Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
jhart05
Major Leagues

Yes that's what I ended up having to do.

So then what's the point of having a depth chart, and telling the AI to "Start this Guy every 2nd game", if it doesn't do that.
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #22
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart05 View Post
Yes that's what I ended up having to do.

So then what's the point of having a depth chart, and telling the AI to "Start this Guy every 2nd game", if it doesn't do that.

the question of this thread wasn't about whether the depth chart did or didn't do what you say, it was about how to get guys the appropriate PT in ST, I answered that question without bringing up another issue that is irrelevant
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #23
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Yes. And it's basically the only reason I didn't give spring training an F grade.
So you are saying pitcher usage is good? Should it not start at two or three innings and then slowly ramp up to five or six innings?
fromtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #24
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
the question of this thread wasn't about whether the depth chart did or didn't do what you say, it was about how to get guys the appropriate PT in ST, I answered that question without bringing up another issue that is irrelevant

Okay, fine.

So my new question for someone then is, "what's the point of having a depth chart, and telling the AI to "Start this Guy every 2nd game", if it doesn't do that."

Last edited by jhart05; 12-06-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtheline View Post
So you are saying pitcher usage is good? Should it not start at two or three innings and then slowly ramp up to five or six innings?
I'm new to the game, but I thought it was okay.

Maybe try putting a pitch count limit that would allow them to get up to 5 or 6 innings?
Old 12-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
fromtheline
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I'm new to the game, but I thought it was okay.

Maybe try putting a pitch count limit that would allow them to get up to 5 or 6 innings?
The limit is a maximum, not minimum, no?
fromtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Okay, fine.

So my new question for someone then is, "what's the point of having a depth chart, and telling the AI to "Start this Guy every 2nd game", if it doesn't do that."
do you do that, and also tell the AI do whatever you want with the line-up, or do you also have you the GM controlling the line-up? i'm mainly a simmer so i know i have to use the strategy over-rides, but i'm curious how you play it
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #28
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
do you do that, and also tell the AI do whatever you want with the line-up, or do you also have you the GM controlling the line-up? i'm mainly a simmer so i know i have to use the strategy over-rides, but i'm curious how you play it

I'm new to the game. Haven't even played a single full season yet. So, I've probably played it less than you.

I just want to GM, then set the lineups, depth charts, and pitching rotations.

So yes, I'd like to just set the depth chart and have the AI Manager use it. But it doesn't seem to me that it uses it correctly. Maybe that's just because I'm still in ST, I don't know.

Last edited by jhart05; 12-06-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #29
jhart05
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtheline View Post
The limit is a maximum, not minimum, no?

Again, I'm new to the game myself, but I believe it's a loose maximum.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #30
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm new to the game. Haven't even played a single full season yet. So, I've probably played it less than you.

I just want to GM, then set the lineups, depth charts, and pitching rotations.

So yes, I'd like to just set the depth chart and have the AI Manager use it. But it doesn't seem to me that it uses it correctly. Maybe that's just because I'm still in ST, I don't know.
no the AI manager has been my biggest issue so far with the game. i ended up having valuable prospect released because i wanted someone to replace disabled players when they were disabled.. being pure GM, seems to require day-to-day operations.

wait until september when clinched, the coach still puts your no.1 guys on the last game, for 8 innings...
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #31
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again, I'm new to the game myself, but I believe it's a loose maximum.
I've always used pitch counts during ST. First 2 starts, they don't throw more than 40, then up it to 60, and then 90 for remainder of ST.

I use my depth chart and set them all to "start every second day". This works fine for me.

I also limit my relievers.

Have never had a problem with players not getting playing time or getting too much too early.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #32
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
no the AI manager has been my biggest issue so far with the game. i ended up having valuable prospect released because i wanted someone to replace disabled players when they were disabled.. being pure GM, seems to require day-to-day operations.

wait until september when clinched, the coach still puts your no.1 guys on the last game, for 8 innings...
Your can use the "bench player for X days" in strategy to prevent the AI from starting them over the last few days.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Okay, fine.

In actual practice, 'start every 2nd game' means there's a 50% chance the guy starts the game, and 50% he doesn't at that position. So if he's the back-up at two spots, there are two independent 'die rolls' to see if he starts.