Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
SuperSteve
Bat Boy

Should I Take a Dive in Perfect League?

<sigh>….Okay, new season begins today and I have THREE whales in my division.

This has become unenjoyable for me. First of all, I don't understand the mentality of somebody spending **HUNDREDS** of dollars on a game that is not a challenge for them. To me, the enjoyment is in grinding your way to the top via smart picks in the AH and obtaining your PP's through your teams' accomplishments rather than opening up my wallet. Seeing my OVR 69 Tony Gwynn or OVR 88 Rod Carew consistently hit around or above .300 feels a LOT better than having an OVR 100 Babe Ruth or Walter Johnson.

Playing against a whale team is like watching the New York Yankees vs. Grade School T Ball, and there probably wouldn't be a single spectator left in the stands after the first inning. Should I just put my crappiest players in the starting lineup to get intentionally demoted for a more satisfying experience?
SuperSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

No, because that violates the Terms of Service and you run the risk of getting banned.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Read the responses I got in this thread: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=305811

I just wanted a re-tool...and I got relegated. I'm not a tanker, but when you start playing guys with more prefects on their reserve roster than you've got diamonds, you know where it's headed. I recently offered the suggestion that level be determined by the average of the 25 highest (active, reserve, and inactive) players. Then we'd all be against folk that were in our reach. I'm sure I'm not the first to make such a suggestion, nor will I be the last...

For what its worth, I agree that getting the most out of your lower level players is a far better test of skills. My personal favorite at lower levels was Phil Cavaretta. Not a great fielder, but routinely got .300+ and 50+ doubles. Produced in some diamond leagues, and I don't let him go. Who knows, maybe someday I'll be back down in Bronze...sigh...I miss those days...

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteve View Post
First of all, I don't understand the mentality of somebody spending **HUNDREDS** of dollars on a game that is not a challenge for them. To me, the enjoyment is in grinding your way to the top via smart picks in the AH and obtaining your PP's through your teams' accomplishments rather than opening up my wallet.
This is the most common misconception in this sort of threads; the assumption that everybody has (to have?) joy the same way. You must realize that for some people the biggest joy is throwing a thousand bucks at the screen so they can then cave your skull in, 19 times a year.

Quote:
Seeing my OVR 69 Tony Gwynn or OVR 88 Rod Carew consistently hit around or above .300 feels a LOT better than having an OVR 100 [...] Walter Johnson.
Nah, I'm still keeping Big Walt...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

This has become unenjoyable for me. First of all, I don't understand the mentality of somebody spending **HUNDREDS** of dollars on a game that is not a challenge for them. To me, the enjoyment is in grinding your way to the top via smart picks in the AH and obtaining your PP's through your teams' accomplishments rather than opening up my wallet.
I wonder if there is a way to get relegated solely through bad strategy settings and ballpark factors. I might try it with one of my PT1.0 teams that's been hovering around .500 in PL for a long time now...
Old 08-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Just play how you want and no one will care unless you make your team is so bad that it only wins 20 game.

Devs have said people don't get banned unless you are doing something truly egregious, which is how it should be.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

I'm hoping (desperately) that Tournaments will solve this problem.

Let's face it, for people not able to buy 25 100 players, PT is fun until you finally get to Perfect. At that point you are doomed to be second fiddle unless you can get lucky enough to pull the best cards from what you earn over time.

My Perfect teams are on automatic. I check in once a week to spend my achievement points in the hopes of pulling something better than what I already have - but that's basically a "last ditch" effort to improve.

That said, ""IF"" tournaments are structured (at least partially) so people can "join" Bronze, Silver, and Diamond Leagues... ""OR"" if some tournaments are structured based on active roster OVR totals, then I can imagine something closer to what us FTP players wish we had.

Just to be clear - I'm not criticizing OOTP for how PT is structured, but it IS designed to make money, and that leaves many of us with a game that is only interesting for a few months until you reach your limit(s).

It's actually a rendition of Peter's Principal; "[teams] in a hierarchy tend to rise to their "level of incompetence". And without a monetary supplement, tend to stay there.

Let's hope the Tournaments release will expand the current scenario where even F2P players can have fun all year long.

PS: One final thought... had the original plan to make PT cards available in the classic game worked - I honestly think people like me would have played PT for about 4 months and then turned back to the classic game using PT cards. I really wish that would have worked.

Last edited by HRBaker; 08-12-2019 at 11:59 AM.
HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
I'm hoping (desperately) that Tournaments will solve this problem.

Let's face it, for people not able to buy 25 100 players, PT is fun until you finally get to Perfect. At that point you are doomed to be second fiddle unless you can get lucky enough to pull the best cards from what you earn over time.

just join up with some like-minded players (whether you find them here or on the discord channel, or both) and do your best to squeeze out the mega whales if that's your goal to achieve a more balanced league.... my ftp pre-ww2 team had it's first run in Perfect level last season, but thanks to being linked up with enough other ftp or nearly ftp teams, it was a competitive year.... finished 82-80, which sounds rather mediocre, but it was good enough to be tied for the division lead... lost game 163 and missed the playoffs; and the 83-80 team who beat me for the division title went on to win it all
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

I think it's important people don't just give up as soon as they hit Perfect (not directed at the OP particularly). You never know how your team might do. With 'Random' league placement, and a little luck with avoiding a huge team in your division, getting over .500 and getting a Playoff place are more possible than you'd think.

Now, winning a PL Playoff might be a bit much But that's the very top end of a game with a 'F2P' model, so is fairly inevitable.

(I only post this because I thought my teams' highest achievement would be making Perfect, but they've managed 79 & 90 win seasons. Well, one of my teams anyway hehe)
Old 08-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Document it carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin View Post
I wonder if there is a way to get relegated solely through bad strategy settings and ballpark factors. I might try it with one of my PT1.0 teams that's been hovering around .500 in PL for a long time now...
and we might all be able to learn just how much altering strategy really affects things.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I would be surprised if strategy settings mattered enough to tank a team solely on that. Park factors though? That's much more likely IMO. Especially if your team is constructed to fit one type of extreme park, and you completely flip everything around, that should have a pretty huge effect. Not that I have actually tried it though...
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #12
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

This has become unenjoyable for me. First of all, I don't understand the mentality of somebody spending **HUNDREDS** of dollars on a game that is not a challenge for them.
With 3 whales, you are toast for THIS week. I would suggest picking a theme and going all in on it... Maybe a longball team (or speedy team) and get guys who just fit that 1 style you chose.

Adjust your ballpark setting to fit your style of play and then go out and get guys that fit that style.

Im not saying it will bring you a champ, but it should keep your competitive for a good portion of the season.

Also transitioning to that kind of team will mean a likely a high turnover of your roster... By doing that turnover... who knows... maybe you get relegated... So thats not horrible either.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:

This has become unenjoyable for me. First of all, I don't understand the mentality of somebody spending **HUNDREDS** of dollars on a game that is not a challenge for them. To me, the enjoyment is in grinding your way to the top via smart picks in the AH and obtaining your PP's through your teams' accomplishments rather than opening up my wallet. Seeing my OVR 69 Tony Gwynn or OVR 88 Rod Carew consistently hit around or above .300 feels a LOT better than having an OVR 100 Babe Ruth or Walter Johnson.

Playing against a whale team is like watching the New York Yankees vs. Grade School T Ball, and there probably wouldn't be a single spectator left in the stands after the first inning. Should I just put my crappiest players in the starting lineup to get intentionally demoted for a more satisfying experience?

You left OL and NFTP after deciding to spend more money on the game. Why? We are having a blast still. It is very competitive in our league.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin View Post

Easy. Just go full suicide on defense. Low CON pitchers + horrible fielders.

- Make your pitchers stay in as long as possible for maximum chance of a blowout.
- Max intentional walk and pitch around with low CON pitchers so they are giving up walks like candies.

- Max infield in and your horrible fielders are unlikely to get things done. Balls will likely go through them for easy scoring.
- Max out your ballpark on offense.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #15
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
Easy. Just go full suicide on defense. Low CON pitchers + horrible fielders.
those are roster changes, not strategy sliders.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #16
bailey
Hall Of Famer

It would be interesting what the OP thinks are whales. If he wants to demote to diamond he should join the real whale league

bailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #17
yno88
Minors (Double A)

When my free to play teams got to perfect and saw the competition I had similar feelings to OP. I hung in there though and it has been worth it. There are some weeks its just gonna suck. I had two 120+ win teams in my division a couple times. So random luck of where you're seeded plays a part.

But here's the thing. You don't have to be better than the whales. You just have to be better than enough folks to get into the playoffs. Then you get a crack at the whales. Over a long season they're nearly impossible to beat, but in a short series anything can happen. The most fun I've had in the game is beating a $2500 team with my $40 team.

yno88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #18
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

Keep in mind who you are dealing with. There are some deluded reprobates that believe they can 'cave in someone's skull' with a thousand 'bucks and a PC game.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #19
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMuchTime View Post
Keep in mind who you are dealing with. There are some deluded reprobates that believe they can 'cave in someone's skull' with a thousand 'bucks and a PC game.
They are the reason we all have the game to enjoy and for that I'm thankful.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:12 AM   #20
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
They are the reason we all have the game to enjoy and for that I'm thankful.
Yup. Last time I checked the OOTPD homepage, it did not indicate in any way that they were a registered charity and were providing services solely out of the pure goodness at the bottom of their hearts.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote