Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 04-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
kq76
Global Moderator

Moving Threads / Reorganization?

We're going to be moving old threads from this main board into their appropriate sub-boards over the next while, but it might be a bit confusing with all the different sub-boards so if someone thinks a thread got moved to the wrong board or if you'd like a particular thread moved sooner rather than later, then please just let us know in this thread.

And if you have any other requests to make the mods section better, please post those as well and we'll see if we can get them implemented.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
kq76
Global Moderator

So after moving several hundred modification threads (search and mass select help tremendously) I've come to the realization that this place needs serious re-organization, more than I previously thought. Although there are probably many more, a few observations of the current system that make very little or no sense are:

-too many different kinds of graphics mixed together
-ballpark and player photos mixed with rosters and quickstarts
-databases are included with database utilities
-html mixed with graphics
-there are several fairly common types of mods that have no board, many of which probably warrant a dedicated board

Below you will find my first draft of the reorganization I'd recommend to Andreas. I'm sure I don't know this section nearly as well as some of you however. So, before I go to Andreas with a recommendation, I'd like to get your input on how things should be organized here. If your recommendation is at all complicated, please do try to do your best to make it as simple as possible to understand.

Since Padresfan has probably thought about the organization of mods as much as anyone I figured I'd take a look at his site for some tips. Overall, it seems like he's followed a similar system. In particular, he breaks up graphics more like I think we should go with. His misc section is more encompassing, but I figure it's probably best to break that stuff up a fair bit as well.

A question I have is should all these links to sub-boards be thrown together in one big list (like we have now, but more) or should they be separated into a "graphics" section and an "other" section? I favour the latter since I believe it would look like the mods board does from the index page: a bunch of sub-boards just listed underneath that board's title and description. Only thing is I don't know if vbulletin supports grandchild boards (sub-boards within sub-boards). Going with the former (just listing a dozen or so sub-boards here, like what we have now, but more) would waste a lot of space and necessitate scrolling further down to get to the general mod threads.

Here's the first draft:

Mods Board:
Links to Sub-Boards:
|-----------------------------------------------------------
|-Graphics
|--logos (requests, templates, and general)
|--uniforms/jerseys/caps (requests, templates, and general)
|--ballparks/stadiums (images and factors)
|--facegen/player photos
|--cards
|--misc (skins, tie images, background images, etc)
|-Misc
|--rosters
|--databases
|--quickstarts
|--world_templates
|--schedules
|--database utilities (e.g. Getch and Statslab)
|--audio/sound
|--report_templates
|--text and PbP
|--names, nations and ethnicities
|--misc
General Mod Threads:

Hopefully that makes sense. If not, the "General Mod Threads" part is just a listing of general mod threads like any other regular board, but above that would be two boxes and inside those boxes would be links to several different grandchild boards. Like on the index page, those links would be separated by commas, however, not on separate lines as in my illustration above.

Does all that sufficiently cover all the different types of mods? For the mod types that are rarely posted about they can go into the appropriate misc section, but is there a mod type in your opinion that isn't so rare, that should have its own board that I haven't listed?

I just quickly listed them as they came to me, but is there a particular order you'd prefer them: most common to least common, alphabetical, or something else? Either of the first two makes enough sense to me.

One last thing: don't anticipate this to happen right away. I do think a reorganization is badly needed here so I will ask for it, repeatedly if need be, but I'm sure patch items will be much higher on their priority list so it might be awhile before they decide to look at this.

Last edited by kq76; 04-11-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

A few other things:

Yes, they have said they intend on updating the board's skin (someone asked me). Personally, I don't see it as that important, but I'm sure they'll get to it eventually.

All those thread redirects you see on the main mods board, well, they should disappear in a week after its thread was moved. I just left 1 week redirects for now just in case people have trouble finding where their thread was moved to, some soon after they posted it.

Lastly, we're not done moving threads, not even close. There's so many and with how non-descript some thread titles are we might never move them all to their proper places, but I also think it would make much more sense to wait on the more difficult to determine ones and move them after we reorganize things.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
kq76
Global Moderator

No one have an opinion? Honestly, asking for board changes like this can sometimes be like pulling teeth so if it does get changed, which I think it might this time, it might stay that way for awhile. So if you do have suggestions for improvement, hopefully that just tweak my above proposal, then now is the time to make them.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

It's looking good I think. Doing a great job.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Captain Walrus
All Star Reserve

Rosters & quick-starts should be one forum. There isn't much difference between the two, just how it is saved. Templates could be thrown in there too.

ALSO
Captain Walrus's All-Timers League Quick-Start: HERE
A 48-team league featuring the all-time greatest players in the Majors. Players' ratings are based on their 6 best major league seasons, neutralized.

Last edited by Captain Walrus; 04-19-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Captain Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
kq76
Global Moderator

A couple weeks ago I sent Andreas the below revised proposal (thanks CW, your recommendation made a lot of sense), but I have not heard back. If anyone would like to see some changes to this section (by seconding mine or proposing your own), you may want to give him a nudge.

Quote:
Mods Board:
Links to Sub-Boards:
|-Images & Related
|--logos
|--uniforms/jerseys/caps
|--ballparks/stadiums
|--player/facegen photos
|--misc (cards, skins, background images, etc)
|-Other
|--rosters/databases/quickstarts/world_templates
|--database utilities
|--schedules
|--audio/sound
|--text xml (PbP, news, storylines, etc)
|--text databases (names, nations, hints, etc)
|--misc
General Threads:
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Captain Walrus
All Star Reserve

Any progress on this?

ALSO
Captain Walrus's All-Timers League Quick-Start: HERE
A 48-team league featuring the all-time greatest players in the Majors. Players' ratings are based on their 6 best major league seasons, neutralized.
Captain Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
kq76
Global Moderator

Nope. I would have done it myself a long time ago, but we don't have board making powers. And I imagine they're too busy right now to bother.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I don't think you should split logos from uniforms/caps anyway.

They need to stay together, IMO.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 10-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Dutchy
Minors (Double A)

Location: The Hague (City of International Justice), The Netherlands.
Since I'm busy looking for appropriate logos, uniforms and facegens that I cannot even find on ootpmods.com I would really like to see a cleanup of this mod section since it's quite a bothersome task to find what you need/want.

Please, do submit another request to make finding the right mods less cumbersome.
Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

this seems to have been lost to time, but I for one would love to see Ballparks have their own subfolder in mods

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #13
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
this seems to have been lost to time, but I for one would love to see Ballparks have their own subfolder in mods
Apparently there is not interest in having a drop box with all the mods and instructions how to use.

This has been out there 10 years!!
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #14
Silvas17
Bat Boy

Wanna Discuss Something

I want to discuss something related to this forum, i am new here and i want to know the rules of this forum. Can anybody tell me about this?
Silvas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #15
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvas17 View Post
I want to discuss something related to this forum, i am new here and i want to know the rules of this forum. Can anybody tell me about this?
that might be something for General Discussion. PM me if you want.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #16
TDO
Minors (Double A)

Did this ever get re-organized or centralized where mods were easy to find etc?

Last edited by TDO; 11-07-2020 at 08:43 AM.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:59 AM   #17
twins_34
All Star Reserve

I really really think there needs to be a Mods - Sounds board.

Last edited by twins_34; 01-09-2021 at 08:02 PM.
twins_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #18
micropterus58
All Star Starter

There also needs to be a FAQ section, frequently asked questions, stickied at the top. In the various mods and general sections for the current game. The same questions get asked repeatedly, often on the same page. Many of these questions are asked yearly.
micropterus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #19
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Looks great. Can we also have one for skyboxes/dirts/grasses/Construction Kit Sections?

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #20
twins_34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropterus58 View Post
There also needs to be a FAQ section, frequently asked questions, stickied at the top. In the various mods and general sections for the current game. The same questions get asked repeatedly, often on the same page. Many of these questions are asked yearly.
Sadly even then, today people find it more easy to still ask the question over reading through FAQ's sadly. The someone will come in and say "Well its in the FAQ go and read it" it will make the person angry, and they leave. We live in a world where people get easily offended. sometimes its just easier to bite our tongues and just answer the same question for the 100th time I know it sucks and is annoying.
twins_34 is offline   Reply With Quote