Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Is Preseason Prediction Ever Accurate?

Last season my EBL Preseason Prediction had my team winning 128 games. I won 105 of 144. This year they have me at 98 wins. see the rest below. Strategy and finances are set to 1976.

1. Who pays attention to this feature?
2. Have you ever seen 1 spot on?
3. Post yours.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
hfield007
All Star Starter

I don't want it to accurately predict the championship which I'm glad it doesn't.
I do check it each season.
It does give a very accurate prediction I have found for me in guessing who the top 3 teams will be usually in each league. (with a few misses here and there which I like).
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Wow, with that kind of record it seems like your team is stacked!

You actually enjoy the fact that you are so dominant over the other teams and lack of competition?

Just curious, because I personally like to make the game harder for myself and impose a lot of house rules so that I don't take advantage of the weak AI.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
mouse001
Major Leagues

I think there's enough fog of war in the preseason predictions. If you have a big enough league it's good at seeing whose the top 50%, whose the bottom 50%. With plenty of room for surprises of course
mouse001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
weak AI.
What weak AI?? I always suck even without any house rules. Maybe I'm just a bad GM
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

LOL @ Markus
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

1. Who pays attention to this feature?

I do.

2. Have you ever seen 1 spot on?

No, and I hope I never do, because then I'd believe there was a problem with them.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Jaxxvain
All Star Reserve

I haven't seen it "spot on", which is good. I think it has a good amount of "fog of war".

But I do wish it would do a better job with the "realism" of the prediction. If you notice it often lists the SPs as having 40+ starts and the hitters almost always playing 160+ games (and seemingly not ever getting subbed out).
Jaxxvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

In the season I just finished in my dynasty, the AI accurately predicted the pennant winners in both leagues, and even got the runners-up correct. That's unusual, but not unprecedented. What I've found is that the AI will sometimes fixate on a team, predicting it to win the pennant for three or four straight years, even though the team never makes it that high. It's like the AI is saying "OK, this is the year, I just know it!"
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

I think this is the standard formulas that stats guys use to predict teams' records in the real world. It is possibly something like this.

Pythagorean expectation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Pythagorean expectation could be set as a function of all players' past runs and runs allowed. The Pythagorean expectation rarely nails the wins correctly but it is used as a measuring stick to determine if a team is under or over performing. For instance, I have read some article claiming the Houston Astros were over achievers in the 1990's to 2005 because the expectation was lower than actual wins.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Erik
All Star Reserve

Is there a way to pull this report up mid-season? I ask because I just started a new season and forgot to look at this report during Spring Training. Now when I go to Reports and try and pull it up it says it doesn't exist and I have to wait for next Spring.

I thought I read somewhere this report would be available during the entire year so we could reference it? How would I go about pulling it up?

Thanks.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Is there a way to pull this report up mid-season? I ask because I just started a new season and forgot to look at this report during Spring Training. Now when I go to Reports and try and pull it up it says it doesn't exist and I have to wait for next Spring.

I thought I read somewhere this report would be available during the entire year so we could reference it? How would I go about pulling it up?

Thanks.
If you run the report right after ST, then bookmark the page, it will be there for you to view at anytime during the season. The key is, running it before the season starts.

I always like to wait until opening day because then it covers opening day rosters. Running it prior to or during ST doesn't give a true picture imo because you have more than 25 guys on your active roster and injuries happen during ST that may not be accounted for if you run it before ST ends.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
mouse001
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
If you run the report right after ST, then bookmark the page, it will be there for you to view at anytime during the season. The key is, running it before the season starts.

I always like to wait until opening day because then it covers opening day rosters. Running it prior to or during ST doesn't give a true picture imo because you have more than 25 guys on your active roster and injuries happen during ST that may not be accounted for if you run it before ST ends.

You do have to run it in the preseason for it to appear though. Pro tip: Run it Opening Day, before any games get simulated. Uses any updated rosters and such.
Attached Images
mouse001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think the AI is quite challenging.. year 9 of my franchise and I have yet to make it to the WS. Won the WS with every verison previous to v12.

Like most, the report gives you a good idea of who will be good and who will be bad.. but like real life MLB preseason magazines, I don't want it 100% accurate either.

Run it after ST and you won't have to bookmark it as it will be under the reports section.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterking View Post
wow, with that kind of record it seems like your team is stacked!

You actually enjoy the fact that you are so dominant over the other teams and lack of competition?

Just curious, because i personally like to make the game harder for myself and impose a lot of house rules so that i don't take advantage of the weak ai.
+1
simcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
Wow, with that kind of record it seems like your team is stacked!

Just curious, because I personally like to make the game harder for myself and impose a lot of house rules so that I don't take advantage of the weak AI.
This league is a fictional Historical recreation. My Endor league i have been runing since the mid 80's when i go tired of playing with Star Wars & GI Joe figures and turned them all into baseball players. So I am still in teh dominant part. In 2009 I move to Rock City. I will have 3 decent offensive players but no pitching and no budget to work with. My league really starts in 2020 when I played as the new Ford Thunderbirds GM winning 3 WS in 7 seasons. Glenbard I had originally whether it was thru strat 0 matic or Hardball, TLR3 or HH had originally won 20 consecutive division titles not winning a WS until 2023 and never has made the playoffs since. They won the 2004 WS. (I originally had 4 2 team divisions in 2003 4 3 team divisions 2004-2008)

With this recreation, when I get to 2038 the last season I played on HH2k3 I will dump my 3 boxes worth of stats and print out the history of this league and use that for any future recreations of the EBL.
and my team doesn't seem as stacked as i would like them to be. I suck on D and have a terrible bullpen.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxvain View Post

But I do wish it would do a better job with the "realism" of the prediction. If you notice it often lists the SPs as having 40+ starts and the hitters almost always playing 160+ games (and seemingly not ever getting subbed out).
With my 4 SP I skip my #4 5-10 times so my top 3 SP see 38-39 starts. This prediction didnt even take into account the 3 NL SP who were injured as of OD and will win over 18 games.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
What weak AI?? I always suck even without any house rules. Maybe I'm just a bad GM
they prediction has you going 19-9 you went 19-11 last year a clone of Greg Maddux.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
In the season I just finished in my dynasty, the AI accurately predicted the pennant winners in both leagues, and even got the runners-up correct. That's unusual, but not unprecedented. What I've found is that the AI will sometimes fixate on a team, predicting it to win the pennant for three or four straight years, even though the team never makes it that high. It's like the AI is saying "OK, this is the year, I just know it!"
Just like evey publication known to man for the Cubs 8 of the last 10 years.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
JMDurron
All Star Starter

I enjoy the feature. It gives me a rough estimate of the relative strengths and weaknesses of particular teams/players, but not with enough precision to ruin the suspense. I think it tends to over-exaggerate the dominance of more talented teams, my more dominant rosters rarely win as many games as the predictions would indicate.

The closest prediction I ever saw was this one:

I ended up at 110-52.

As an aside, I would like to register my personal approval of the Endor Capitals' best pitcher.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote