Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
backspace4353
Minors (Single A)

Random Debut

I'll try and ask this question here as on the 19 board no one is replying-- I'm sure it is something I'm doing wrong. I am trying the random debut for the first time. I set up my game as new standard game, I go to history on the game options and check the box for historical rookies, I then set the years as 1975 to 2005. I have played 4 years and all 4 drafts have no one I recognize from those years. So I set up another thinking it was a bug. And I'm getting draft classes that have no players from the 75-2005 years. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

As of know I have ootp 20 and it is the same, no past players show up in the draft.
backspace4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

If you are wanting to use the standard game to setup your game I can't help you. Not saying there isn't a way to do what you want that way, but I don't know how.

Random debut is part of the historical game and therefore it's part of the historical game setup wizard.

So, select historical game from the creation wizard
The you select a historical year to use as your start year.
Select random debut from the menu.
Select the years you want minimum and maximu(I personally avoid pre 1901 players, but that's just me)
From this point on you can follow the wizard. If you want to altar your league in terms of teams/nicknames/cities etc. make sure you uncheck the box for historical expansion.

I would use 3 or 5 year recalc if you use recalc. If you use recalc, keep development on as well. The two work great together.

It's up to you, but when playing random there isn't a huge need for minor leagues. Players in your inaugural draft will be random ages, while all amateur drafts will feature players entering during their MLB debut year. I use reserve rosters and small drafts in the 4-7 round range.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
backspace4353
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
If you are wanting to use the standard game to setup your game I can't help you. Not saying there isn't a way to do what you want that way, but I don't know how.

Random debut is part of the historical game and therefore it's part of the historical game setup wizard.

Select the years you want minimum and maximu(I personally avoid pre 1901 players, but that's just me)
From this point on you can follow the wizard. If you want to altar your league in terms of teams/nicknames/cities etc. make sure you uncheck the box for historical expansion.

I would use 3 or 5 year recalc if you use recalc. If you use recalc, keep development on as well. The two work great together.

It's up to you, but when playing random there isn't a huge need for minor leagues. Players in your inaugural draft will be random ages, while all amateur drafts will feature players entering during their MLB debut year. I use reserve rosters and small drafts in the 4-7 round range.
That must be the problem. I just wonder why they have an option to use historical rookies in the options for a standard game?
backspace4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
acfinn
Bat Boy

Quote:

With recalc off does that mean a player’s career arc won’t be similar to their real life one? I am wanting to have a world where for instance Bo Jackson or Dale Murphy have long HoF type careers.
acfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:58 PM   #5
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

I get JD Drew,Kevin Walker and so on to show up in Draft every 2019 one.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfinn View Post
With recalc off does that mean a player’s career arc won’t be similar to their real life one? I am wanting to have a world where for instance Bo Jackson or Dale Murphy have long HoF type careers.
With recalc off, you will be using strictly the OOTP development engine. This will definitely give you the chance that Jackson or Murphy have longer careers, but keep in mind, the development engine can be cruel and they may flame out. Going no recalc is a fun way to play as well. I would probably use base potentials on peak seasons or remaining peak seasons. Also make sure you base defense and pitcher stamina(or is it pitching roles) on entire career. If you don't use entire career, you may see a Nolan Ryan or Curt Schilling come in at a young age and stay a relief pitcher their entire career. Or in the case of Murphy, he may want to stay a catcher if he were to import as a rookie. With entire career selected, he will have his entire position range available.

Keep in mind, 3 or 5 year recalc combined with the development engine will also give guys like Murphy and Jackson a shot to extend their careers. . But, I do admit recalc is a lot less forgiving. one year recalc is the harshest in terms of crushing guys in a mist of reality, but it's not recommended for use with random debut. The main reason you want to leave development on if using recalc is, you don't want guys like Koufax pitching into their mid 50's with ratings based on that same stellar 27-9, 1.73 final season year after year after year. The development engine also is great for the players of today. The game will use recalc on a guy like Mookie Betts doesn't have a ton of years to recalc, so the once they are up the development engine will take over.

Last edited by David Watts; 03-28-2019 at 10:09 AM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:

You have convinced me, does not take a whole lot of arm twisting, down the rabbit hole we go again! Thank you for the setup and advice.
I may be asking more questions, if I become PITA just let me know, I like having at least one level of minors AAA although not affiliated at times.

Last edited by JaBurns; 03-29-2019 at 12:01 PM.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote