues in 1997 when he was 21. I don't think the game is set up to take random minor leaguers throughout time and turn them into major leaguers, although that would be a pretty cool little feature if they somehow could. Are you he? Or do you somehow know him?
I am not he, sadly. I was using the Spritze database on the OOTP13 sim I mentioned, which includes a lot of obscure minor leaguers. Somehow he turned into an absolute superstar, with over 5000 strikeouts, and I think he was the sixth-best pitcher of the modern age by WAR. Thanks for answering all my questions, even if it took you three posts!
dynaboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #50
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not he, sadly. I was using the Spritze database on the OOTP13 sim I mentioned, which includes a lot of obscure minor leaguers. Somehow he turned into an absolute superstar, with over 5000 strikeouts, and I think he was the sixth-best pitcher of the modern age by WAR. Thanks for answering all my questions, even if it took you three posts!
That's probably the difference--I probably should have used that database going in, which would have made for some interesting anomalies like that.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #51
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What about Jim Gosger, Bob Buhl and Homer Peel
Jim "Gosger has a good head on his shoulders."

Name:  gosger.png
Views: 416
Size:  420.9 KB

Bob Buhl: "An average guy" who at no point went 0-for-70 for an entire season. He was, however, a 2x Gold Glover.

Name:  bob buhl.png
Views: 419
Size:  439.6 KB

Homer Peel: "He is considered one of the team leaders."

Name:  homer peel.png
Views: 433
Size:  403.8 KB
Old 09-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #52
philliephan101
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Chase utley, roy halladay, ryan howard, and hunter pence??
philliephan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #53
Morty Ruth
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hi there. I am really enjoying the chronicles of the English Baseball League -- thanks for writing them.

I am wondering here how exactly you generated these pitching and batting registers. I would like to do something similar for a 60s-era MLB replay, but have no idea how you did this.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
The Pirates made the playoffs 31 times since 1901, winning the pennant in 1906, 1945, 1965 and 2032, the last time they made the playoffs.

Here are their top fifteen hitters in total VORP for the team:

Attachment 359626

And their top fifteen pitchers in innings pitched:

Attachment 359627
Morty Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #54
Morty Ruth
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Never mind, found the registers with a little trick called a "Google search," in the nice manual.

Here is a link, if anyone else does not know:

Out of the Park Baseball Manual
Morty Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #55
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliephan101 View Post
Chase utley, roy halladay, ryan howard, and hunter pence??
I'd like to see this too, also how about Jason Werth, another great Phillie who helped them win in 2008.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #56
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

Still taking requests? Al Leiter???

He usually is a cup of coffee MR in most of these things.
LeiterFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote