Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 12-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
jhart05
Major Leagues

Feeder League Question - RE:League Totals and Modifiers

Doesn't seem like anyone is looking at that other thread anymore, so thought I'd start a new thread.

Question regarding High School Feeders.

I set up one HS League with 16 teams the other with 24 teams.

However the "League Totals and Modifiers" on the "Strategy & More" tab are all the same.

Won't that be a problem? Won't I get better players from the 16 team league?

Maybe I'm interpreting that section incorrectly. It's my understanding the game will try to get that league to equal (or nearly equal) those stats at the end of the year. Is that not correct?

I do want them to be about equal in what those feeders produce.

Thanks for the help.
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
jhart05
Major Leagues

Out of the Park Baseball Manual

Couldn't figure out how to delete.

It appears I was interpreting this section incorrectly.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
le receveur
All Star Starter

and from experience it works well. i have 2 HS league, one US one Canadian, with similar modifier but different team, and they produce proportional results so far..
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
and from experience it works well. i have 2 HS league, one US one Canadian, with similar modifier but different team, and they produce proportional results so far..

Are you saying you have different number of teams in those leagues, but the stats are proportionally reasonable?

Could you post what you are using for your modifiers?

Last edited by jhart05; 12-13-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart05 View Post
Are you saying you have different number of teams in those leagues, but the stats are proportionally reasonable?

Could you post what you are using for your modifiers?
yeah US league is bigger. actually used the defaults and they are going well, and no weird evolution like minors and PB at factors of 30.

it does produce lower OBP then when system was creating draftees. whereas before above .500 OBP was my filter for HS, now .400 seems to be it, but similar from both feeder.

when i get home i'll post them...
Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
jhart05
Major Leagues

I'm a bit worried about checking the "Automatically control in-game engine to match league totals".

I have a college feeder league with 32 teams.

Then a couple of 16-team and one 24-team high school feeders.

How will checking that box above effect those feeders?

Initially when setting up those feeders, they were all 24 teams and less games. I have not only added some teams, but also bumped up the games played. But the league total stats all stayed the same.

If I check that box, won't the league try to equal those stats at the end, even thou the number of teams are different?

Anyone?

Last edited by jhart05; 12-13-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
yeah US league is bigger. actually used the defaults and they are going well, and no weird evolution like minors and PB at factors of 30.

it does produce lower OBP then when system was creating draftees. whereas before above .500 OBP was my filter for HS, now .400 seems to be it, but similar from both feeder.

when i get home i'll post them...

Any word on those settings you're using?
Old 12-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Doesn't seem like anyone is looking at that other thread anymore, so thought I'd start a new thread.

Question regarding High School Feeders.

I set up one HS League with 16 teams the other with 24 teams.

However the "League Totals and Modifiers" on the "Strategy & More" tab are all the same.

Won't that be a problem? Won't I get better players from the 16 team league?

Maybe I'm interpreting that section incorrectly. It's my understanding the game will try to get that league to equal (or nearly equal) those stats at the end of the year. Is that not correct?

I do want them to be about equal in what those feeders produce.

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have an answer regarding this question?

Basically I guess I'm wondering when, if ever, those totals by stat category on that screen have any effect on player creation, or does it strictly go by the ratios to the right of those total numbers?

So as long as I don't hit the "recalc" in the upper right corner of that little section, I can expect players to be created the same each year.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Does anyone have an answer regarding this question?

Basically I guess I'm wondering when, if ever, those totals by stat category on that screen have any effect on player creation, or does it strictly go by the ratios to the right of those total numbers?

So as long as I don't hit the "recalc" in the upper right corner of that little section, I can expect players to be created the same each year.
The league totals and modifiers section has nothing to do with player creation or ratings. It simply controls the overall statistical output of your league.

The player creation modifiers to the bottom left of the League Setup > Strategy screen are what controls the player creation ratings.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
The league totals and modifiers section has nothing to do with player creation or ratings. It simply controls the overall statistical output of your league.

The player creation modifiers to the bottom left of the League Setup > Strategy screen are what controls the player creation ratings.

Okay. So if that only controls the stats, I think I may have an issue then.

I have two feeder leagues, one with 16 teams and one with 24 teams.

They both have the same stat totals in that section.

Won't my individual player stats in the 16 team league be over inflated then? Causing those players to look and develop faster?
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
jhart05
Major Leagues

Apparently not. Found this in the manual:

"One important point to understand about the league totals and modifiers is that, unlike player creation modifiers, league totals directly affect the statistical output of the game engine. They have no impact at all on player ratings, potential, or player development. Even if you reduce your home run league total modifier to 0.150, your slugger with a 100 Power rating would still have 100 Power, and he would still hit more home runs than other players. But the numbers of home runs across the league overall would be drastically reduced."

I understand what that means, however I don't think it makes any sense.

But I believe this can be turned off, can't it?

I'd feel better if I saw the totals reflect the actual number of teams in that league.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
le receveur
All Star Starter

sorry i have been trying to make a coherent post in reply. I currently have 2 HS leagues

one has 30 teams, the other 36. i have used the standard defaults factors from OOTP, both leagues are evolving slightly differently, but when i look at overall league stats for BA, OBP, ERA etc. i don't see anything materially different, and a 5* prospect coming out of one league looks similar to one from the other league.

that being said, it's only 20% difference in team, so i'm not sure if the impact wo uld be dramatic, and maybe it has just caught up by now...
Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Apparently not. Found this in the manual:

"One important point to understand about the league totals and modifiers is that, unlike player creation modifiers, league totals directly affect the statistical output of the game engine. They have no impact at all on player ratings, potential, or player development. Even if you reduce your home run league total modifier to 0.150, your slugger with a 100 Power rating would still have 100 Power, and he would still hit more home runs than other players. But the numbers of home runs across the league overall would be drastically reduced."

I understand what that means, however I don't think it makes any sense.

But I believe this can be turned off, can't it?

I'd feel better if I saw the totals reflect the actual number of teams in that league.
Why doesn't it make sense to you?

To explain further:

No, the league modifiers can't be turned off.

There's no problem here though, the game doesn't actually use the totals to create the stats. It uses the modifiers.

The totals are just a tool. They're there so that you can input real life league totals and get the modifiers appropriate to those totals, but the modifiers are what's actually important. So no, it doesn't matter just what the totals are, unless you hit the auto-calc button. Then the game will use the totals to create new modifiers.

If you want a reasonable, default type statistical output then just set each of the modifiers to 1.000 and you'll be good to go, no matter what the totals are.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 12-17-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
jhart05
Major Leagues

I understand what it means. Maybe doesn't make sense wasn't the right term.

If those totals keep the league totals in check like that, that would mean the players individual totals have to be kept in check.

So for example a player in my 16-team league vs a player in my 24-team league.

The player in my 16-team would end up having better hitting stats, than a player in my 24-team league because the game is trying to get the overall stats around a certain number. Which would then make the 16-team player seem better.

Maybe I'm thinking or reading too much into it.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I understand what it means. Maybe doesn't make sense wasn't the right term.

If those totals keep the league totals in check like that, that would mean the players individual totals have to be kept in check.

So for example a player in my 16-team league vs a player in my 24-team league.

The player in my 16-team would end up having better hitting stats, than a player in my 24-team league because the game is trying to get the overall stats around a certain number. Which would then make the 16-team player seem better.

Maybe I'm thinking or reading too much into it.
I think you are reading too much into it. The game doesn't actually calculate using the total numbers, it just uses the modifiers to calculate the stats. The total numbers are just a tool to help you set the modifiers according to real life league totals if you wish to do so.

So if you have the same modifiers in two different leagues it shouldn't matter how many teams in your league, the stats will look the same.

Where you get issues is if you input totals for the wrong size league and then hit the auto calc button. Then the game will create wonky modifiers. But even if that happens, all you need to do is change the modifiers back to more or less around 1.000 and your stats will be fine.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 12-17-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
I think you are reading too much into it. The game doesn't actually calculate using the total numbers, it just uses the modifiers to calculate the stats. The total numbers are just a tool to help you set the modifiers according to real life league totals if you wish to do so.

So if you have the same modifiers in two different leagues it shouldn't matter how many teams in your league, the stats will look the same.

Where you get issues is if you input totals for the wrong size league and then hit the auto calc button. Then the game will create wonky modifiers. But even if that happens, all you need to do is change the modifiers back to more or less around 1.000 and your stats will be fine.

or put a 30 multiplier on PB and 12 on strikeout for fun... (trying hard from making any reference to a now former catcher of the blue jays... nope not working)
Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
jhart05
Major Leagues

So this should be my final question, then I think I'm good to go.

I'm not using 1.0 for my Major League multiplier.

I'm using basically an average from the 80s. There are other reasons, but one is I just didn't want high HR totals.

Would I want to apply those same multipliers for my feeder leagues?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
So this should be my final question, then I think I'm good to go.

I'm not using 1.0 for my Major League multiplier.

I'm using basically an average from the 80s. There are other reasons, but one is I just didn't want high HR totals.

Would I want to apply those same multipliers for my feeder leagues?
I think that's really just a personal choice.

It depends on whether you want the same offensive environment in your feeder leagues as in your main leagues or whether you'd like to create something like the high offensive environment that was in NCAA baseball for years, or the low offensive environment that's in the NCAA now.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
jhart05
Major Leagues

Well my rationale was, having those the same would keep the players coming into my MLB level in the future, similar in production to those I have in MLB at the start.

Is that not a correct way of looking at it, or am I over thinking again?