Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 12-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Blackjack
Minors (Double A)

Is there a report that lists all the teams in my baseball world?

I'm playing a fictional league and I'm in the middle of expanding it. I don't want to duplicate any cities that already have teams as I create the minor league affiliates. Is there a report that lists them all in one spot
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I'm playing a fictional league and I'm in the middle of expanding it. I don't want to duplicate any cities that already have teams as I create the minor league affiliates. Is there a report that lists them all in one spot
EXACTLY - it is impossible to keep track of 200 cities and no way to manage them...not only that, they CHANGE frequently in historical sims.

Some times I amazed that after 19 versions things still aren't addressed....but all that time spent on a new skins...sigh
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

There is a way to do this that takes a little work and requires Excel/something similar but makes it possible. It only took me a couple minutes.

In the game, go to Game -> Game Settings -> Database
Select the Database Tools dropdown and then Configure data export to CSV files
Click deactivate all
Check these boxes: Replace accents, Dump only cities in use, Dump only nations in use, Insert column names/CSV headings, nations, cities, teams_basic
Click Save
Click the Database Tools dropdown again and select Export data to CSV files
Click the Database Tools dropdown once more and select Open data import/export folder
Open cities.csv, states.csv, and teams.csv in Excel - they should open as regular Excel formatted files.

Depending on your level of familiarity with Excel, this can get tricky - you basically use the VLOOKUP command to link up the teams, cities, and states.

Insert three columns in the teams.csv file after the city_id column (select the heading, right click, insert). Name the first column City, the second column state_id, and the third column State.

In the first new column (City), put the formula =VLOOKUP(city_id,cities.csv table,4,0)
-the city_id will be the cell directly next to where you are typing, probably F2
-while editing the formula, you can go to the cities.csv file and select the appropriate range. Mine was A2:D5478, this would change based on the number of cities in your game.
My final formula looks like this: =VLOOKUP(F2,cities.csv!$A$2:$D$5478,4,0)
Press enter and drag down the length of the file.

In the second new column (state_id), put the formula =VLOOKUP(city_id,cities.csv table,3,0)
Follow the same rules as before but you will be referencing the third column instead.
Here's my final formula: =VLOOKUP(F2,cities.csv!$A$2:$D$5478,3,0)

In the third new column (State), put the formula =VLOOKUP(state_id,state.csv table,3,0)
Follow the same rules as before but you will be referencing the state.csv file instead.
Here's my final formula: =VLOOKUP(H2,states.csv!$A$2:$C$1204,3,0)

You now have Team, City, and State for all teams in the universe.

You can clean the file up by selecting the columns you just created, right click copy, then right click, paste as values. This will remove the formulas and only leave the values in place. If you move or delete the other files that you're referencing, you can run into problems. You can also delete the state_id column as you probably won't need it anymore.

Hope this helps!
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealofhome View Post
There is a way to do this that takes a little work and requires Excel/something similar but makes it possible. It only took me a couple minutes.

In the game, go to Game -> Game Settings -> Database

Select the Database Tools dropdown and then Configure data export to CSV files

Click deactivate all

Check these boxes: Replace accents, Dump only cities in use, Dump only nations in use, Insert column names/CSV headings, nations, cities, teams_basic

Click Save

Click the Database Tools dropdown again and select Export data to CSV files

Click the Database Tools dropdown once more and select Open data import/export folder

Open cities.csv, states.csv, and teams.csv in Excel - they should open as regular Excel formatted files.

Depending on your level of familiarity with Excel, this can get tricky - you basically use the VLOOKUP command to link up the teams, cities, and states.

Insert three columns in the teams.csv file after the city_id column (select the heading, right click, insert). Name the first column City, the second column state_id, and the third column State.

In the first new column (City), put the formula =VLOOKUP(city_id,cities.csv table,4,0)

-the city_id will be the cell directly next to where you are typing, probably F2

-while editing the formula, you can go to the cities.csv file and select the appropriate range. Mine was A25478, this would change based on the number of cities in your game.

My final formula looks like this: =VLOOKUP(F2,cities.csv!$A$2:$D$5478,4,0)

In the second new column (state_id), put the formula =VLOOKUP(city_id,cities.csv table,3,0)

Follow the same rules as before but you will be referencing the third column instead.

Here's my final formula: =VLOOKUP(F2,cities.csv!$A$2:$D$5478,3,0)

In the third new column (State), put the formula =VLOOKUP(state_id,state.csv table,3,0)

Follow the same rules as before but you will be referencing the state.csv file instead.

Here's my final formula: =VLOOKUP(H2,states.csv!$A$2:$C$1204,3,0)

You now have Team, City, and State for all teams in the universe.

You can clean the file up by selecting the columns you just created, right click copy, then right click, paste as values. This will remove the formulas and only leave the values in place. If you move or delete the other files that you're referencing, you can run into problems. You can also delete the state_id column as you probably won't need it anymore.

Hope this helps!
Trying to learn how to use effectively .csv files, from where do you recommend me to start? Any useful books? Maybe Excel for Dummies will teach me?? Or MySQL?
I would like to track mainly changes in ratings in OOTP and FOF, thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

for the cities and avoiding redundancies, you could go to league structure (under global/game settings, i believe)

if you are familiar with either of those 2 options -- dB / spreadsheet -- both would work fine... the more complicated you go, you probably want the dB. you can do just about anything needed with a spreadhseet too and have it just as automated / 1-click operation type stuff too.

the db route is probably easier for what you describe, but a bit more technical? you have to do a lot more of the work with spreadsheets, imo. you could make all sorts of reports and queries to display the data you mentioned over time or whatever independent variable.

the csv files are just text files with a specified delimiter. when you import into a spreadsheet or source a databse, make sure to set the same delimiter -- think comma is default, but you can change those settings in OotP, too.

they'll be compatible with anythign you choose to do with it.

about the db settings in ootp -- you can reduce what is exported, if you have not already. you probably want to include "headers" -- at least as a reference to cut out, if it's a problem with impoting to excell/access type program. usually you can ignore first line etc, if needed.

as far as learning.. the type of stuff you'd be doing wouldn't take too much.. been long time for me, but you can find all sorts of sql examples online. how to select and manipulate is very straightforward. it will take time, of course... not unlike learning how to properly make a spreadsheet that doesn't require hands-on work each time you open it.

with only superficial knowledge from a college class 20 years ago, i was able to recently source a ~300mb relational db and make create soem sql statements to customize it a bit. i didn't recall any of the vocabulary, but i did know basically what had to be done. got user accoutns set up, it's communicating across my lan, but not with internet and working properly with a client.

the point: it may seem 'greek' the first time you read it sql statements and the like, but it's incredibly straight-forward stuff, really. it's likely covered in some forum or youtube video.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-16-2019 at 08:22 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Though nothing there addresses your initial question of listing teams and cities, you can read the first site in my signature for how to set up a MySQL db with OOTP data. From there, getting that list can be done with the following query:

Code:
SELECT teams.name AS city
    , teams.nickname AS 'team name'
    , leagues.abbr AS league

FROM teams INNER JOIN leagues ON teams.league_id = leagues.league_id

ORDER BY teams.name;

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
cavebutter
All Star Starter

And really, you don't need to set up the whole database to do this. You can do this in Access and just load the teams and leagues file.

Logo Gallery
Old 01-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #8
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
Trying to learn how to use effectively .csv files, from where do you recommend me to start? Any useful books? Maybe Excel for Dummies will teach me?? Or MySQL?
I would like to track mainly changes in ratings in OOTP and FOF, thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Last post on this thread, I promise - but feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Tracking ratings over time is really difficult outside of the game. That's because the dump does not include ratings history. It can be done, but it takes some work.

The inelegant way is to create a table called ratings_year where year is the game year that you dumped the data. Create a new table every game year and join them on player_id.

The more elegant way would be to create a single ratings table and write a script in SQL that takes the annual ratings dump, creates a temporary table from it, adds a game_year column to it, inserts it to your single ratings table, and deletes the temp table.

Just taking a stab at it here, it would look something like this:

Code:
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE ratings_temp LIKE ratings;
LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'filepath/ratings.csv'
INTO TABLE ratings_temp
FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',';

INSERT INTO  ratings (game_year, field1, field2, fieldn)
    SELECT 2018 as 'game_year', field1, field2, fieldn
    FROM ratings_temp;

DROP TEMPORARY TABLE ratings_temp;
You'd only have to update the game year value (bolded above) each time you ran the script.

Logo Gallery

Last edited by cavebutter; 01-16-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
Last post on this thread, I promise - but feel free to PM me with any other questions.
Feel free to keep going!
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote