Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

Association Playoffs aren't starting

Hey everyone, anyone know how to get association playoffs to start?

I have a large fictional world league and want to have multiple association playoffs to crown regional champions before going to a world tournament. However, when I get to the end of the regular season, the association playoffs don't start (I have playoffs disabled in each individual league). At first I thought it was because one of my leagues had a rainout scheduled for the day after the "Regular Season Ends" league event, but I don't think it's that issue. It is worth noting that the rainout game involves a team vying for the league championship (ties for 1st with a win) and sometimes creates a tiebreaker situation, but I've had multiple attempts to start the association playoffs and the outcome of those games doesn't impact it.

I also attempted to trigger the start of the association playoffs by creating a "Playoffs Start" league event for each individual league at a date a few days after the regular season ended but that didn't work either.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the Association Playoffs don't automatically start?

EDIT: I should also note that I first made these attempts in OOTP19 last night, and then tried again today after converting the league to OOTP20, all to no avail.

Last edited by NovaNation19; 06-25-2019 at 07:48 PM.
NovaNation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

A similar thing happened to me as I ended my postseason... it turned out I had changed the structure of another member league but had not changed the association playoff structure. I had fortunately saved on the last day of the season so I re-played my league's playoff and when that championship had ended the association playoff showed up on the schedule.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:01 AM   #3
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGiovanni View Post
A similar thing happened to me as I ended my postseason... it turned out I had changed the structure of another member league but had not changed the association playoff structure. I had fortunately saved on the last day of the season so I re-played my league's playoff and when that championship had ended the association playoff showed up on the schedule.
Thanks for responding, gave it a shot but unfortunately resetting the the association playoff structure didn't work. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that my leagues don't have playoffs and just have a regular season.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #4
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

Update, just tested adding playoffs to each of the 3 leagues that comprise one of the associations. Once the playoffs ended, the association playoffs were scheduled.

So I guess my question now is whether or not there's a way to have association playoffs that aren't dependent on each sub-league having playoffs. I tried just individually deleting the playoff games but the association playoffs didn't start after those days passed by.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

I never tried it without league playoffs, so I don't know. Did it work with only one league having a playoff?

If you don't care about the league playoffs I guess you could set them to 1 game only.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Just tested an association where neither sub-league has playoffs, and it worked for me.

In your case where it didn't work, did all your leagues advance to the playoffs in their respective leagues? If one didn't, that would be the reason (basically the association playoffs will start when all the other leagues have crowned a champion). I believe before the last patch there was an issue where if you deleted a tiebreaker game, the league could get stuck in regular season mode, but I thought that was fixed in 20.5.46.

Otherwise, if you have the league that's stuck and not advancing, feel free to send over the files (http://support.ootpdevelopments.com/...p-developments) and we can have a look to see what might be going on. Sometimes can be some weird setup issue that can cause problems.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

I'll send the file over to see if someone can identify the issue.

My setup is two associations - one for the Americas, and one for Europe/Asia. The Americas league has 9 USA leagues and one each representing Canada, South America, and the Caribbean. The Europe/Asia association is made up of 3 leagues, one for Western Europe, one for China, and one for soviet/communist countries (it's set in post-WWII era).

I had initially tried adding a one-game playoff in only the MLB to see if having one would kickstart the association playoffs, but that didn't work. None of the other 11 leagues in the Americas Cup association had enabled playoffs, so I imagine that's why it didn't happen in that scenario.

When I tried adding a one game playoff to each of the 3 Europe/Asian leagues, I got the association playoffs to show up. Oddly, the only regular season tiebreaker situation that arose was in the Western Europe league but that didn't appear to impact anything other than the start of that league's playoffs which was one day later than the others.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Okay, sorry for the delay, but had a look through, and yeah, there seems to be something going on.

It seems to be related to having an "offseason start" event scheduled. If you go in and delete those events from both the American and Russian leagues (which are classified as the "top" leagues), then the playoffs will start. We'll look into the logic as to why that was stopping things.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for the response, I'll go ahead and make that change. Appreciate the help!
Old 08-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

I hate to bring back an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same issue of the Association Playoffs not starting a couple seasons later, and this time, there's nothing on any League Events page that would seem to be the issue.

It's strange because one season ago, everything went smoothly, even with an expansion and a couple added leagues. I expanded once again but suddenly the issue is back again and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Would the most recent patch have caused any possible issue with this?
Old 08-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #11
wildcatrevival
Minors (Single A)

I have been struggling with the same issue. I realized the problem for me was that I had changed one of my leagues to having two sub-leagues but no playoffs. The league was not able to determine a champion when the two top teams had the same record. I had to schedule a playoff for them and the game progressed.
wildcatrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatrevival View Post
I have been struggling with the same issue. I realized the problem for me was that I had changed one of my leagues to having two sub-leagues but no playoffs. The league was not able to determine a champion when the two top teams had the same record. I had to schedule a playoff for them and the game progressed.
Hey wildcatrevival, thanks for the idea. Unfortunately all my leagues are set up to have just one sub-league with playoffs disabled. But your comment does make me wonder if there is an issue related to non-league champions being tied for a playoff berth. For example, my top league is the MLB, and the top 6 from the MLB earn a berth in an association playoffs where they face other qualifiers from North, Central, and South America, and at the end of the regular season, 3 teams are tied for that #6 spot in the MLB. I do have the "Break Ties with tiebreaker games" box checked, but that only seems to affect ties for the #1 spot in a league.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #13
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Feel free to send over your league files - it may be getting caught somewhere else this time. Basically, for association playoffs to start, every league in them needs to be completely done their seasons, so there's probably in one of the leagues that's preventing that from happening.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

Hi Matt, I sent over a ticket request to what I think is the new support system, it has a ticket number of 596. I also uploaded the updated file to the same place I put the previous ones, not sure if that part of the new support system changed or not though.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #15
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

Bringing this up again to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and found a fix. Been pretty busy for the last month with some stuff but I'm looking to pick my league back up and it seems OOTP Support is swamped right now with the change over to the new system. Put a ticket in a month ago and got a response that it was being looked at a few days later, but haven't heard back since so I'm not sure if it's still an active ticket.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #16
silverwolf
Minors (Double A)

My long-running online league is seeing this issue now in our first season on OOTP20.

Reached the end of the regular season, and the game will not schedule association playoffs. Association playoffs are enabled, and no "Offseason Starts" events are showing in any of the three involved leagues.

UPDATE: Ticket #1278 created, USBA-no-association-playoffs.zip uploaded to FTP site

@Matt Arnold, please help?

Last edited by silverwolf; 10-08-2019 at 01:40 PM.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #17
silverwolf
Minors (Double A)

It seems the "workaround" is to have OOTP schedule some playoff in whichever league it regards as the first league in the association, and after that game finishes and records the winner as the league champ, the Association Playoffs are scheduled.

From talking to another commissioner that had this happen in an online league, it's a new problem in OOTP 20, it did not happen in OOTP 19.

If there are any other options, would love to hear them.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #18
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yes, you need to have playoffs enabled in the "top" association league or else it won't start. That will be fixed when we do release the next patch.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #19
NovaNation19
Minors (Double A)

Just to add in my 2 cents for anyone else that encounters this, I found that the only leagues for which I needed to enable playoffs were the first leagues based on alphabetical order, rather than league reputation or any other metric.

Appreciate that a fix is coming in the next patch, @Matt and the rest of the team.