Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
GeneralCornRowWallace
Minors (Single A)

Thumbs up Enhancements That Aren't Getting Enough Credit

I am a long time player, I've been around since OOTP 3 or 4, I pre-order every year and spend a lot of time reading these forums but don't post too often.

With all the comments from those "disappointed" in this year's iteration I have to chime in and say there are some features and enhancements that are being absolutely overlooked.

1. New Shop A Player Feature
It is AWESOME to now have the ability to specify if you want prospects, regulars, or veterans in return for the player you are shopping. It is also AWESOME to have the ability to shop 2 players as a package at the same time. This is a big deal and makes trading and team building much, much more fun.

2. Improved Trade Logic
As someone to usually takes the worst team in MLB on a given year and starts out trying to rebuild them I can tell you I see tremendous improvements in the trade logic this year. The ability to totally rip off the AI is gone, for the most part all the trades I have made after a few years or simming are "give up value to get value" type trades. In trading I also find that the AI generally aligns their willingness to trade given players to their status (ex., rebuilding or win now). These improvements are very clear in OOTP 20.

3. Live Updates
I think one of the biggest and most fun enhancements is one we are just scratching the surface of considering we are just now at opening day. Live updates, getting up to date rosters, stats, etc. is going to be more fun that it is getting credit for. I love the idea of starting a new season the day before this year's MLB draft, or taking over a team the day before the playoffs start. That is so exciting, I am looking forward to trying that out when the time is right.

All told I think this year's version of OOTP is packed with new features and enhancements. Did they change the engine dramatically or the interface? No, and why should they? I have seen so many games, apps, etc. change things like that when they didn't have to which resulted in the user experience taking a step back.

Did they launch a huge new element to the game, like a ballpark creator, no, they did not. But I don't expect that year in and year out.

At the end of the day the game is ONLY $40 and is worth MUCH MORE than that in my opinion, nothing out there in terms of baseball sims comes close.

The under the hood enhancements and improved features of this year's game are excellent and the team deserves a ton of credit.

Anyone interested in purchasing this game should do it without hesitation, whether you are a new player or someone who is still playing an older version.

I get concerned with all the naysayers and trolls who want to stir the pot (those with legit, constructive feedback should continue to provide it, of course). This is a small business turning out a great product, go Troll somewhere else and let this community focus on fostering a deeper understanding and enjoyment of this amazing game.

Kudos to Markus and the team for hitting it "Out of the Park" with OOTP20!
GeneralCornRowWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The injured list being added to historical transactions/real lineups has hardly even been mentioned as a new feature. This is huge addition.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
The injured list being added to historical transactions/real lineups has hardly even been mentioned as a new feature. This is huge addition.
TBH I wasn't happy when I realized that it messed my first simulation in 1895 by creating injury that never healed. I had to restart everything which is a lot of works since I move all the teams and simulate everything as it was (I also add the PL in 1890, but not the UA in 1884 because something doesn't work).

Finally found the problem, you can't have injury checked during the 19th century even if they aren't included in the database... now that I know, I'm happy since I won't work for nothing again. But I don't like that the players play all the games even with the player fatigue set to very high.

The complete set (1871 to 1959)

Just the update (1950 to 1959)
AESP_pres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Well technically, the injured list isn't a historical feature.
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

The "shop a player" features you mentioned were in last years version. Not saying this to claim any disappointment with this year's release, just noting it for accuracy.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
The "shop a player" features you mentioned were in last years version. Not saying this to claim any disappointment with this year's release, just noting it for accuracy.

You could shop 2 players as a package last year???

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
You could shop 2 players as a package last year???

Yes, but it was added in a patch. It was not included in 19 at the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote