Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #61
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I have a very good Perfect Level team that has some money invested. But...

With a whole year you could get to Perfect Level and compete without ever spending a dime. I have 2 getting good FTP teams in Diamond Level. Every week I sweat them getting promoted before I am ready because they make the playoffs in Diamond. They are this far in a couple months. Worrying about what other teams spend is self defeating. But do what you want, just have fun.

This +1.

Seriously I've learned that the whole "I can't compete with money spenders" is overblown. Yes, you will run into teams in the lower leagues that the GM is willing to spend real money on quickly to advance, and yes, often they win the divisions and sometimes the WS because of it.

I've seen equal examples of lesser teams beating those teams in the playoffs. And even if not, those teams seem to advance out of the way. There is a TON of teams at each level because there's SO many leagues. It's not like 2 out of every 5 players are spending exorbitant amounts of money on the game to add players. And even if they buy 1 or 2 players, it doesn't guarantee anything. There are players at perfect level with very few diamond or higher cards. There's a team of mostly silvers that has kicked butt against the big spenders.
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #62
zrog2000
All Star Starter

The amount of money spent is not nearly as important as the last 5 AH value for the overall team. A team worth a million points is way more likely to beat a team worth 100,000 than vice versa.

I totally get why some people want to see who can win with an absolutely level playing field, but I also get that it's possible for the cheaper team to win anyway, albeit at much, much lower than even odds.

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #63
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

I didn't start PT with the idea of spending much money. I bought 12,000 pps up front to get a bit of a head start, then I got lucky and pulled both Trout and Bench my first "season". I then went on to spend a total of $61 on the team.

Net result?

495 wins - 212 losses, .700 winning percentage, and 3 years in Bronze, 1 year in Silver, currently in Gold. VERY good, but...

I've won only 1 World Series and lost twice to Wild Card Teams.

Money will advance you quicker, and likely keep you competitive for the playoffs - but - sooner or later your going to find yourself in the midst of equal teams. Depending how much your willing to spend, that might be in Gold or it might be in Perfect - but you will have to do more than just spend money.

Sidenote; Winning all the time in Perfect Level shouldn't be the only goal of this game. Doing the best you can in whatever level your in should be.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #64
dman7666
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Last season I won a Perfect League level championship with a team that I have spent zero dollars on to build. The team that was up against in the finals had a starting lineup that was composed of 7 perfect cards and 2 diamonds. Yes I was quite lucky but if you can get into the playoffs you have a puncher's chance.

I find it quite fun to see how well I can do with one of my teams where the conceit is to see how well I can do without an outlay of funds, but I get how that's not for everyone. The irony is that I would pay money to play in a league with a salary cap of some kind (such as total player points allowed on the roster) as I would find that to be an interesting challenge.

But for now I contribute to the Perfect Team coffers by buying the occasional pack for my "only use players I get from packs team". Which, to be honest, getting my "packs only card" team up the the silver level is just as fun, if not more so, than my team playing in the Perfect level.
dman7666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #65
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman7666 View Post
The irony is that I would pay money to play in a league with a salary cap of some kind (such as total player points allowed on the roster) as I would find that to be an interesting challenge.

You can do that for free next week.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #66
dman7666
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
You can do that for free next week.
I think that the voluntary Cap league you guys are doing is a great idea and an awesome example of how the community can come together to make the kind of game experience they want. But based on what read on the forums it seems like it can be a tad tedious at times to get everyone on the same page as far as being friends and signed up to be in the same league. Also, if you have more people than league slots some teams will be left out, obviously. I was just putting it out there that another route that OOTP could get money from me would be to have a pay to play salary cap league that was structured and formalized.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #67
atabakin
All Star Reserve

How many times do the developers have to say that there will be only one universe for PT leagues?
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #68
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
It might just be me but once I reached the top I want to stay there, going to a lower level will make me lose interest.
I do not understand that. You will be playing the same game . It is the game that is fun right? Not the level. I am not saying this in any argumentative way just a little confused on why the level would matter. 😁
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #69
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
I do not understand that. You will be playing the same game . It is the game that is fun right? Not the level. I am not saying this in any argumentative way just a little confused on why the level would matter. 😁
To be fair the post you're quoting was made four months ago... but if I'm not competitive at the Perfect level (as is the case for the second time with a FTP team of mine), I'm almost glad to head back down to Diamond.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #70
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, if you have more people than league slots some teams will be left out, obviously.
I wish that were a problem.

Tedious? It does require some effort, yes.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #71
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
To be fair the post you're quoting was made four months ago... but if I'm not competitive at the Perfect level (as is the case for the second time with a FTP team of mine), I'm almost glad to head back down to Diamond.
Oops sorry, I just saw it today and never look at the date. Me bad. Just was curious is all. 😁
Old 03-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #72
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
But based on what read on the forums it seems like it can be a tad tedious at times to get everyone on the same page as far as being friends and signed up to be in the same league.
Nah, if your name isn't Orcin, it takes about 5 minutes of your time each week -- remove 4 teams from your friends list, add 4 back. Maybe 10 minutes the initial week to fill out your friends list the first time.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #73
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I was just putting it out there that another route that OOTP could get money from me would be to have a pay to play salary cap league that was structured and formalized.
Agreed, this would be super nice
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #74
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oops , I take the Sorry back. Gave a sorry to the wrong person. Lol. 🤷*♂️
Old 03-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #75
DTFinch
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just a few thoughts I have, several posters complain about how this subject gets brought up repeatedly, but as long as Perfect Team is being actively promoted and advertised there will be new people like me joining all the time with questions. I look at the option of buying points sort of like the Red Sox/Yankees compared to the Twins or the As. Sure with a little luck the Twins or As could win the World Series, but the large market teams that spend the money have a better chance. I think many people play OOTP because they dislike how baseball has evolved that way over the last few decades. I want to be clear, I by no means am criticizing or condemning those who buy points, that is personal choice , and it has been set up to create more money for OOTP, more power to them. I just like the fairness of point acquisition being uniform among all teams in a league, with the ability to realistically advance to the highest level.
DTFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #76
dman7666
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
How many times do the developers have to say that there will be only one universe for PT leagues?
I get what you are saying but this statement from the developers, as far as I have seen, has always been in response to the request that there be a free to play universe separate from teams that use money to buy points. Which wouldn't be in the best interest of generating income for OOTP and developing the game. On the other hand, I haven't of read others saying they would pay to be part of a salary cap league which, as another potential revenue stream, the developers might want to consider in the future.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #77
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFinch View Post
Just a few thoughts I have, several posters complain about how this subject gets brought up repeatedly, but as long as Perfect Team is being actively promoted and advertised there will be new people like me joining all the time with questions. I look at the option of buying points sort of like the Red Sox/Yankees compared to the Twins or the As. Sure with a little luck the Twins or As could win the World Series, but the large market teams that spend the money have a better chance. I think many people play OOTP because they dislike how baseball has evolved that way over the last few decades. I want to be clear, I by no means am criticizing or condemning those who buy points, that is personal choice , and it has been set up to create more money for OOTP, more power to them. I just like the fairness of point acquisition being uniform among all teams in a league, with the ability to realistically advance to the highest level.
think of it more as a challenge to out-manage the big spenders... all it really takes is time and a bit o' luck... heck, in 3 months time I've made two free-to-play teams that are competing well in the Gold league this season (one made it to the Diamond leagues and stuck around there for 5 seasons before dropping back down)... if that can be done with no $$ spent in just 3 months, I'm looking forward to what they can do with more time...

if you're wanting to rocket to the top tier and compete with the best of the best of the best immediately, you'll either have to spend some $$ or get super lucky with who emerges from the card packs you get... if you're ok just enjoying the game even if you spend multiple season in the Bronze/Silver tiers, then sit back and slowly build your team and have some fun.... (a championship at Bronze or Silver level is still a championship... considering how many players/teams are in the PT universe, not that many can say they have won a world series, so enjoy it if you do)
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #78
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
I get what you are saying but this statement from the developers, as far as I have seen, has always been in response to the request that there be a free to play universe separate from teams that use money to buy points. Which wouldn't be in the best interest of generating income for OOTP and developing the game. On the other hand, I haven't of read others saying they would pay to be part of a salary cap league which, as another potential revenue stream, the developers might want to consider in the future.
Here's why.

I've spent some money on one of my teams (about $50). I decided that it was a waste of my money so I wouldn't spend any more. Since then, I've almost bought PP about 100 times and only my stubbornness has kept me from doing it. I know that most people are not nearly as stubborn about spending money as I am.

So for anyone who is in a FTP league and is starting to get that itch to spend money, the fact that it's FTP would be the only thing that prevents them from spending money. That is what they're not going to do.

It's just like stopping the roster changes in the playoffs. The playoffs are the perfect time to add that $50 card to push your team over the top to win a championship. Some have suggested that this not be allowed. But OOTP isn't going to stop people from spending money at the time they're most likely to spend money just because it seems unfair compared to real life baseball rules.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #79
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFinch View Post
Is it fair to say that teams that don't spend money will have to work harder than teams that do for the same level of success? Again, I am not knocking people who spend money, whatever someone wants to spend on their hobby is none of my concern. But if I play I want a level playing field without having to invest real money to keep up with those who do.
I work just as hard on my pay team as I do on my 2 FTP teams. If you have a full 25 man roster of OVR 100 players and do not work your team, I promise there are several managers here on these forums with teams with much lower OVR's that will give you a spanking in the playoffs. Money is an advantage, nobody denies that. But it is not the end-all in Perfect League level that some people think it is. Money is a much bigger advantage coming up through the ranks to get to Perfect League where the great whales are often harpooned.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #80
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On the other hand, I haven't of read others saying they would pay to be part of a salary cap league which, as another potential revenue stream, the developers might want to consider in the future.
This has been raised before, several times, and the developers have said that there will never be separate universes for Perfect Team.