Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Some noob questions

Hi there. I'm a Londoner with massive love for baseball, and as a long time FM player decided I'd give OOTP a go.
As my FM years have taught me, a lot of this stuff I will learn as I go, but right now I have a couple of questions:

1) I want to remove a player from the active (25 man) roster but keep him in the 40 man roster. I don't seem able to do this? Am I missing something?

2) What areas of the game can/should I be farming out to my staff to handle so I can get to grips with it. Or should I try and handle it all and learn as I go?

Thanks in advance
LondonYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Flatbush
Bat Boy

Greetings London Yankee. I'd love to see London someday. Regarding question 1, from what I've read, I think you have to reassign your guy to the minors. But watch out, in case this exposes him to "waivers," in which case you could lose him.

If he's hurt and you have no room on the DL, you may consider assigning somebody else to the minors to make room for your guy.

On your second question, I am way too green to suggest an answer, so I too will be reading what others say on that. (Cheers!)
Flatbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbush View Post
Greetings London Yankee. I'd love to see London someday. Regarding question 1, from what I've read, I think you have to reassign your guy to the minors. But watch out, in case this exposes him to "waivers," in which case you could lose him.

If he's hurt and you have no room on the DL, you may consider assigning somebody else to the minors to make room for your guy.

On your second question, I am way too green to suggest an answer, so I too will be reading what others say on that. (Cheers!)
Thanks for that. London's a great city. Although we're about to lose ESPN so watching baseball is about to get difficult. Anyway, moving on.
I ended up having to expose him to waivers but not really that bothered about the guy in this case. In future it could be a problem but I'm sure I'll figure it all out.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonYankee View Post
Hi there. I'm a Londoner with massive love for baseball, and as a long time FM player decided I'd give OOTP a go.
As my FM years have taught me, a lot of this stuff I will learn as I go, but right now I have a couple of questions:

1) I want to remove a player from the active (25 man) roster but keep him in the 40 man roster. I don't seem able to do this? Am I missing something?

2) What areas of the game can/should I be farming out to my staff to handle so I can get to grips with it. Or should I try and handle it all and learn as I go?

Thanks in advance
Some players with enough major league service time are able to refuse assignment to the minors. Some players may be out of minor league option years. Follow those links for more information. Read about the entire topic of Roster Rules and Management.

Regarding delegation, definitely let the AI manage your minor leagues. Go to your Manager Menu, Manager Options, Team Control Settings, and set Minor League Promotions/Demotions and Minor League Lineups/Depth/Pitching to your Minor League Managers (i.e., the A.I.). You may want to keep direct control over Minor League Signings/Releases, however.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 07-01-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
mgoetze
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
As already pointed out, this is only a problem if the player has the right to refuse assignment or is out of option years. Personally, if a player is out of option years but not good enough to stay on my 25-man I will try to trade them away, and if noone offers anything usable in exchange I will just put them on waivers.

Quote:
Personally I played a season as a minor league manager before going for the full major league GM experience and thought it was a good introduction to the interface etc. When I started as a GM I had the AI managing my minors, which it was not completely horrible at, but I eventually decided that I could do it better myself. But it's certainly something you can let the AI handle at first so as not to be overwhelmed.

Furthermore, I currently let the AI handle batting, pitching and baserunning decisions, doing only substitutions myself, but I think that is more a matter of figuring out which style of play is most enjoyable for yourself.

Quote:
Thanks for that. London's a great city.
Too many cameras if you ask me.

Quote:
Although we're about to lose ESPN so watching baseball is about to get difficult.
Watch Live Baseball Online, Stream MLB Games with MLB.TV | MLB.com: Subscriptions
mgoetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoetze View Post

Personally I played a season as a minor league manager before going for the full major league GM experience and thought it was a good introduction to the interface etc. When I started as a GM I had the AI managing my minors, which it was not completely horrible at, but I eventually decided that I could do it better myself. But it's certainly something you can let the AI handle at first so as not to be overwhelmed.

Furthermore, I currently let the AI handle batting, pitching and baserunning decisions, doing only substitutions myself, but I think that is more a matter of figuring out which style of play is most enjoyable for yourself.

Too many cameras if you ask me.

Watch Live Baseball Online, Stream MLB Games with MLB.TV | MLB.com: Subscriptions
Minor leagues eh? I've read that there some issues with Minor League management, making it a frustrating experience, is that exaggeration?

As for London's camera's yeah it is a CCTV nation.
MLB.TV looks a good idea, not sure how my fiancée will handle the idea though. At least with the ESPN subscription I can just say it's part of my Sky bundle.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for the help so far. I have more questions.
1) if I get fired, which is looking likely coming to end of June in 4th place at .460 with the Yankees, how easy/how long will it take to get another job
2) on the 'league' screen it now has a 'manual all star vote' option. Does this mean I can choose the all stars? If I don't will the computer pick and pick sensibly?
3) I traded for a catcher (Hanigan) early in the season and he did ok but has hit a slump. He's now listed as 'angry' he's 'very angry' with his performance - so am I - but he's also 'angry' with transactions. I can't figure why that would be? Sure I drafted a catcher but he's years away from being ready. Any ideas what his beef may be?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Answers
Quote:
Thanks for the help so far. I have more questions.
1) if I get fired, which is looking likely coming to end of June in 4th place at .460 with the Yankees, how easy/how long will it take to get another job
Depends upon your experience. A "greenhorn" may have to accept minor league jobs for a while.
2) on the 'league' screen it now has a 'manual all star vote' option. Does this mean I can choose the all stars? If I don't will the computer pick and pick sensibly?
Yes and yes.
3) I traded for a catcher (Hanigan) early in the season and he did ok but has hit a slump. He's now listed as 'angry' he's 'very angry' with his performance - so am I - but he's also 'angry' with transactions. I can't figure why that would be? Sure I drafted a catcher but he's years away from being ready. Any ideas what his beef may be?
From the manual:
How the player feels about the transactions the team has made, most notably signings, released players, and trades. Signing high profile players can boost morale, as can making a good trade. Treating players poorly, such as cutting them in the middle of a contract, can hurt morale. Player popularity also has a big effect here. Things aren't always black and white, though. If you sign a high-profile second baseman, the other second basemen on your team might not be too happy about their own future prospects. Team Transaction morale is also affected by transactions affecting the current player. For example, if you promote or demote a player, sign or release a player, or change a player's trade status or shop them, this affects their Team Transactions morale.

Thanks

- Bru

Old 07-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Answers
With regards to the transactions, I'm not sure what he's got moody about. I've not had much activity on that front the last few weeks, unless extending contracts would be a part of that? Though I can't see how he'd be upset that I'd just extended Cano's contract, he's the only guy keeping the team afloat right now! I'm sure it'll pass or I'll figure it out!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
With regards to the transactions, I'm not sure what he's got moody about. I've not had much activity on that front the last few weeks, unless extending contracts would be a part of that? Though I can't see how he'd be upset that I'd just extended Cano's contract, he's the only guy keeping the team afloat right now! I'm sure it'll pass or I'll figure it out!
If not, ask yourself what George Steinbrenner would do.

- Bru

Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
DaBears
Major Leagues

LY, you definitely want to get MLB tv. It is great. I travel two-thirds of the year internationally and have it, so it does work ex-US (unlike the awful NBA subscription). It is $20 a month plus another $3 I think for the iPad app, but that's basically less than $150 a year and you get to listen to Vin Scully anytime and anywhere.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
If not, ask yourself what George Steinbrenner would do.
Throw some money at the problem?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Throw some money at the problem?
No, throw the bum out! (Demote and/or trade.)

- Bru

Old 07-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

And now for today's question. Looking around the forums I see people talking about ML expansion. Does this happen naturally in game or is that something that is edited in?
I've also noticed people posting about 'story lines' are these random or triggered by certain actions?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
And now for today's question. Looking around the forums I see people talking about ML expansion. Does this happen naturally in game or is that something that is edited in?
I've also noticed people posting about 'story lines' are these random or triggered by certain actions?
I answered your question about expansion in Apline's dynasty thread. As for the Storylines, those can be turned off in options (Game --> Setup and Options --> Misc. Option). Personally, I have them off, but you should fool around with them to see how you feel. I reccomend reading the manual if you have any more questions
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
I answered your question about expansion in Apline's dynasty thread. As for the Storylines, those can be turned off in options (Game --> Setup and Options --> Misc. Option). Personally, I have them off, but you should fool around with them to see how you feel. I reccomend reading the manual if you have any more questions
Thanks for your help. I've been going through the manual. Guess I need to dig deeper. I'm not used to game manuals being useful.

Edit: and of course the storyline pages of the manual don't have any content.

Last edited by LondonYankee; 07-04-2013 at 03:28 PM.