Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #101
retnuhsemaj
Minors (Rookie Ball)

So, if I have 5 levels of minor leagues, that would be

5 * 5 for 25 draft rounds.

I have 24 teams per league so that would be (24 * 25)/6, which would be 100 feeder teams, right?

Is there a rule of thumb as to how many leagues that should be spread out across?

I'm going to try to do a HS and College Feeder league with the age requirements as 14-18 (14 - 17 Created) and 18-22 (18-21 Created), respectively. I know I read in a post about not doing big feeder leagues as the playoffs can take a while to sim, is that right? Any help with this would be appreciated, thanks guys.
retnuhsemaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #102
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Why OOTP has not stickied this post is beyond me. It gives WAY more information than anything the company has supplied about the subject.

Its a pain to search out and find, so OOTP would do themselves a favor in making it sticky.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #103
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
Why OOTP has not stickied this post is beyond me. It gives WAY more information than anything the company has supplied about the subject.

Its a pain to search out and find, so OOTP would do themselves a favor in making it sticky.
+1.

It was stuck for a long time until someone complained there were too many stickies and they should be removed. I guess he had a point as some things do stay there too long. However, I don't see how one would decide that this one should be unstuck.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #104
battists
Hall Of Famer

Just FYI, I have updated the OOTP 13 manual page about feeder leagues to incorporate a lot of this information. Let me know if people have other ideas.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #105
metsfan1
Bat Boy

Got a few questions

Got a few questions

I may of read this wrong. Concerning the formula, if I have 5 minor leagues to go with my 24 teams in FBL, (24*25)/6 would equal 100 feeder leagues. Does this mean I need 50 High School leagues and 50 College leagues or am I counting the number of teams within a HS and college league and I would only need 2 High School Leagues that have 25 teams each in them and 2 College Leagues with 25 teams in the each also?

Also, when creating a FBL, is there a way to preset the teams location in a East/West division or you literally have to name the division and manually change the teams to coincide with East/West? I was looking in the drop down menu but didnt see it. I was going to do a FBL with 24 teams (2 conferences, 4 divisions with 6 teams each in USA and Canada).

Is 5 minor leagues really too much? I thinking of doing 4 but I was reading in a lot of posts that most people do 3. I was getting frustrated with the way the minor league managers demoted/promoted players in OOTP12. Seems like I was always doing it and if I clicked auto, the game would undo everything I did!

By the way, how do I delete a post, I accidently posted this on the other link but couldn't find "delete" on that one.
metsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #106
HerbD
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by retnuhsemaj View Post
I know I read in a post about not doing big feeder leagues as the playoffs can take a while to sim, is that right? Any help with this would be appreciated, thanks guys.
I always disable playoffs in all minors and feeder leagues. When was the last time you checked to see who won a feeder league championship? Do you really care?
HerbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #107
DCHepler25
All Star Starter

Hey guys - I read through the entire thread and there is some great information. Thanks! I have a question that I didn't see an answer for yet.

I am building a solo fictional league that starts in the 1930's. I want to follow a somewhat historical MLB timeline, so I don't have a draft until 1958 when I form my minor league system.

Is there a way to have feeder leagues without a draft? Or does the draft need to be enabled for feeders to work?

Last edited by DCHepler25; 05-08-2012 at 09:33 AM.
DCHepler25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #108
le receveur
All Star Starter

did i do something wrong?

followed the instructions, and set up 3 feeder leagues College,JUCO and HS, with more team in HS. decided to create all minimum age entry, so it took 3-4 years to get prospects. so far all went good. maybe what i did wrong is i also moved the date of the draft announcement to 5 day before draft to make sure season was over.

so went through first fed draft . Not sure if it's normal, but all the draft eligible were released prior by their last team, so showed like a free agent- so wouldn't show in the list what league they came from (obviously i can use the age to figure between JUCO and COL).

So all the drafted player now show as signed as minor league free agent in history, and i was suddenly able to trade them in the first year, even though i have the restriction. is there something wrong with my set-up. i don't really care since i hated the rule, but it is in RL so i was keeping it.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #109
jhart05
Major Leagues

Question regarding High School Feeders, (in case no one sees my other post).

I set up one HS League with 16 teams the other with 24 teams.

However the League Totals and Modifiers on the Strategy & More tab are all the same.

Won't that be a problem? Will I get better players from the 16 team league?

I want them to be about equal in what those feeders produce.
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #110
le receveur
All Star Starter

Again thanks to everyone for their help. the feeder league experience as been great, and really increased the Draft experience. As i am working on my new league i want to make sure i set up optimally.

One thing i have started to notice in my current draft, is that i get about 100-150 pitchers who did not pitch in the most recent year (out of about 1100 draftees), mainly HS. When i look at the transaction they were still member of the team, and had no injury reported, but somehow never were used. Most are bad relievers so i guess i could see some not being used for a 40 game schedule, but there is always a few who had decent results in prior years, and are still rated fine by scouts but have no stats (recent one had one recommended as 4th rounder by scout). I have looked at ages, and they still met qualification at league time.

Is this normal, or do i have a setting issue?
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #111
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
Again thanks to everyone for their help. the feeder league experience as been great, and really increased the Draft experience. As i am working on my new league i want to make sure i set up optimally.

One thing i have started to notice in my current draft, is that i get about 100-150 pitchers who did not pitch in the most recent year (out of about 1100 draftees), mainly HS. When i look at the transaction they were still member of the team, and had no injury reported, but somehow never were used. Most are bad relievers so i guess i could see some not being used for a 40 game schedule, but there is always a few who had decent results in prior years, and are still rated fine by scouts but have no stats (recent one had one recommended as 4th rounder by scout). I have looked at ages, and they still met qualification at league time.

Is this normal, or do i have a setting issue?

I haven't played this game much so this is only a guess.

Maybe check your High School Strategy tab? Maybe up the reliever usage to Very Often? Maybe lower the number of pitchers required on a high school team? I suppose that would take a couple of years to see any change thou.
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #112
Jythier
Minors (Single A)

How do feeder leagues work with the ability for HS kids to end up in the college league?

My calculation for a 15 round draft with 12 teams is 180 players / 6 = 30 teams.

If I go with 24 college and 24 high school, and the high schoolers all end up going to college if they're not drafted, will that be good enough, or do I need to tone it back to, say, 16 and 16 to get 32 teams? Or is there some thing I'm not accounting for, like I should have more college teams or less college teams and it should be 20/10? This is for an online league so getting this right is important... I need to have enough free agents and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to change once the game gets going.
Jythier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #113
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jythier View Post
How do feeder leagues work with the ability for HS kids to end up in the college league?

My calculation for a 15 round draft with 12 teams is 180 players / 6 = 30 teams.

If I go with 24 college and 24 high school, and the high schoolers all end up going to college if they're not drafted, will that be good enough, or do I need to tone it back to, say, 16 and 16 to get 32 teams? Or is there some thing I'm not accounting for, like I should have more college teams or less college teams and it should be 20/10? This is for an online league so getting this right is important... I need to have enough free agents and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to change once the game gets going.
As long as the leagues are setup under the same parent, some of your HS kids will go to college, and some new kids that didn't go to any of your high schools will also appear.

The important thing to know is how many teams are in your league, and how many levels of minors you are running with?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #114
Jythier
Minors (Single A)

12 team league, with 3 levels of minors.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #115
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jythier View Post
12 team league, with 3 levels of minors.
OK, yep, you're on the right track. You need a 15 round draft for 3 levels of minors. Your 30 calculation is fine, and yes, any feeder teams you create past that point are only going to make the available pool bigger.

30 is fine, but if you want to be absolutely sure you can always go with 36 teams. I'd go with like a 24 college/12 HS setup most likely.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #116
Jythier
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
OK, yep, you're on the right track. You need a 15 round draft for 3 levels of minors. Your 30 calculation is fine, and yes, any feeder teams you create past that point are only going to make the available pool bigger.

30 is fine, but if you want to be absolutely sure you can always go with 36 teams. I'd go with like a 24 college/12 HS setup most likely.
Why less on the high school side?

I went 24/24 because I figured the kids who didn't make the draft in HS could just go to college.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #117
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Just to let everyone know

Make sure you have the round set really high if you use feeders but also want historical imports
If too low, the game simply won't import historical players it seems or it breaks it's code, who knows.

I had historical imports checked and also wanted an amateur draft, now what would happen before is the real players would import first, then the college kids would come into the pool, and even if you had only 10 rounds, you could still have 500 draft eligible players...seems nope, that won't happen and the game won't even drop the historical players into the FA pool...I cannot find them anywhere except one guy who did import, Ricardo Rincon

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #118
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

ive read both the first post and the txt file both printed from my printer and confused.... are the feeder leagues the rookie teams like confused about that?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #119
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
ive read both the first post and the txt file both printed from my printer and confused.... are the feeder leagues the rookie teams like confused about that?
Feeders are just to stock your draft pool.

They are high school and college leagues, so they are not "affiliated" minors. Those players feed into your draft classes rather than the game just generating players.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #120
Jythier
Minors (Single A)

Argh!

So I did 24/24 like I said, right?

My first draft class has 97 people in it. That's it.

With 1200 feeder league players, you'd think I'd have at least 200. I only need 180. NOPE.

So any recommendations on how to fix this?

My thoughts:

1. Create players to fill in the draft class. This will work for approximately 3 years and then I'll have another 97 kid draft class.

2. Change birthdays so that I have consistent draft classes. This is my favorite option.

3. Set younger players as draft eligible this year and let the draft plus the player creation process fill in the gaps.

Are there options I'm missing?

Will I be able to do anything without rewinding? I did the sim that releases the draft pool, can I change it at this point?