Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Eye candy for Rangers fans & Gallo admirers

So I wanted to start a new save after installing the latest patch. I'm a Red Sox fan but I was looking for a team that I'd need to rebuild. I'd just done a save using a NL team so I wanted to go with the AL this time. I wasn't very scientific about it. I looked up the final standings for last year. Saw the Orioles and knew that they were quite a chore to rebuild. Decided I wasn't ready for that project yet so looked further down and saw that the Rangers had struggled last year. I also then thought I remembered hearing that they were currently in rebuild mode. So the Rangers it was!

Quick context so you know how to interpret what I show you. I start with a standard MLB start. Use all the minors but none of the international leagues. I always use the "high" setting for injuries. I change the global lineup strategy setting to "sabremetric". I set the trading AI to "hard" difficulty setting and I change the AI eval numbers so its 60% ratings and 25% current numbers. Everything else stays at default as far as I can remember right now. I sim a week at a time with pauses for injuries, trade offers, etc. Don't normally post sim updates but just thought that after a thirty game start like this, some of you might want to see it. And if you are intrigued by Joey Gallo then you'll love this. Notice how immune he is to BABIP
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Dyzalot; 04-05-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
Cod
All Star Reserve

He's averaging over one homer every two games. Wow! I would say seems plausible and realistic...until I see the .292 batting average.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Yeah the whole offense is playing above their heads. DeShields has been such an effective leadoff hitter so far that he's on pace for over 100 SB. My strategy slider for stealing is set right in the middle so I'm not even having him attempt to steal more than the "typical" manager might.

The numbers that shocked me was how low Gallo's BABIP is compared to how high his OPS is for a 30 game stretch. I mean when was the last time you saw a guy's OPS+ produce a higher number than their BABIP?

Last edited by Dyzalot; 04-05-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Here's a trading deadline update on Gallo.
Attached Images
Old 04-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

Wondering if the opposing AI shifts against him as much as is currently being done? Would this even matter in OOTP?

I've watched the Rangers play 6 games and he's always looking at an infield shift that has 1 in the middle the other 3 on the right side. When he gets to 2 strikes, or a favorable late count (2-0, 3-0, 3-1) the IF shifts become extreme (super extreme?) with all 4 well to the right of 2B. OF is pretty much always a deep, shift right, though usually not to the IF extremes.

Just wondering.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle View Post
Wondering if the opposing AI shifts against him as much as is currently being done? Would this even matter in OOTP?

I've watched the Rangers play 6 games and he's always looking at an infield shift that has 1 in the middle the other 3 on the right side. When he gets to 2 strikes, or a favorable late count (2-0, 3-0, 3-1) the IF shifts become extreme (super extreme?) with all 4 well to the right of 2B. OF is pretty much always a deep, shift right, though usually not to the IF extremes.

Just wondering.
Pretty sure that in my save I'm seeing the AI use extreme shifts quite often. His BABIP was really low. It has come up now though even as his performance has fallen off of a cliff. He basically provided the team no value in August.
Attached Images
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

And here are his final totals for the year. As you can see, he didn't fare so well in August or September. The team itself lost the last six games of the season to finish two games out of the wild card.
Attached Images
Old 04-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
And here are his final totals for the year. As you can see, he didn't fare so well in August or September. The team itself lost the last six games of the season to finish two games out of the wild card.

What was Gallo's final BABIP? He's a very low BABIP guy IRL, with a career .254 BABIP through the Rangers' last game played this year. League average BABIP is .300ish. RL career slash line: .204/.320/.502/.822, 110 OPS+, 111 wRC+. Surprisingly fWAR rates him as an above average baserunner. I say surprisingly because to look at him I wouldn't think that. He's huge, but he's very athletic, so that may be the reason for it.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
What was Gallo's final BABIP? He's a very low BABIP guy IRL, with a career .254 BABIP through the Rangers' last game played this year. League average BABIP is .300ish. RL career slash line: .204/.320/.502/.822, 110 OPS+, 111 wRC+. Surprisingly fWAR rates him as an above average baserunner. I say surprisingly because to look at him I wouldn't think that. He's huge, but he's very athletic, so that may be the reason for it.
He ended the season at .252. Currently in the following season we are getting close to the trading deadline and he's at .209 for a BABIP but carrying a 223/390/596 slash.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
GoPedro99
All Star Reserve

Had a 2019 save that had a similar player. In like 2025 or something Cody bellinger started off hot like that. Had 75 HR by the start of August. Finished with 88 which is impressive. But that’s nowhere near the pace he started on and carried deep into the season
GoPedro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Here's how he finished 2020 in my save. He ended the season with a .209 BABIP.
Attached Images