Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 03-16-2016, 12:40 AM   #21
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Fixing Draft Day- we're building hockey teams and this the biggest day of the year. The experience falls flat right now.

Ability to customize Views
So the draft starts, and there's usually about 25 5 star prospects. How do you differentiate quickly? Switch over to skater ratings...player list is resorted and you see goalies at the top. Overall and Potential ratings aren't shown. It's the root of what makes drafting tedious and frustrating.

I customize every view I use in OOTP, and their out of the box views are better. If you don't do this, we need respectable skater and goalie potential screens.

Save/Edit Filters
We need more options and the ability to save. There's certain types of prospects I'm always looking for, say high character + high hockey sense + above average skaters. I don't want to look through dozens of player detail screens.

Scouting Director Recommendation

Obvious thing to steal

Everyone looks the same

OOTP struggled with this for years. Displaying ratings relative the NHL would fix it. When an average skater goes from 16 down to 10, a truly great skater looks great, rather than +2.

Also, steal the style and color coding from OOTP. The simple difference in presentation goes a long ways.

Player Generation settings
Have to stop the 5e prospects from a Division 3 Swedish league. They shouldn't exist on so many levels. I don't want to turn this into a scouting rant though. The point here is players are coming from the wrong leagues in the wrong volumes.

OOTP provides Amateur Draft Pool Origin. FHM should follow suit.

Fix Scouting
Still trying to resist ranting....but I still have 5e QMJHL prospects.

Trade AI
So simple to acquire any pick or selected player. I've traded a #11 overall pick for the player that went #1 straight up. Pick valuation needs some work. I'd point you to an NFL chart, where all my draft picks aren't enough to move from #11 to #1.

Navigation
Open player profile, right click to go back. Not having this drives OOTP vets crazy!

Draft Lottery
Make it a league event. I typically only subscribe to news for my team and didn't realize this was even in the game for a long time.

Draft Day Trade Offers
I've said it in other threads....but if my pick came up in the draft, and I got an offer to move up for it, I'd fall out of my chair. Most trade activity in the NHL is in the last hour before the trade deadline and at the draft. These are dead events in game.
ike121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:08 AM   #22
jslmsca
All Star Reserve

Fabulous post, ike121212.
jslmsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #23
Empty
Minors (Single A)

Preseason and Training Camp: Add a training camp and remove roster restrictions for the preseason.
Empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #24
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Better stats only option that has the weighted options like in OOTP
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #25
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Lotīs of cool ideas so far, many things we have on our list.

I want to repeat a general note: only 11.5% play fictional in FHM 2. We will continue to improve that mode (same with historical) but I think everybody should understand that e.g. working on international teams and tournaments or real world rules/leagues makes more sense for us then using all of our resources on fictional mode.

The same with "OOTP wishes". Most of our users donīt play OOTP, so it makes not much sense for us to add OOTP features "to make the OOTP user happy". Wherever it makes sense for us, we will continue to get stuff from OOTP and work it into FHM but our main goal is to continue make FHM a great hockey career game.

With that said, there are still cool fictional/historical/customization ideas already posted that will make it in a future FHM version!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #26
johnnybourbon
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
The same with "OOTP wishes". Most of our users donīt play OOTP, so it makes not much sense for us to add OOTP features "to make the OOTP user happy". Wherever it makes sense for us, we will continue to get stuff from OOTP and work it into FHM but our main goal is to continue make FHM a great hockey career game.
Thanks for the chime in, Sebastian. Just remember that the successful development can influence the model for FHM more than you give it credit for.
But you are right to assume that not everyone came from the OOTP-background just because the most vocal supporters of an OOTP-ish FHM GUI are the forum members who've been playing OOTP for over a decade and COULDN"T WAIT until youse guys designed a worthy hockey game
On the corpse. My question is...
No, my question. I get to go first. Why in pluperfect hell would you pee on corpse?
Quote:
Cause there's a 50-50 chance a malnourished monkey is gonna pop up out of a toilet, shoot you in the face with a speargun.
johnnybourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #27
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

To make it clear: we are happy about everyone who takes his time to help us make FHM better and we take every feedback serious (and think about ways to incorporate into the game) but we only have limited resources, so we have to make priorities and I want to be honest with people what is realistic in the short term and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybourbon View Post
Thanks for the chime in, Sebastian. Just remember that the successful development can influence the model for FHM more than you give it credit for.
But you are right to assume that not everyone came from the OOTP-background just because the most vocal supporters of an OOTP-ish FHM GUI are the forum members who've been playing OOTP for over a decade and COULDN"T WAIT until youse guys designed a worthy hockey game
Old 03-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #28
johnnybourbon
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermojo View Post
I know not all of these or even any of these may make it or anyone else may care....but it is a suggestion post so here it goes:

1) Tracking goals/assists/point/win/shutout streaks
2) Tallying of single playoff round totals (goals for/against by both teams, player stats for both teams in single playoff rounds)
5) More options to edit league structure, move teams, add and subtract divisions....basically how OOTP does it
7) Game notes the player game number and team game number when a player records their 50th goal and 100th point like the NHL Guide & Record Book does.
+1 on thesem and maybe news items for milestone achievements. I mean, we're able to track them by going to the league/ milestones screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike121212 View Post
Talent Change Randomness
You have player peaks and aging speed, but talent change randomness would be a great things to add. Development is too certain right now, with no ability to touch it.
Coaching Staff Settings
Use complete coaching system
Enable Owner Goals
Too soon for goals, but enabling/disabling the coaching system should be an option.
Player Evaluation Settings
Ratings weights
Having some impact of how the AI views ratings vs stats should make the game eventually.
+1 on these. to keep with the nomenclature , add additional "roles" to "assistant coach" such as "special teams", "goalie" instead of just hiring them based on ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHLUDDITE View Post
International play, especially World Championships/Olympics and World Junior (U-20 and U-18) Championships with the ability to be hired to coach/manage national teams.
+1. sweet idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsyr View Post
2. Ability to adjust fighting frequency..Some of us like to see a a lot of fights no matter what era were in. Kind of like 1 fight possible to all out war setting, which would include Match penalty possibilities and suspensions. I like these kinds of options because I have to continually work with my roster through out the season because of suspensions and injuries
4. Use custom teams in any league
6. Player coaching, mainly, tell a player what you want him doing. Play aggressive, non aggressive, nasty, checking, shooting or passing, start fights, get retribution, take a suspension to get even.
+1. Ken Hitchcock "telling" Backes to run the goalie comes to mind with 6.

Quote:
Fixing Draft Day- we're building hockey teams and this the biggest day of the year. The experience falls flat right now.
Save/Edit Filters
We need more options and the ability to save. There's certain types of prospects I'm always looking for, say high character + high hockey sense + above average skaters. I don't want to look through dozens of player detail screens.
Navigation
Open player profile, right click to go back. Not having this drives OOTP vets crazy!
Draft Lottery
Make it a league event. I typically only subscribe to news for my team and didn't realize this was even in the game for a long time.
+1 and the backspace key for back nav is a nice to have, easy to implement.
On the corpse. My question is...
No, my question. I get to go first. Why in pluperfect hell would you pee on corpse?
Quote:
Cause there's a 50-50 chance a malnourished monkey is gonna pop up out of a toilet, shoot you in the face with a speargun.
johnnybourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #29
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Lotīs of cool ideas so far, many things we have on our list.

I want to repeat a general note: only 11.5% play fictional in FHM 2. We will continue to improve that mode (same with historical) but I think everybody should understand that e.g. working on international teams and tournaments or real world rules/leagues makes more sense for us then using all of our resources on fictional mode.

With that said, there are still cool fictional/historical/customization ideas already posted that will make it in a future FHM version!
Don't forget the online leagues. We're suffering out here with various issues. Upload/download of files, lack of reports, etc.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #30
redtiger7
All Star Starter

-During trades, suggestions from the other team on who they would like. Also, an option to offer a couple different players and ask the other team to pick one.

-Ability to moves teams around, rearange the divisions. (This was in FHM1, sad to see it go)

-In fictional leagues, the option to bump up into another league structure template. For example, when your 14 team league expands to 20 teams, let us put it into a new structure that allows for 4 divisions and a 16 team playoff format.

-in fictional league, the ability to scout all prospects fro the upcoming draft when there is no jr league.

-Comparison screens for players, so we can see head to head which is the better choice.

-A play current game button on all screens (you don't have to switch to a different menu to access it)

-A quicker way to check the playoffs. Right now, I like to see how the playoffs are progressing, but I have to hit three different buttons to get to it. When I get inturupted by an email, it's just more clicking to have to get back to it.

- Option to set ALL scouting reports to the same delivery time, not having to go through each individual scout every. Freaking. Time.

-Team stats for the pre-season so we can identfy problem areas.

-Free agant search to automaticly include only signable players.

-Change any setting in the game, for those of us that missed a checkbox when we started our league and realise that we can no longer do something.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #31
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Have players listed as all possible positions (like when they can play on RW or LW) on all roster, trade, etc screens
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #32
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Quote:
You make me very nervous here. I hope you see that most of the ootp suggestions have nothing to do with baseball vs hockey, and everything to do with why ootp is superior in basic functionality and presentation as a sports simulation game.
ike121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #33
BlcknGld18
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNIRISHFAN View Post
Off the top of my head:
1. Better online league support
a. the ability to download league files from in game
b. the ability to generate league reports in HTML
c. The ability to see gameplay summary(play by play) so that you have a better idea who is playing well and who is playing terrible and/or a way to watch a game replay.
d.(Edit I thought of another one) Would love to be able to hire and fire staff in game.
2. Better coaching AI, I've never seen a goalie replaced that was playing terrible for example.
What he said. Have to have the gameplay/summary. Very difficult to guage what is going right or wrong with your team from a stat sheet.
BlcknGld18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #34
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
You make me very nervous here. I hope you see that most of the ootp suggestions have nothing to do with baseball vs hockey, and everything to do with why ootp is superior in basic functionality and presentation as a sports simulation game.
What I said: OOTP is good (no question here), as are other great games out there. We will work in our own ideas, take whatever makes sense from OOTP and combine it with ideas from other games around (e.g. FM, one of my favorite games in the world).

The only thing I want people to understand is that fictional play is something only a very minor group of people uses. They are important to us and we will add to that mode with every new version but we have only limited resources and of course we have to use the majority of time for stuff that the majority of user wants.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #35
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

A real training camp where coaches can work with players on specific skills (when necessary), general skills, tactics skills (learning the system) or perhaps learn a new position.

Ability to set our own pre-season schedule.

Expanded training camp rosters and PTOs. AHL training camp should start near the end of NHL training camp so players who are cut have a place to go.

Ability to generate schedules, create them by hand and/or import them from text file.

Ability to easily export game results and stats to HTML, PDF or Excel/CSV.

Ability to easily export scouting results and ratings to HTML, PDF, Excel/CSV.

Playable NCAA / USHL leagues, or at the very least, ability to see game results from a simmed league

Organization prospect reports during the season, especially from guys in juniors or overseas. I wouldn't mind tying this in as a scouting function.

Directed player development for non-roster prospects. I drafted this guy, but I want him to work on his (______) this season.

Easily exportable entry draft prospects scouting results. Let me see how different scouts evaluate the same players. Each scout should have a 'top 200' list of players they scouted (assuming they scouted that many).

CSS Top 200 lists in early season, mid season and final rankings for entry draft.

Assistant GM function which would compile depth charts on our team, and use a scout(s) to compile that information on other teams as well.

Incorporate things like and WARRIOR charts. Being able to use these charts to compare two players would be an added bonus.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #36
pens66
Major Leagues

Quote:
What I said: OOTP is good (no question here), as are other great games out there. We will work in our own ideas, take whatever makes sense from OOTP and combine it with ideas from other games around (e.g. FM, one of my favorite games in the world).

The only thing I want people to understand is that fictional play is something only a very minor group of people uses. They are important to us and we will add to that mode with every new version but we have only limited resources and of course we have to use the majority of time for stuff that the majority of user wants.
And yet a lot of people want to have the ability to change league structures/schedules/rules/whatever in the modern game mode. So I guess it is no problem to have these features in fictional mode as well.
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #37
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens66 View Post
And yet a lot of people want to have the ability to change league structures/schedules/rules/whatever in the modern game mode. So I guess it is no problem to have these features in fictional mode as well.
Not sure how you think that is the case.

To quote Markus: "Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it."

And the survey shows this trend is even more extreme for FHM.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #38
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Today's NHL is too boring. Last Sunday night's Toronto/Detroit game was the worst NHL game I have ever seen(been watching NHL since 1965).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #39
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Today's NHL is too boring. Last Sunday night's Toronto/Detroit game was the worst NHL game I have ever seen(been watching NHL since 1965).
Not sure if a lot of people will agree on this.

But FHM will continue to give possibilities to alter the way you want to play. And it will be more options in FHM 3 then we have in FHM 2, so donīt worry.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #40
Hadehariast
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

Sebastian, I'm very happy to see you post what you've posted. My Wish #1 was "Do not make this into a hockey clone of OOTP!" and I'm glad to see you're considering ideas from the likes of Football Manager (which is the superior sports management sim, even if latest versions have been rather "meh" by comparison to the good ole' days of FM2010 and FM07). I think that FHM should focus on being a sports management game, rather than a sports simulation game. Simulating results is probably the least interesting aspect of any sports sim, so focus should be on fleshing out the off-ice features of the game.

Wish #2: Assistant GM
Features: Essentially, a minion to offload a lot of your grunt work to. Depth chart of your own team; depth chart of all teams in the league; minor league affiliate report (player X should be promoted, player Y should be demoted); trade target finder (give parameters for what type of player you want, AGM populates a list for you).

Wish #3: Director of Player Personnel
Features: If the player chooses to enable this option, this person directs all scouting efforts around the world (the idea is that this is the "realistic" solution for people who don't want to spend time scouting, rather than just a button-click at the bottom of the window). The DPP automatically assigns scouts to regions and leagues, and is largely responsible for collecting and presenting scout reports to the GM. The DPP can be provided with general parameters (scout only players of certain age range, focus on amateur scouting, focus on professional leagues, etc) to guide them. This person should also be able to present a new type of report to the GM-- the "over/under-rated report" would give the GM better insight into which players are better or worse than their current attributes might show.

Wish #4: Customizable and saveable columns for rosters/reports/drafts. This one is a definite must-have.

Wish #5: Keep the scouting system as a whole, but make improvements to how regions are handled (and fix the lack of scouts for Quebec). For the love of god, don't implement the horrible "e-z mode" scouting that OOTP has. It's one of the worst and laziest aspects of that game, and following the FM model of actually having scouts with specializations and knowledge is a far more interesting way to go. Having one 'scouting director' who miraculously has knowledge of every baseball player on the planet and an accurate view of his mental attributes is absolutely ludicrous, so please don't go down that path.

Wish #6: Add a "Ability to Sign" category to the scout report for each player-- I expanded on this in this thread, and I think it would add a lot of realism to the 'Russian factor' aspect of drafting.
Hadehariast is offline   Reply With Quote