Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Potential Exploit

What is to stop a person from creating a bunch of extra PT accounts using burner email addresses then using the free packs/PP they get with those accounts to help their main team?

For example, I could create a dozen burner PT accounts using a dozen temporary email addresses. Those accounts would give me access to 6x12=72 free regular packs plus an extra 12 packs assuming I used my free 1,000 PP to buy an extra pack for each account. After opening those packs, I could post any good cards for auction with the minimal possible "buy now" price (1,000 PP for a gold card, I think?) then immediately switch to my main PT account and buy that card.

This wouldn't be very time consuming and doing it during off-peak hours would mostly ensure that someone else wouldn't scoop up the card before I could switch accounts. This wouldn't be a huge deal for, say an 80 OVR card that might not sell for much more than 1,000 PP at auction anyways (based on the prices I've seen lately) but could be a big deal for an 89 OVR card that might normally sell for quite a bit. Same for silver cards. I've been able to sell several 75+ relievers for 750 PP+ but could, conceivably transfer those types of cards from a burner account to my main account for 100 PP each. I'm not sure what the minimum auction price for diamond/perfect cards is but I'm sure this could be an issue there as well.

Is there a way to prevent this? Track IP addresses on new account requests? Limit the number of PT/Challenge accounts that can be associated with each copy of a game, etc.?

Last edited by ASURay; 11-27-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
BoofBonser26
Major Leagues

Yes, only 3 accounts are allowed per licensed copy of OOTP, and the devs are monitoring for this sort of activity and will act to shut it down as/if needed.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
<Pion>
All Star Starter

The OOTP team used the beta time to learn of this very type of exploit and has put things in place to detect them. Expulsion from PT is the death penalty that can be received from doing so. Hopefully that will be enough to either prevent people for trying, or catch those who insist on trying.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoofBonser26 View Post
Yes, only 3 accounts are allowed per licensed copy of OOTP, and the devs are monitoring for this sort of activity and will act to shut it down as/if needed.
Good to know. I thought of that today and figured someone with more time and worse intentions than I has to have also thought of it as well.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoofBonser26 View Post
Don't know what would stop someone from buying multiple copies of the game over multiple platforms (Steam, Web, Origin). Though if they're going to spend that much money, it would seem easier and less risky to just spend it on PP.

I would think anything short of also monitoring IP addresses, locations, or something similar would still leave loopholes unless in addition they are specifically looking for strange transactions between seemingly disparate teams.

Last edited by <Pion>; 11-27-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
The OOTP team used the beta time to learn of this very type of exploit and has put things in place to detect them. Expulsion from PT is the death penalty that can be received from doing so. Hopefully that will be enough to either prevent people for trying, or catch those who insist on trying.
Good to know someone is on it. I tested it today before posting lest it didn't work and wasn't an issue but didn't go through the trouble of creating more than one burner account. Congrats to whoever got an 83 OVR Wilson Ramos card for 1,004 PP an hour before the beta period ended today
Old 11-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Don't know what would stop someone from buying multiple copies of the game over multiple platforms (Steam, Web, Origin). Though if they're going to spend that much money, it would seem easier and less risky to just spend it on PP.
If someone is willing to go to that extreme, then they can have the championship as far as I'm concerned.

It would mean that winning at PT is a heck of a lot more important to them than it is to me.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

I would think anything short of also monitoring IP addresses, locations, or something similar would still leave loopholes unless in addition they are specifically looking for strange transactions between seemingly disparate teams.
Exactly. The marginal benefit of an exploit like this isn't that great. I paid like 2,500 PP for an 89 OVR Patrick Corbin card that I could've gotten for 1,000 PP using this method. At only a 1,500 PP savings, it would make more sense to just buy PP rather than buying more copies of the game.

Last edited by ASURay; 11-27-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
Janks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASURay View Post
Good to know someone is on it. I tested it today before posting lest it didn't work and wasn't an issue but didn't go through the trouble of creating more than one burner account. Congrats to whoever got an 83 OVR Wilson Ramos card for 1,004 PP an hour before the beta period ended today

I was opening as many packs as I could this morning and running 15 minute auctions to get more PP to open more packs. I got to see a few oldtimer cards that I hadn't seen before.

Last night I sold my two diamonds to do the same thing.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
I was opening as many packs as I could this morning and running 15 minute auctions to get more PP to open more packs. I got to see a few oldtimer cards that I hadn't seen before.

I had suggested a card database feature so that we can see what cards are available, look at their ratings/stats, and see their auction stats even if we don't own the card. Never got a response from devs, though.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one
Old 11-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
Janks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Glad to see I wasn't the only one

It sounds like I was having a divorce sale. I sold my two diamonds, all my silver and some gold.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #13
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
It sounds like I was having a divorce sale. I sold my two diamonds, all my silver and some gold.
Yeah, I had to test some card opening, so sold everything gold+ on one of my teams. Was sad to dump them all, even knowing that I was losing the team shortly thereafter.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
Janks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, I had to test some card opening, so sold everything gold+ on one of my teams. Was sad to dump them all, even knowing that I was losing the team shortly thereafter.

On the contrary for me. I "dumped' my Paul Goldschmidt and Aaron Judge before they were taken away from me.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
stan-theman
Minors (Double A)

Wilson Ramos 83!!!

If Wilson Ramos is a 83 then Johnny Bench must be a 200!!
Old 11-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #16
Matty86
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASURay View Post
I had suggested a card database feature so that we can see what cards are available, look at their ratings/stats, and see their auction stats even if we don't own the card. Never got a response from devs, though.
The fact that it seems like they won't give a list of every card in the game is the only negative I've found with PT. It's a bit annoying to be honest.. lol
Old 11-28-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty86 View Post
The fact that it seems like they won't give a list of every card in the game is the only negative I've found with PT. It's a bit annoying to be honest.. lol
Can we just create a wiki for the game to put some of this stuff on there if the devs don't/can't/whatever release all that info? Stuff like achievements, cards, etc.

https://gaming.fandom.com/wiki/Out_of_the_Park_Baseball
Old 11-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #18
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I seem to have a very different mindset from most other players. I am a collector, but I honestly do not mind not knowing what specific cards are available. I already have spreadsheets primed to help me track who I have, and part of the appeal of collecting for me is the hunt and the sleuthing required to catch them all.

In my opinion, knowing every available card would be far more useful to those attempting to min/max their team.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:57 AM   #19
mikezone13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty86 View Post
There has been some chatter about numbering each card (say 0001 to 9999) and then letting people tick off cards based on numbers. This doesn't tell you which card is what number but does help with collectors.

The problem of course would be collecting a huge amount of cards and have so many of them inactive given the active and reserve roster limits of around 200 players in total.

AFBL New Jersey Athletics
FOD Boston Shamrocks
GLBL Milwaukee Eagles
HRBL Toronto Stags
PBF Commish only
ABL (old SBC) Commish only

Old 11-28-2018, 04:14 AM   #20
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=295852
Closed Thread