Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #201
gamefan1978
Minors (Single A)

I hope we see a new news story for when a player is ejected for arguing strikes. The current one of the 3 blind mice one is the only one that gets used and it’s time for a couple of new ones.
gamefan1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #202
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I just had another very weird ending to the regular season of 1931.
On sep 27th the cardinals were 93-61 and the giants were 91-61.
The game scheduled a playoff game in which the giants won.
That put the cardinals at 93-62 and the giants at 92-61.
The game sent the cardinals to the world series.
What was the point of the game having a playoff game?
It had no impact on the standings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
That's probably because the Giants didn't play 154 games. They finished two games back with two games unplayed, so the AI must have thought that the only way to resolve the issue was to play a tie-breaker, since the Giants could have tied for the league lead if they had won those two rain-outs.

Not sure how to fix that, as you were probably using the as-played schedules, and those don't automatically schedule make-up games. In real life the Giants didn't have to play out those cancelled games because they finished 13 games behind the Cardinals.
There's definitely a mistake somewhere.

In real life, the Cardinals played 154 games in the 1931 season, finishing 101-53-0, while the Giants played 153 games, finishing 87-65-1. The tie game can't be recreated in OOTP, so it was stricken from the as played schedule file, leaving the Giants with 152 games played to a decision.

Even so, based on the final records of your example, the Giants were one game behind, as well as having a lower winning percentage than the Cardinals. So there is NO reason at all for there to be a tie-breaking playoff game. (That's leaving aside the fact that a best-of-three series would have been used at that time, not a single game.)

Log that as a bug. OOTP, for historical leagues using as played schedules, should NOT be scheduling any tie-breaking playoff games unless there are teams, at the conclusion of the schedule, tied in winning percentage for a post-season berth. Differing numbers of games played is irrelevant as far as historical leagues using as played schedules is concerned.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 03-02-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #203
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
There's definitely a mistake somewhere.

In real life, the Cardinals played 154 games in the 1931 season, finishing 101-53-0, while the Giants played 153 games, finishing 87-65-1. The tie game can't be recreated in OOTP, so it was stricken from the as played schedule file, leaving the Giants with 152 games played to a decision.

Even so, based on the final records of your example, the Giants were one game behind, as well as having a lower winning percentage than the Cardinals. So there is NO reason at all for there to be a tie-breaking playoff game. (That's leaving aside the fact that a best-of-three series would have been used at that time, not a single game.)

Log that as a bug. OOTP, for historical leagues using as played schedules, should NOT be scheduling any tie-breaking playoff games unless there are teams, at the conclusion of the schedule, tied in winning percentage for a post-season berth. Differing numbers of games played is irrelevant as far as historical leagues using as played schedules is concerned.

I agree with you and Joe.
It was an as played schedule.
Btw it happened again. The Tigers finished 2 games ahead of the Yankees at the end of 1933. The game wanted to have a 1 game playoff.
I just deleted the game and unchecked break ties with tie breaker games to proceed to the World Series.

Last edited by BaseballMan; 03-02-2019 at 10:11 PM.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #204
mjcarr74
Major Leagues

Hey Matt could you answer number 185 appreciate it!!
mjcarr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #205
pastimesteve
Bat Boy

With the 3D improvements, will there be a camera mode that follows the ball/play such as in the old Front Page Sports Baseball?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:46 PM   #206
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

Will Live Services include moving players to the DL? Will those injuries happen in the game?
gbwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #207
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

so lets say i start a season and do it in real-time like i have been.
so i can update the player ratings every single day and then play out a day of the season and then the next day do the same thing?

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3

Last edited by rjl518; 03-03-2019 at 07:40 AM.
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #208
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
so lets say i start a season and do it in real-time like i have been.
so i can update the player ratings every single day and then play out a day of the season and then the next day do the same thing?
I think you have to start a new season for live.

If you start a new league on August 1st you will get the teams after the trade deadline with current records and you can finish the season.

Last edited by daves; 03-03-2019 at 08:39 AM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #209
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I think you have to start a new season for live.

If you start a new league on August 1st you will get the teams after the trade deadline with current records and you can finish the season.
You can update player ratings for a game in progress. Doing that will not update league standings or move players around if they got traded in real life, but ratings can be adjusted on the fly (daily I don't know if it would make sense, but doing it weekly you should notice changes).
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #210
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Matt - since you're floating around here today, can you respond to post #16 of this thread please?

Thank you.
I would love it if they add manager of the year to the awards page.

Along this same path of thought, what if separate from the AL/NL awards page, we had a separate page that chronicled other league achievements by year. Maybe it could even be created so we the user could choose what gets listed by year.

For example, I would absolutely love to see a yearly list to league batting champions. In addition, a list of home run leaders, Era leaders, and Strikeout leaders by year would be cool as well.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #211
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post

Along this same path of thought, what if separate from the AL/NL awards page, we had a separate page that chronicled other league achievements by year. Maybe it could even be created so we the user could choose what gets listed by year.

For example, I would absolutely love to see a yearly list to league batting champions. In addition, a list of home run leaders, Era leaders, and Strikeout leaders by year would be cool as well.

I like literally as many awards pages, league pages, and reports as possible

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #212
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
I like literally as many awards pages, league pages, and reports as possible
Probably just me, but batting champion has always been one of my favorite achievements. I would love to be able to see them listed by year.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #213
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I cant even get the manager of the year award to work. It doesn't even give me the option to disable it. I cant type anything in the name box for the award. I guess its because i started with just the National League or maybe it doesn't work before 1901. If that's the case it would be nice if it would work once you got to 1901.
I would be happy if this works in 20.

Would be cool to have some awards like the Roberto Clemente award that might use some of the stories for the sim league that year.
It would be more cosmetic but the more awards the better.
As a commish you put in a lot of time and effort in your solo league. Having access to more awards would be awesome and rewarding imo.
Of course you can do it all yourself but having the game do it feels more authentic. I feel like i am cheating when i pick the awards.

Last edited by BaseballMan; 03-03-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #214
glenmere14
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Openers / Followers / In-Betweeners / Up-and-Downers / All-Arounders, etc. Oh Well, I guess that's where we are today. What can you do?

I'm old enough to remember guys like Wilbur Wood. He was his own Opener, Follower, Closer, and caterer all rolled into one.
LOL!

I remember Wilbur Wood starting both games of a doubleheader against the Yankees in the early 70s
glenmere14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #215
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

To be honest, the entire History section of OOTP needs a revamp and mostly just some modernization to include the things you mentioned and more.

I'd like to see something outside the game like a DB Program that would read your data files once a year, then make it like BBRef where the user can query pretty much anything they want. Add the ability to build their own reports in an HTML format and you're in business.

I like the Almanac myself, but it misses a lot and once you have a few seasons played it takes a long time to build.

We can hope and keep asking every year, maybe it will get some TLC one day
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #216
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefan1978 View Post
I hope we see a new news story for when a player is ejected for arguing strikes. The current one of the 3 blind mice one is the only one that gets used and it’s time for a couple of new ones.
The category has 58 entries, actually. From what I can tell, though, the one to which you refer is the only one conditioned for use when the ejectee’s team loses the game. I’d imagine this is why it keeps getting used. I made a change now that should severely limit its use.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #217
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
to be honest, the entire history section of ootp needs a revamp and mostly just some modernization to include the things you mentioned and more.

I'd like to see something outside the game like a db program that would read your data files once a year, then make it like bbref where the user can query pretty much anything they want. Add the ability to build their own reports in an html format and you're in business.

I like the almanac myself, but it misses a lot and once you have a few seasons played it takes a long time to build.

We can hope and keep asking every year, maybe it will get some tlc one day
+1000
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #218
arrabin56
Bat Boy

Hiring Managers

Will teams be able to hire managers who are coaches/minor league managers from other organizations? Always feel like the right candidates don't get jobs in the game because they're stuck as a pitching coach or in AAA.
arrabin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #219
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Has the computer's hall of fame voting been improved.
Right now i'd have to say its worse than that that writer that didn't vote for Roberto Alomar.
I constantly see pitchers that have won over 3oo games and batters with 3,000 hits hardly getting any votes compared to players with much lower stats.
I see players with barely 200 wins getting a lot more votes. And the 300 winner is also ahead in WAR, HOF monitor as well. So i'm not sure what the ai is thinking. Ive tried changing every thing i can think of but the ai voting is still horrible.
I could just choose the hall of famers but that seems like a cheat.

I just finished the voting for 1937 and Honus Wagner did not get 1 single vote.
Not one.
Even though he had 3,577 hits and a .323 career avg.
George Gore had 1726 hits and .292 career avg. and got 0.4 % of the votes.
I have dropped players at 0% so Wagner should not have been dropped.

Last edited by BaseballMan; 03-03-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #220
ecd1973
Major Leagues

Game recaps have come along way but they are desperately in need of injury and ejection text (who got injured and how....who got ejected and why) Please consider adding!