Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
jhart05
Major Leagues

Fictional League Questions - Rookie Level and Salary Cap??

Rookie League:

Not seeing any players in my Rookie level in a Fictional League. My rookie league is unconventional as it plays 144 or so games and starts on April 1. I set up my draft to be on November 1st.

Upon initial creation of my league, I don't have any players in the Rookie League Level. I think I understand why. Most Rookie leagues don't start up 'till after the June Draft, etc ...

So I guess my question is, should I let the AI fill that league with players from the start of leave it alone? Will that cause me any issues later on?

Salary Cap Question:

I am trying to create basically an even league, with a hard salary cap. Found a thread here somewhere to use a guide. I don't want much variance between the top payroll and the bottom.

However when I start up I have the top team payroll at about $25MM and the bottom at less than $4MM. Any ideas how I can even that up a bit more? I've been letting the AI populate the teams. Maybe I should go with a draft to start it up? Maybe that will force teams to take players to spend money on?
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

You could apply fictional contracts to all players. That may end up redundent in a fictional league.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
jhart05
Major Leagues

I tried that, didn't do anything.

For whatever reason it's stocking certain teams with better players than others. Therefore the higher salary for those players.

On my next try, I had all player payrolls about equal, but all players have about a $87k contract.

I checked the financial rules, they all seem fine.

Not sure what I did wrong this time.

Really getting frustrated here. I'm on my 4th or 5th try here. All I want is a fictional 24-team league, a hard salary cap, 4 levels of minors, with college and high school feeders.

Last edited by jhart05; 12-09-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
helm123
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Watching to see if you figure this out. As soon as the game hits Steam I'll be picking it up and prefer a completely fictional setup like you're trying.
helm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by helm123 View Post
Watching to see if you figure this out. As soon as the game hits Steam I'll be picking it up and prefer a completely fictional setup like you're trying.

What's strange is the financials seem to be working in the exact opposite as what I'd expect.

I check "Enable Reserve-Clause Era Rules" and that gives me a good range of salaries, but this setup isn't what I want to continue with.

I uncheck "Enable Reserve-Clause Era Rules" and that gives me balanced payrolls, but pretty much everyone at $165k

Last edited by jhart05; 12-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
jhart05
Major Leagues

6th or 7th try, don't know lost count.

This time I tried the draft method, instead of having the AI place players on teams.

All players ended up with about a $165k salary thou.

Also the game only generated enough players to fill up 25 players per team. So I was left with no FA's and couldn't sim a season, because a team was short of players. I think I know how to resolve that, just increase the max number of players per minor league team, then reduce it later.

Still can't get the game to fill up my Rookie level team thou. Is the only way to do this after creation of the league? Using the option to make the AI fill up those rosters. (I forget what it's called.)

You know, I wonder if I bump up the minor league team limits to 35 players, then reduce it to 25 afterwards, will teams simply cut players, or will they move players around including down to my Rookie Level? Maybe a combo of both? Anyone know?

Anyone out there have an idea what I'm doing wrong here? Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere along the line? Any tips or ieas as to what to look for, would be much appreciated.

Could it be because all players don't have any service time yet as the league was just created? So, I'm seeing the $165k contracts across the board? Suppose this will be the next thing I should check.

Last edited by jhart05; 12-11-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
jhart05
Major Leagues

Out of the Park Baseball Manual

This page says nothing about Rookie level.

So now I'm not sure why the game won't populate my Rookie level teams or generate enough players to fill up that level.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
jhart05
Major Leagues

Or maybe I can trick the game.

Set all minors to 35 player max.

Start the game, then before the draft pull those all back to 25 players.

This would at least give me some FA's, I doubt it will fix my no players in Rookie Level issue thou.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
jhart05
Major Leagues

Another question regarding High School Feeders.

I set up one HS League with 16 teams the other with 24 teams.

However the League Totals on the Strategy & More tab are all the same.

Won't that be a problem? Will I get better players from the 16 team league?

I want them to be about equal in what those feeders produce.

Last edited by jhart05; 12-12-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
jhart05
Major Leagues

I gave up trying to use my template. I think because it was from a historical league, something was messing it up.

Started fresh with a fictional league, then gave each team from Majors down to Rookie ball real life team names and such.

We'll see how this goes. Made a template of this, so should be able to use it again to make adjustments when this setup eventually proves to be faulty.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
pjh5165
Major Leagues

I'd recommend setting up your league with a normal rookie league schedule originally, and sim a few years.

After that, change your draft date to Nov 1. Sim another few years.

Then change your rookie league season length and start date and again sim a few years.

If it works you can just erase all league history and start from there, and if it doesn't at least you'll probably be able to identify where exactly the problem lies.

Not positive if this will work, but that's how I'd try to fix it.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjh5165 View Post
I'd recommend setting up your league with a normal rookie league schedule originally, and sim a few years.

After that, change your draft date to Nov 1. Sim another few years.

Then change your rookie league season length and start date and again sim a few years.

If it works you can just erase all league history and start from there, and if it doesn't at least you'll probably be able to identify where exactly the problem lies.

Not positive if this will work, but that's how I'd try to fix it.

I got the rookie league to work now, with populated teams in the beginning. Had to be an issue with my original template. I scrapped it and started fresh. Now my concern is those high school feeders.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not seeing any players in my Rookie level in a Fictional League. My rookie league is unconventional as it plays 144 or so games and starts on April 1. I set up my draft to be on November 1st.
Since you changed the draft date I think you will have to manually add players.
Go to League Set Up, then select your A ball league from the upper right drop down menu.
In the center column you need to scroll down a few options. The 5th option is "Fill Teams with Fictional Players". Be aware that this only fills the selected league. If you were going to fill A and AA you would need to do this one time for each league.

The game will not automatically adjust to all of our decisions.

Have you checked your A ball schedule, you mentioned you changed the length and something else. Did you adjust the schedule?

Good luck,
Tom
Old 12-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Since you changed the draft date I think you will have to manually add players.
Go to League Set Up, then select your A ball league from the upper right drop down menu.
In the center column you need to scroll down a few options. The 5th option is "Fill Teams with Fictional Players". Be aware that this only fills the selected league. If you were going to fill A and AA you would need to do this one time for each league.

The game will not automatically adjust to all of our decisions.

Have you checked your A ball schedule, you mentioned you changed the length and something else. Did you adjust the schedule?

Good luck,
Tom

Posted above what I ended up doing with my template. Rookie level does fill in now that I scrapped my original template. I have to think that template from a historical league was somehow causing my issue.

Now my concern is with the high school feeders. Not sure if I need to adjust those numbers on the Strategy & More tab to reflect only having 16 teams or not.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart05 View Post
I got the rookie league to work now, with populated teams in the beginning. Had to be an issue with my original template. I scrapped it and started fresh. Now my concern is those high school feeders.
I missed this before I sent my response.

I think the Historical vs Fictional was a part of your problem.

As far as finances go.
Are you locking National and Local media contracts?
I think if you create the league, release players and schedule inaugural draft, then assign fictional contracts before you run the draft you may get more of what you are looking for.

Then, maybe, in the draft the money will make a little more sense.
You may have a hard time getting payrolls to match up in the beginning. If a team happens to draft young and another drafts older, Post Arb, players their payrolls are going to be really different. Drafting strategy could have a massive impact on payroll.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:

Good luck,
Tom

My schedules are pretty good.

I'm using a couple custom schedules I found on that thread that lists 100's of different ones.

I use a 137-game 24T,2SL, 2D, schedule for AAA and AA, and a 144-game 24T,2SL,3D, schedule for A and R. Why? I seem to remember the 3 division setup worked better geographically for the lower levels for some reason. Don't remember exactly.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, I know nothing useful about feeders.
I know there is a thread by Biggio???, I think, that is kind of a feeder guide.

All I have, sorry.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
I missed this before I sent my response.

I think the Historical vs Fictional was a part of your problem.

As far as finances go.
Are you locking National and Local media contracts?
I think if you create the league, release players and schedule inaugural draft, then assign fictional contracts before you run the draft you may get more of what you are looking for.

Then, maybe, in the draft the money will make a little more sense.
You may have a hard time getting payrolls to match up in the beginning. If a team happens to draft young and another drafts older, Post Arb, players their payrolls are going to be really different. Drafting strategy could have a massive impact on payroll.

Yes locking National media contract. Local media will be zero.

Basically I'm using the model MooK881 talks about in this thread:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...alary-cap.html

From top to bottom on the Finance Page this is pretty much what I'm going with:

2 - (Yes, tickets to games in my league will average $2.)

6 Years
No, FA from other
No, FA to leave
No, Pick Compensation
No, Arbitration
6 Years

Same
No, entire revenue available
No, sharing

There will also be a salary cap for every team on the initial draft of around $22MM.

Last edited by jhart05; 12-12-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #19
MooK881
Minors (Double A)

Here is my current set of financials
Attached Images
MooK881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
MooK881
Minors (Double A)

I would definitely keep your salary cap at 35 mil like you have. Much better
this system isn't perfect but most teams will spend over 20 million
32 of my 40 teams spend over 20 million
only 2 above cap (due to recent activation of arbitration in my league as an experiment)

Last edited by MooK881; 12-12-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: more info
MooK881 is offline   Reply With Quote