Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
alinkens
All Star Starter

Online League - Manage Each Game ala 6.5

I've been playing OOTP since v4 and have not gone past 6.5 because that was the last version of the game that I could manage each game (export game after playing) while in an online league..

Every time I see a new version coming out I ask if this will be put back in and every year I get a "nobody cares about that feature" response.. Was that put back in for this version?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
CardsFan2006
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinkens View Post
I've been playing OOTP since v4 and have not gone past 6.5 because that was the last version of the game that I could manage each game (export game after playing) while in an online league..

Every time I see a new version coming out I ask if this will be put back in and every year I get a "nobody cares about that feature" response.. Was that put back in for this version?
I have only played 10 and 12, but that sounds like a cool feature. Will you explain further, as I don't really see how that worked? For the record, it sounds like I will agree with you.
CardsFan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
alinkens
All Star Starter

The way OOTP 6.5 works..
As the commissioner you post a zip file - the league owners download and play their games, after each game there is an "export" option.

In the leagues I play in we allow one series to be played at a time which means that the owner plays game 1 and exports, then they sim the day (not exporting the other games), play game 2, etc. After game 3 they go to their team and adjust and then do a team export (on the team setup page there is an option for export team).

They then email the commissioner the three game exports and the one team export (as well as box/log files). The commissioner waits till he has all games and imports them all and creates a new zip for the next series.

It's a lot of work for the commissioner but it makes the game much more fun for online league play. Way back they talked about automating some of the process but then in OOTP7 they removed the feature all together never to be seen again. I always thought it would make sense to create a website or online portal to the commissioner's PC so that people could play their games that way.

The issues with continuing to use 6.5 are that the newer Lahman databases don't work with it and you don't get all the new awesome features and better AI of the newer versions. The first problem is fixed because we have a great OOTP6.5 community that edits the Lahman dbs to work but the other problems obviously can't be fixed.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinkens View Post
The way OOTP 6.5 works..
As the commissioner you post a zip file - the league owners download and play their games, after each game there is an "export" option.

In the leagues I play in we allow one series to be played at a time which means that the owner plays game 1 and exports, then they sim the day (not exporting the other games), play game 2, etc. After game 3 they go to their team and adjust and then do a team export (on the team setup page there is an option for export team).

They then email the commissioner the three game exports and the one team export (as well as box/log files). The commissioner waits till he has all games and imports them all and creates a new zip for the next series.
I haven't played 6.5 in years so please remind me...what if two owners play each other and both owners play out the games separately with different results? How does OOTP 6.5 handle that? What if an owner loses a game and just reloads the original league file and plays it again and again until he wins and just send game exports after he wins?

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
dickysty
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.montoya View Post
I haven't played 6.5 in years so please remind me...what if two owners play each other and both owners play out the games separately with different results? How does OOTP 6.5 handle that? What if an owner loses a game and just reloads the original league file and plays it again and again until he wins and just send game exports after he wins?
The way it worked was the owner that had the home game would play out that game then export his game file to the commish.

And yes the reload of the exported file is a concern. But it is a very cool feature.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
alinkens
All Star Starter

Any news from above if this feature will be added back in?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Akkim
Bat Boy

I'm also very interested to see if this feature/functionality is implemented - especially if there's any sort of "Head to Head" management functionality.

--Micah
Akkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
MiddiePlayer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This is kind of like the way the old APBA Baseball for Windows used to work. It was enjoyable but a lot of work to keep it going.
MiddiePlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Akkim
Bat Boy

Pursue the Pennant PC (which became Diamond-Mind Baseball) actually went as far as to let people host/connect to each other through the game client so you could manage the games head-to-head.

Basic functionality, but worked great.

--Micah
Akkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
alinkens
All Star Starter

Bump to hopefully get an official answer
Old 03-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I don't believe there is anything planned for this in OOTP13. I can definitely assure you that head-to-head managing will not be part of the new game. That has been requested numerous times over the years, but the career management style of game does not lend itself to this. Markus has stated several times that it's not possible for him to implement this without a massive effort, but he's aware that there are customers who want it.

Action! PC Baseball is the one product that offers excellent head-to-head play through an Internet connection, but it's a statistical replay sim. It's very similar to APBA, Strat-O-Matic, Diamond Mind, and similar products. So you're not going to get the OOTP experience from Action.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote