Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 02-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Interesting FHM 3 stories

Got any to share?

I thought this was pretty neat. Jaroslav Berky, perhaps the NHL's best player over a number of years (5 100+ point seasons in 6 years) decides to follow the money and bolts to the KHL as a 30 year old, signing with SKA. He spends 4 years there, tearing up the league before returning to the NHL with Winnipeg as a 34 year old. How does he do in his return? Only win the Art Ross and Selke while leading the Jets to the Stanley Cup.

Begs the question though, what if he didn't leave in NHL for 4 years? Hurts his overall legacy a bit I suppose.
Attached Images

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Charlie82
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Got any to share?

I thought this was pretty neat. Jaroslav Berky, perhaps the NHL's best player over a number of years (5 100+ point seasons in 6 years) decides to follow the money and bolts to the KHL as a 30 year old, signing with SKA. He spends 4 years there, tearing up the league before returning to the NHL with Winnipeg as a 34 year old. How does he do in his return? Only win the Art Ross and Selke while leading the Jets to the Stanley Cup.

Begs the question though, what if he didn't leave in NHL for 4 years? Hurts his overall legacy a bit I suppose.
Great story. Great name. And not bad for an agitator.
Charlie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
Statsman1
Major Leagues

2042-43 --> 128 points, +72 AND 224 minutes in penalties?

That's something else!! Wow!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #4
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsman1 View Post
2042-43 --> 128 points, +72 AND 224 minutes in penalties?

That's something else!! Wow!
Yeah, I'd say he's ridiculously good. "Generational" in hockey terms maybe.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 02-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Pwal
All Star Starter

Great story! I really have to stop restarting new games all the time and focus on one to get that kind of story.
Pwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Just as in OOTP, I love playing in "spectator" mode and just watch a league unfold over time. I keep tabs on dynasties, player histories, the draft, records, big trades, international tournaments etc. It's easy this way to become immersed in your league - it ends up feeling quite "real" over time as you start recognizing players and you become invested in following their progress over time.

As a Habs fan in real life, I make sure to keep a close eye on the FHM 3 Canadiens. Dustin Hovdebo, the 18th overall pick back in 2042, quickly made a name for himself due to his goalscoring touch. At age 26, he already has 318 NHL goals (through 629gp) and is quickly shooting up the all-time Habs goal scoring list where he currently sits 11th. He's already a 3x all-star and has just won the 2049-2050 Maurice Richard award. At 6'5, 245lbs, he's an absolute force with the puck.

You can imagine my surprise when Hovdebo was snubbed by Team Canada and left off the 2050 Olympic roster. Coming off 49 and 39 goal seasons, I had figured he was a lock. Also add the fact that he's represented Canada multiple times internationally (he played in 3 World Championships, a WJC and the World U-18's) and I guess I just assumed he was in Canada's good books. I know the Canadian Olympic roster is the toughest to crack in all of hockey, but I still viewed it as a snub.

Canada went on to win Olympic Gold (vs Slovakia, who compared to the rosters of the other countries were a massive underdog) but I enjoyed seeing Hovdebo win the Maurice Richard award a few months later. That would be a pretty interesting story in real life. A 26 year old goal scoring superstar snubbed from Team Canada who went on to win the Maurice Richard that same year. I imagine it would spark quite the discussion.

It'll be interesting to see if he's still playing at such a high level come 2054 and if he makes the club then.
Attached Images
Image Image 

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 02-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
Eugus
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwal View Post
Great story! I really have to stop restarting new games all the time and focus on one to get that kind of story.

Was in the same boat, currently on my first league where i let it go 2025+, really enjoying it atm.

Last edited by Eugus; 02-25-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Eugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Hop you guys don't mind me posting these. I enjoy sharing happenings around my league that people may find interesting. Feel free to share any FHM stories as well!

The Dallas Stars will be the team to watch in 2050-2051. Not only did they sign Jaroslav Berky (the player in the OP) after 2 successful return seasons in Winnipeg, but they have 2 of the most high profile rookies in quite some time ready to make their NHL debuts.

First up is Cory Giacometti, a winger from Manitoba who is so highly regarded in hockey circles that he was named to the 2050 Canadian Olympic team before playing a single game in the NHL. He was selected over Dustin Hovdebo (Habs player mentioned in an earlier post) and managed to score 6 goals in 6 games against the best competition in the world. A few months later he joined the Canadian World Championship roster and finished with 18 points (including 10 goals) in 9 games. The pressure will be on him to become an instant impact player for the Stars.

Next, we have Czech/Ukrainian center Radim Horvath who has spent the past 4 years playing in Sweden's SHL. Berky was likely brought in in part to help mentor Horvath, who has the potential to be one of the greatest Czech's of all-time in his own right. Before the age of 20, he already has 2 Goldpucken (MVP) and 2 Hakan Loob (most goals) awards and has dominated the past 2 seasons. He was so highly regarded at such a young age that he played in the World U-18's as a 14 year old and already has the Olympics under his belt as well as 3 World Championship tournaments. Can he follow this success and become an instant threat in the NHL?

Exciting times in Dallas for sure.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #9
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Exciting times indeed...!

Another reason why I LOVE spectator/fan/commissioner mode. Just following these league storylines is incredibly fun. I seriously recommend trying a game this way and letting it go long-term.

Just like in a movie script, those Dallas Stars just won the 2050-2051 Stanley Cup in Game 7 vs the New York Rangers. It was their 3rd in franchise history and first since 2029-2030.

In an unprecedented move, the Stars had named Cory Giacometti team Captain before he had even played a single game in the NHL and he manages to lead the team to the promised land. What a start to his career with 35 goals in his rookie season. Horvath had an up and down season, battling with consistency, but he still finished with a respectable 44 points.

It'll be interesting to see if they can repeat and if Giacometti and Horvath can build on their rookie seasons.
Attached Images
Image Image 

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 03-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Pwal
All Star Starter

Not a big story, but poor kid...
Attached Images
Pwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #11
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Ouch lol

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 03-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

If anyone is reading and cares for an update on the Habs Dustin Hovdebo, he now sits 5th all-time on the Habs goal scoring list having just passed Steve Shutt. He's only 28 years old and has a shot to surpass Maurice Richard if he can keep up this level of play.
Attached Images
Image Image 

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 03-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

How does Hovdebo open the 2052-2053 NHL season vs the Bruins? Only score a hat trick. Will be interesting to see if he can hit 50 again.
Attached Images

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #14
BrettC
Minors (Single A)

The Sabres were crazy good in the 2021/2022 season. Finishing with 60 wins and 128 points. This coming off of winning the Cup the season before. They were led by a 100pt season from Eichel and great seasons from big free agent signing Max Pacioretty as well as Alex Nylander and Ryan O'Reilly.

But perhaps the biggest reason was goalie Linus Ullmark, who shocked everyone with an absurd season for the ages. 54 wins, a below 2.00 GAA and 16 shutouts!!

Despite all this, they are stunned in the first round by the 8th best point total in the east, the Toronto Maple Leafs in seven games.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
BrettC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #15
BrettC
Minors (Single A)

Alexander Ovechkin moved on from the Caps... to the Edmonton Oilers, and finally got that Cup in 2024! And is now firmly in second place all time with almost 850 goals in exactly 1500 games.

And he hasn't retired, so it looks like he's giving it a go for another season.
Attached Images
BrettC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #16
joe-max
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Had an interesting hiring in my league today. His name may not be well known, but at least he is earning more than I do. I coach and manage for free.

Attached Images

Last edited by joe-max; 04-27-2017 at 05:10 PM.
joe-max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
joe-max
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Who would have guessed...

In 5 years and with a new buyout rule in place, some interesting players will be bought out, among them Marchand, Lucic, Kessel and Rieder.
Attached Images
joe-max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #18
Ferrisrox
Minors (Double A)

I am very curious if anyone else has come across a defensemen named Kim Song-Gun. (He is, for the record, a real guy.)

Song-Gun is the best, and so far in my experience really the only case I've seen for spending any resources scouting non-traditional hockey markets.

His NHL success was, quite frankly, absolutely staggering, but really it's hard to make much sense out of it.

He was signed, by the St. Louis Blues, to a three-year $1,170,000 million per year contract after spending the five previous seasons in North Korean Elite League (interestingly his team is also simply listed as the North Korean Elite League.)

The 29-year old 5'8 defender made the leap to the National Hockey League after a year of huge improvement his final year in Korea. His first four seasons - which started at age 25 - saw him steadily improve going from 27 points to 35 to 38 to 45. Then, after a career-best nine goal season he exploded for 34 goals and 89 points in just 24 games.

He then joined the Blues, and it was at this point that I had my scouts look at him. They said his skating was excellent but strangely had him pegged as a defensive defenseman and despite his gaudy goal totals and assist totals in Korea, made no mention of his offensive prowess. His weaknesses, despite being classified as a defensive defensemen were defense and "poor vision."

I didn't pay much attention to him after as my season got underway but after about 40 games I was surprised to see Ilya Kovalchuk among the league leaders in goals. This was puzzling to me because Kovalchuk's return to the NHL hadn't been great and in his late 30's, he was nearing the end of the line. He had returned with Dallas, managed just 18 goals and was dealt to the Rangers in the off-season. With New York he dropped from the 56 points he put up in Dallas to just 26. As a free agent he signed in Washington and in 82 games scored just 6 goals and 24 points. As a free agent again, I looked at signing him just because he as a name and I thought I could get him dirt cheap but he somehow was demanding a hefty contract still. The Blues signed him and he improbably turned things around at 37 years old. He ended his first season in St. Louis with 29 goals and 59 points. But his second year saw him explode for 41 goals and 91 points. How was this possible? In large part because of Kim Song-Gun.

Song-Gun as a 30-year old first-year NHLer scored 21 goals and led the NHL with 80 assists (so much for poor vision.) In the playoffs, Song-Gun put up another 30 points in 20 playoff games en route to a Stanley Cup title.

In the off-season he captured the Norris Trophy and the Hart Trophy.

Has anybody else had Song-Gun appear in their careers?
Ferrisrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #19
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrisrox View Post
I am very curious if anyone else has come across a defensemen named Kim Song-Gun. (He is, for the record, a real guy.)

Song-Gun is the best, and so far in my experience really the only case I've seen for spending any resources scouting non-traditional hockey markets.

His NHL success was, quite frankly, absolutely staggering, but really it's hard to make much sense out of it.

He was signed, by the St. Louis Blues, to a three-year $1,170,000 million per year contract after spending the five previous seasons in North Korean Elite League (interestingly his team is also simply listed as the North Korean Elite League.)

The 29-year old 5'8 defender made the leap to the National Hockey League after a year of huge improvement his final year in Korea. His first four seasons - which started at age 25 - saw him steadily improve going from 27 points to 35 to 38 to 45. Then, after a career-best nine goal season he exploded for 34 goals and 89 points in just 24 games.

He then joined the Blues, and it was at this point that I had my scouts look at him. They said his skating was excellent but strangely had him pegged as a defensive defenseman and despite his gaudy goal totals and assist totals in Korea, made no mention of his offensive prowess. His weaknesses, despite being classified as a defensive defensemen were defense and "poor vision."

I didn't pay much attention to him after as my season got underway but after about 40 games I was surprised to see Ilya Kovalchuk among the league leaders in goals. This was puzzling to me because Kovalchuk's return to the NHL hadn't been great and in his late 30's, he was nearing the end of the line. He had returned with Dallas, managed just 18 goals and was dealt to the Rangers in the off-season. With New York he dropped from the 56 points he put up in Dallas to just 26. As a free agent he signed in Washington and in 82 games scored just 6 goals and 24 points. As a free agent again, I looked at signing him just because he as a name and I thought I could get him dirt cheap but he somehow was demanding a hefty contract still. The Blues signed him and he improbably turned things around at 37 years old. He ended his first season in St. Louis with 29 goals and 59 points. But his second year saw him explode for 41 goals and 91 points. How was this possible? In large part because of Kim Song-Gun.

Song-Gun as a 30-year old first-year NHLer scored 21 goals and led the NHL with 80 assists (so much for poor vision.) In the playoffs, Song-Gun put up another 30 points in 20 playoff games en route to a Stanley Cup title.

In the off-season he captured the Norris Trophy and the Hart Trophy.

Has anybody else had Song-Gun appear in their careers?
Hm, I see him in my current game. Added him to the Shortlist. Something a little weird about sending a Scout to North Korea though...

On that note, if anyone's got something interesting going on and wants to write more about it for the OOTP Blog, let me know!
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #20
Tangerino
Minors (Double A)

*NOT EDITED*
I'm only in commisioner mode because I did the expansion draft and never cared to turn it off..

Saw this guy at the beginning of the year and he was 2/5 and I was already excited about it.. I'm just simming thru the season and my team placed terribly (I chose one of the expansion teams) we got shafted in the draft and got the 6th pick. Buffalo who was 1 spot out of the playoffs got the 1st overall pick and they had a really good squad didnt need much more offence decided they didnt want the pick so I made an offer they couldnt refuse... So with the 1st overall pick I pickup this huge french canadian pure playmaker/scorer future stud at draft day he was 3.5/5. First time I have ever seen someone this good come draft day.. excited to see how he pans out!

Last edited by Tangerino; 05-08-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Tangerino is offline   Reply With Quote