Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Another top prep goes overseas instead of college

This one is significant because he had a choice. He could have gone the college route because his grades are solid and there are no eligibility problems.

I hope the trend continues. The current college model is outdated and no longer fully prepares preps for potential pro careers. If more top players follow, it is going to force the NCAA to change with the times or get left behind. I'm sure the NBA would rather scout players in the USA instead of New Zealand. And it might push the NBA to create a larger minor league system.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

I like it because one and done is a stupid f*cking rule that should have been challenged and shot down in the courts long ago. Also, he was favored to go to Kansas so this whiff for the Jayhawks may mean that even 3rd place in the Big 12 could be a challenge in 2020.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I like it because one and done is a stupid f*cking rule that should have been challenged and shot down in the courts long ago. Also, he was favored to go to Kansas so this whiff for the Jayhawks may mean that even 3rd place in the Big 12 could be a challenge in 2020.
Not sure that a challenge would have worked. This was a collectively bargained rule between the NBA and the Players Union and unions generally can have limits on who is admitted. I agree that it is a bad rule. I wouldn't kind something like baseball has, where you can go straight to the pros from high school, but if you go to college, you have to wait three years to be eligible for the draft.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
We will see 18 year olds be able to join the NBA again by 2022 I predict.
Some front offices are already doing there best to protect 2021 and 2022 draft picks even more since that could be a year of a 'double talent' draft where you have the best 19 year olds and best 18 year olds as well as the other college and foreign players able to declare in the same draft.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
We will see 18 year olds be able to join the NBA again by 2022 I predict.
Some front offices are already doing there best to protect 2021 and 2022 draft picks even more since that could be a year of a 'double talent' draft where you have the best 19 year olds and best 18 year olds as well as the other college and foreign players able to declare in the same draft.
I would hope so. Having all the great college players be one and done doesn't help anyone. Players (in any sport) should be draft eligible when they turn 18. If they don't get drafted, then they should be able to commit to a college or go overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrf View Post
Time is like a crystal pool in front of a mirror, wrapped in a fortune cookie. It is to be eaten, but the glass shards will burn brightest when coming out the back end.
mirrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrf View Post
I would hope so. Having all the great college players be one and done doesn't help anyone. Players (in any sport) should be draft eligible when they turn 18. If they don't get drafted, then they should be able to commit to a college or go overseas.
I have been of the opinion that the NBA and NBAPA should set up a fund to pool together money for players who 'soft declare'
i.e. those those who want to try and be drafted but are not 100% sure if they are ready or if they will be drafted at all.

The money would be used to hire third party agents with no connections to the league or teams.
The agents would not be able to give them anything like a suit or 'loan' jewelry etc.
They can pay for the players travel and a meal and hotel and that is about it.
They would mostly be there to offer advice and be a go between for the players and teams to arrange workouts, interviews, combines etc.

If the player decided to go back to college the NCAA would not hold it against them since they never formally hire nor paid for an agent. They were assigned one.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have been of the opinion that the NBA and NBAPA should set up a fund to pool together money for players who 'soft declare'
i.e. those those who want to try and be drafted but are not 100% sure if they are ready or if they will be drafted at all.

The money would be used to hire third party agents with no connections to the league or teams.
The agents would not be able to give them anything like a suit or 'loan' jewelry etc.
They would mostly be there to offer advice and be a go between for the players and teams to arrange workouts, interviews, combines etc.

If the player decided to go back to college the NCAA would not hold it against them since they never formally hire nor paid for an agent. They were assigned one.
The problem isn't the NBA's. The problem is the NCAA. NBAPA shouldn't feel any obligation to help future employees take away their jobs. And the NBA isn't responsible for players declaring for the draft or hiring an agent becoming ineligible. The ball is firmly in the NCAA's court. Why can a baseball player have an agent, get drafted and then choose to go to college? Cause the NCAA allows it. The whole fiasco exists because the NCAA created it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
The problem isn't the NBA's. The problem is the NCAA. NBAPA shouldn't feel any obligation to help future employees take away their jobs. And the NBA isn't responsible for players declaring for the draft or hiring an agent becoming ineligible. The ball is firmly in the NCAA's court. Why can a baseball player have an agent, get drafted and then choose to go to college? Cause the NCAA allows it. The whole fiasco exists because the NCAA created it.

I did not know baseball prospects could hire an agent.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did not know baseball prospects could hire an agent.
Somebody has to be negotiating those contracts when they r trying to decide to take a scholarship or go back for their senior year.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

They may not do "agent" things, like negotiate contracts

Quote:
While the NCAA refuses to define what an advisor can do, the NCAA clearly defines what an advisor may not do on behalf of any draft prospect. According the NCAA’s own memorandum dated January 1, 2015 “an advisor will be considered an agent if they contact teams on your behalf to arrange private workouts or tryouts” or if the advisor is “present during the discussions of a contract offer with a professional team”, advisors also are not allowed to “have any direct contact with the professional sports team on your behalf”. The NCAA also states that the advisor must be compensated by the draft prospect for any work completed by the advisor on behalf of the prospect.

https://collegead.com/hire-agent-not...ege-mlb-draft/

Quote:
Since baseball draft prospects do not have to declare for the draft, they do not forfeit any NCAA eligibility, so long as they follow rules that have been set by the NCAA. Prospects are permitted to receive input from what some have dubbed as an advisor, but not an agent. The only problem with that is the NCAA does not define what an advisor is. As is often the case with the NCAA and its rule book, there are plenty of “grey” areas regarding advisors. With the NCAA not defining what exactly an advisor is or is not, many institutions have had to come up with their own definitions in order to educate student-athletes.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

one and done era set to end 2022 when emoni bates/bronny jr are eligble. curious to see how they pan out

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #12
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
They may not do "agent" things, like negotiate contracts

https://collegead.com/hire-agent-not...ege-mlb-draft/
So basically, baseball players are allowed an agent. Scuse me, an "advisor". Semantics.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-31-2019, 08:54 PM   #13
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:

Does this not exist already? Mamadi Diakite of UVA declared for the draft, went through tryouts with the Spurs and Warriors and now is returning to UVA. There was agent advice, but it is not mentioned in this article.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 AM   #14
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Does this not exist already? Mamadi Diakite of UVA declared for the draft, went through tryouts with the Spurs and Warriors and now is returning to UVA. There was agent advice, but it is not mentioned in this article.
Not to my knowledge. AFAIK the NCAA considers 'anything of value' to be grounds to have your amateurism status revoked.

The Spurs and Warriors may have invited him for a workout by contacting him directly or contacting UVA directly.
I am not sure if they can pay for his flight and hotel or even have a sit down and pay for his meal without the NCAA declaring him ineligible.

Also looking into that player, it looks like his family is upper middle class. They may of paid for it out of pocket.

And the early declaration is a fairly recent development.
It used to be that if you declared at all you had to never play NCAA basketball again or appeal and have to redshirt a year.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 06-01-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:49 AM   #15
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

RJ Hampton, the #6 rated recruit in the 2019 class, scorned offers from Texas Tech, Kansas, and Memphis to sign a contract with the New Zealand Breakers who play in the Australian pro league.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #16
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

College & hs players can now have an agent between seasons. That's a change w/in the last 2 seasons. The agreement must be in writing and terminated once they declare to go or go back to college. So I'm wrong on that point. But baseball players can still get drafted, twice, and not lose eligibility.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 06-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
Reed
All Star Starter

It is my understanding that college baseball players CAN NOT be drafted until they complete their Junior year. High School players CAN be drafted if they have not enrolled in a 4 year college.
It is all screwy.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #18
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Pertaining to Draft have same rule as NHL MLB and NBA,WNBA where you can Draft a College guy but when 4 years is up and haven't signed has to reenter Draft.

Also with MLB Draft tomorrow changes I would like to see first at neutral site or evan different one each year not 42 Studio's part MLB Network home so ESPN can be at it to calling it live. Second GM's on the Floor talking Trades and Teams coming up to annouce pick. Third Insiders like Ken Rosenthal or Jeff Passan saying Mariners/Phillies talking Jay Bruce for Cash,Prospect and maybe Phillies second round pick.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #19
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Not to my knowledge. AFAIK the NCAA considers 'anything of value' to be grounds to have your amateurism status revoked.

The Spurs and Warriors may have invited him for a workout by contacting him directly or contacting UVA directly.
I am not sure if they can pay for his flight and hotel or even have a sit down and pay for his meal without the NCAA declaring him ineligible.

Also looking into that player, it looks like his family is upper middle class. They may of paid for it out of pocket.

And the early declaration is a fairly recent development.
It used to be that if you declared at all you had to never play NCAA basketball again or appeal and have to redshirt a year.
Yes, early declaration and revocation is new. I would think you would enjoy using Google to learn more about it, however obviously not. This is NCAA authorized and run. It is a program that allows players to explore going pro and then come back.

Several other players from the Richmond area also used this to test the waters and then return to school. A player from William & Mary comes to mind. It also does not apply to Div II kids, which also caused a kid to lose his eligibility.

Your observations no longer apply to modern college basketball.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #20
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Yes, early declaration and revocation is new. I would think you would enjoy using Google to learn more about it, however obviously not. This is NCAA authorized and run. It is a program that allows players to explore going pro and then come back.

Several other players from the Richmond area also used this to test the waters and then return to school. A player from William & Mary comes to mind. It also does not apply to Div II kids, which also caused a kid to lose his eligibility.

Your observations no longer apply to modern college basketball.
The other thing I like about the ability to declare and then return to school is that the NBA provides a service that will let the kids know a realistic expectation of their draft status and what in their game needs to be improved if they go back to school for another year. While there are always going to be bad decision and bad actions in any organization, the NBA and the NBAPA have a working relationship that is better than any other major professional sport and also seems to actually trying to do the best for players and prospective players.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote