Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
GulfCoastTiger
Bat Boy

Would I enjoy this game?

I thought before I purchased this game, that I would ask veteran players of OOTP if I would like this game?

I am conflicted, because I really don't follow MLB baseball hardly at all. With that said, I do follow collegiate baseball. I am a big LSU fan, and at LSU baseball is a pretty big deal, haha.

Sports management games have always fascinated me. The two big ones are soccer and baseball. I know very little about soccer, and a fair amount of baseball from following my LSU boys.

I want an addicting, engrossing game... I just wonder if it'll click for me? If you guys do think someone like myself would enjoy this, how do you suggest I play?

Thanks,
Jeff
GulfCoastTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
mgoetze
Minors (Triple A)

Well, why don't you just try the game for free for a couple of days? There is a demo period.

There are several ways to play, but doing the general managing is probably the most fleshed-out and rewarding aspect. However, this does require some knowledge of the peculiarities of MLB roster rules. Of course you don't have to be a huge MLB fan to get those, and playing with fictional players can be just as fun as playing with real MLB players.

But who knows, you might be happy enough just doing the in-game management.

Oh and there are some NCAA mods available too AFAIK. They probably can't model all the NCAA rules, though.
mgoetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Well, we're all pretty biased here, but if you are interested in baseball & sports management, OOTP is as good as it gets.

If you don't follow MLB, that's not a big deal, as it's really easy to set up a custom fictional league. If you follow NCAA, there's even a mod that sets up an NCAA game world that you can play.

I'd suggest downloading the demo of OOTP 13 (link) so you can get an idea of what to expect.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Even if you dont follow baseball you could still try historical as well as fictional. Who knows it might get you more interested in baseball. Evidently your a little interested or you wouldnt be asking. But a player stats might catch your attention. It may not be a famous player like Babe Ruth or Joe Dimaggio and it may be a player we all know. But for you it might be like reading a new book or seeing a movie for the first time. Just dont get frustrated. Theres lots of ways to play and you will probably have plenty of questions. There are a lot of helpful topics in the forums and members willing to help.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
GulfCoastTiger
Bat Boy

Thanks guys!

So im giving it a go. How do you guys prefer to play out your games? Do you prefer to do the play-by-play with coaching? Real-time Simulation Mode? Or do you prefer to just quickly sim the whole day? I'm curious
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Personally I GM/manage one team and play out every game. I find it more fun that way and I get to know the players really well.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
GulfCoastTiger
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Personally I GM/manage one team and play out every game. I find it more fun that way and I get to know the players really well.
Very cool. When you play out the games, is there no automatic coaching going on? It didn't seem to be when I tried it. I wonder if im adept enough to actually manage the boys on the field yet
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

If you prefer College over MLB you can play Nutt's NCAA mod, it's fun.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastTiger View Post
I want an addicting, engrossing game... I just wonder if it'll click for me?
You'll be in OOTP rehab in no time at all.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
mgoetze
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
So im giving it a go. How do you guys prefer to play out your games? Do you prefer to do the play-by-play with coaching? Real-time Simulation Mode? Or do you prefer to just quickly sim the whole day? I'm curious
At the moment I'm handling substitutions only, letting the AI play out an inning at a time and then making pitching changes, or sometimes putting in a few pinch hitters or defensive subs.
mgoetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
GulfCoastTiger
Bat Boy

Thanks guys!!! Rockin' some Brewers on '13... because I know absolutely nothing about their team haha
Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
Gern44
All Star Starter

Make sure you check out the mods forum and deck out your teams with the latest ballcaps, jerseys and logos! Its adds an entirely new level of immersion.

Holy crap, that sounds like im trying to sell something...

Gern44's Blog
Gern44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gern44 View Post
Make sure you check out the mods forum and deck out your teams with the latest ballcaps, jerseys and logos! Its adds an entirely new level of immersion.

Holy crap, that sounds like im trying to sell something...
It's cool Gern we will do that for you.

Get you some Justafan logos, Gern44 and Reds1 Uniforms for modern, NHL, NFL and some interesting alts. No Pepper for historical and negro. Gambo for parks, who did I forget?
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Maybe I'm missing something, but I have yet to see anyone claim they did not enjoy OOTP. It's the best and it continues to improve every year.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
bigrevkev55
Minors (Single A)

Want to enjoy

I want to enjoy this game but am too overwhelmed. I can't believe I am going to say this but...there is too much to keep up with. I downloaded and played some of the 13 demo but was too overwhelmed. I don't understand the ratings and was never able to set the linups because it was flipping between too many screens to figure out matchups against lefties/righties etc. and getting all the ratings. I really want to like this game and can't believe I don't.
bigrevkev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Very cool. When you play out the games, is there no automatic coaching going on? It didn't seem to be when I tried it. I wonder if im adept enough to actually manage the boys on the field yet
You can turn it on or off.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #17
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrevkev55 View Post
I want to enjoy this game but am too overwhelmed. I can't believe I am going to say this but...there is too much to keep up with. I downloaded and played some of the 13 demo but was too overwhelmed. I don't understand the ratings and was never able to set the linups because it was flipping between too many screens to figure out matchups against lefties/righties etc. and getting all the ratings. I really want to like this game and can't believe I don't.
This game can be overwhelming.

You can start simpler and delegate some of these tasks to the AI. This allows you to be a step or two removed from the details and learn the game more.

On your manager options page there are menus on the right for selecting who makes decisions.

When you are looking at your rosters, on the top left there is a Views tab. You can customize views to give you the specific info you are looking for. I would go nuts without my custom views.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #18
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrevkev55 View Post
I was the same when I first got the game. It might take some time getting used to. Like it was mentioned before, you could relegate things to the AI, maybe turn off coaching and scouting. By the time you get it, you're going to be wanting more features to be added and more things to keep up with.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #19
bigrevkev55
Minors (Single A)

You guys were right!!!

I am totally addicted. I have not done anything except play the free OOTP 13 demo for the last 5 days! I have a question about that...I have seen that you can import v.13 games into version 14...but can I import the demo files into version13? 14? Will have to do all the mods again? Also, is there a way to add all the team logos at once? I have been doing it one team at a time and Im thinking that there has to be a better way.
bigrevkev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #20
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

If you install a mod with graphics and then create a new game, OOTP will use your installed logos. You don't need to manually load them unless they weren't installed before you created your game.

As far as converting demo files, I'm not sure, but I would think that you could import any saved game into OOTP 14, even if it was originally from the demo.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote