Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
raslavens
Minors (Single A)

How important is catcher defense/game calling in PT 2.0?

I'm no expert, but it's hard to tell. I'm not seeing a big difference in CERA between a middling C and a great C on my current Diamond team, and I've seen many veteran players here infer that catcher defense is not all that important. Experiences/thoughts/hard data?

Last edited by raslavens; 09-11-2019 at 01:45 PM.
raslavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

tbh I think the only thing that matters is the arm rating to throw out baserunners. I've had Lavalliere for 15+ seasons (can you believe that he never won a gold glove for me?) and before that I had a silver catcher (forgot his name but he won 2 gold gloves) with C ratings below 60. I didn't notice any difference in terms of ERA. Lavalliere threw out more baserunners but that's it.

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I'd like to see some league-wide data on this as I think it's important. But that would be tough to do given that teams may have the same catcher, but will likely have totally different pitchers. Data presented on the forums seems to have mixed conclusions. None of the stats that the game tracks for catchers can really be used without some caveats.

Anyway, my approach is to go with mostly defensive catchers (80+ rating) because it makes sense to me logically. You won't find Smoky in my house.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Catcher ability gets you more strikeouts. If you want more Corner Painter achievements use a catcher with high catcher ability.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #5
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

My personal guess is that catcher ability is implemented by sometimes changing a ball into a strike, so it plays into control a bit (pitch framing). This is consistent with what devs have said in the past. Maybe for pitchers with exceptionally low control it makes a difference, but in general I can't tell.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:57 PM   #6
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I'd like to see some league-wide data on this as I think it's important. But that would be tough to do given that teams may have the same catcher, but will likely have totally different pitchers. Data presented on the forums seems to have mixed conclusions. None of the stats that the game tracks for catchers can really be used without some caveats.

Anyway, my approach is to go with mostly defensive catchers (80+ rating) because it makes sense to me logically. You won't find Smoky in my house.
Smokey does bring in the accolades though, maybe more so than an other player.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #7
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Smokey does bring in the accolades though, maybe more so than an other player.
Josh Gibson is calling, would you like to take the call?

Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

I've always been a little curious why ootp includes a stat like CERA in the first place.

Bill James says CERA doesn't appear to actually measure anything.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
I've always been a little curious why ootp includes a stat like CERA in the first place.

Bill James says CERA doesn't appear to actually measure anything.
CERA may not measure anything in real baseball, but it is possible that this game is modeled so that it plays a role.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #10
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It is a descriptive statistic, it literally measures the ERA for a catcher. No more no less, you can infer from it whatever you want.

Does it have predictive value year after year? Maybe or maybe not. But it is an output not an input to the game engine.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

One of those questions that makes your fingers itch for access to server data sets.

Could just cheat and look at the code, but where's the fun in that?
Old 10-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One of those questions that makes your fingers itch for access to server data sets.

Or you could sim millions of games between identical teams, except that one team has the catcher ability at 100 and the other team has one at 50.
I think you can do it; I would do it, but I don't know how.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #13
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Or you could sim millions of games between identical teams, except that one team has the catcher ability at 100 and the other team has one at 50.
I think you can do it; I would do it, but I don't know how.
The simulation module loves Catcher Defense. Ability moreso than Arm.

I just looked at the 1997 Texas Rangers and simulated 10,000 games against the Milwaukee Brewers. Then I crippled Pudge's Ability/Arm and simulated 10,000 more.

It was actually kind of eerie, as Texas had a mirror image record:

Normal Pudge: 5093-4907
Crippled Pudge: 4907-5093

Other stats:

Normal Pudge: 4.72 ERA, 5.41 K/9, 2.56 BB/9, 3218 SB
Crippled Pudge: 4.89 ERA, 5.11 K/9, 2.75 BB/9, 5835 SB

But does the importance of Catcher Defense translate to Perfect Team? I dunno. A lot of teams do just fine with Smoky Burgess. But if they had a more defensive catcher would they do even better? I can't say for certain, even after testing. There's lots of quirks in Perfect Team that make it a different experience than regular OOTP.

Last edited by Argonaut; 10-30-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Whoops.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #14
chazzycat
All Star Starter

yeah the sim module does love catcher defense, especially "catcher ability."

But there is little evidence of this translating to PT, in my opinion.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #15
Janks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

Do you know coball?
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #16
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
The simulation module loves Catcher Defense. Ability moreso than Arm.

I just looked at the 1997 Texas Rangers and simulated 10,000 games against the Milwaukee Brewers. Then I crippled Pudge's Ability/Arm and simulated 10,000 more.

It was actually kind of eerie, as Texas had a mirror image record:

Normal Pudge: 5093-4907
Crippled Pudge: 4907-5093

Other stats:

Normal Pudge: 4.72 ERA, 5.41 K/9, 2.56 BB/9, 3218 SB
Crippled Pudge: 4.89 ERA, 5.11 K/9, 2.75 BB/9, 5835 SB

But does the importance of Catcher Defense translate to Perfect Team? I dunno. A lot of teams do just fine with Smoky Burgess. But if they had a more defensive catcher would they do even better? I can't say for certain, even after testing. There's lots of quirks in Perfect Team that make it a different experience than regular OOTP.
Not too long ago I was messing around with the 1996 Rangers trying to get a challenge pack. Though I forget the precise stat, Rusty Greer batted over .410.

I don't play the main game much, but anecdotal experiences such as that lead me start to questioning the actual veracity of the potential data sets.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:13 AM   #17
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
My personal guess is that catcher ability is implemented by sometimes changing a ball into a strike, so it plays into control a bit (pitch framing). This is consistent with what devs have said in the past. Maybe for pitchers with exceptionally low control it makes a difference, but in general I can't tell.

Have DEVS actually ran test seasons with any variance of catchers & pitcher to say much into this Thread. I personally dont put any stock into ratings. As odd as it may seems I've had Mike Lavalliere out hit a Mike Piazza card year in & year out. Now look at Mike L hitting ability ratings vs Piazza hitting ability...It's crazily dont make sense. And defensive numbers not much difference to seem to matter. a couple of years Piazza had higher caught stealing %

Last edited by Bunktown Ballers; 10-31-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #18
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
...As odd as it may seems I've had Mike Lavalliere out hit a Mike Piazza card year in & year out. Now look at Mike L hitting ability ratings vs Piazza hitting ability...It's crazily dont make sense. And defensive numbers not much difference to seem to matter. a couple of years Piazza had higher caught stealing %
Unless you are talking about the Piazza peak card, then Spanky outhitting him is not surprising. Against rhp Spanky has a 69 contact and a 73 avoid K, while, for example, an 87 Piazza has a 70/51. It´s a perfect example of how avoid Ks can affect batting average.
Now if Spanky out homered Piazza, that would be news.

As for CS%, it varies from year to year based on the competition in the league, pitcher hold ratings, and of course dumb luck.

I would also guess that the weaker runners won´t attempt to steal against strong-armed catchers as often as guys like Henderson, Raines, and so on, so that would skew the numbers as well. That is mere speculation mind you, I have no idea if the AI works in that way.

Last edited by justpatrick; 10-31-2019 at 05:56 AM.
justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote