Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Chiefs will be trading Alex Smith to Washington.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ngton-redskins

I expect Washington to still try & find a QB in the draft. But that all but assures Cousins is headed elsewhere. Mahomes is getting the reins in KC.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:17 AM   #2
Jason Moyer
Hall Of Famer

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington?

"I was very fortunate to have a pitching coach by the name of Tom House...Tom, I really miss those days that we spent in the weight room and out on the field working together."
-- Nolan Ryan's HoF Induction Speech
Jason Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington?
What's the minimum age to get that reference?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

That was a great trade on the part of KC. I wish them luck.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I went to bed not knowing who Chiefs got. I woke up and saw Kendall Fuller and a 3rd!??! Wow.

I mean, I don’t know zippidy do dah about scouting football skills so I have to go with what I read, but it seems as if that is a pretty sweet deal for KC. I hope Washington doesn’t back out.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 01-31-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Apparently he's agreed to a 4 yr/$94MM extension with over $71MM guaranteed.

Wow.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
I went to bed not knowing who Chiefs got. I woke up and saw Kendall Fuller and a 3rd!??! Wow.

I mean, I don’t know zippidy do dah about scouting football skills so I have to go with what I read, but it seems as if that is a pretty sweet deal for KC. I hope Washington doesn’t back out.
It was a terrific deal for KC. They get a sure starter for a player they were looking to cut loose anyway plus whatever bonus the 3rd pick supplies. I personally know a lot of Washington fans who are livid.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #8
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
It was a terrific deal for KC. They get a sure starter for a player they were looking to cut loose anyway plus whatever bonus the 3rd pick supplies. I personally know a lot of Washington fans who are livid.
I don't know any Redskins fans, but what's there to be happy about? They didn't get anything in the trade. They downgraded at QB, lost a player and 3rd round pick.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:42 AM   #9
magnet 2.0
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
What's the minimum age to get that reference?
What if I told you we watched that in school...20 or so years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
"We'll always have penis."
magnet 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

$71M guaranteed for Alex Smith??? Kirk Cousins is gonna make a ridiculous amount of money!
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #11
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
$71M guaranteed for Alex Smith??? Kirk Cousins is gonna make a ridiculous amount of money!
You're probably right, but I don't see a single team that wouldn't either draft a QB or keep who they already have before paying Cousins that much money.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I can see Denver, the Jets, Browns & Jax all getting into the Cousins sweepstakes.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can see Denver, the Jets, Browns & Jax all getting into the Cousins sweepstakes.
The Jags are the only one I can see right now on your list. Here are the first 6 picks.

1. Browns
2. Giants
3. Colts
4. Browns
5. Broncos
6. Jets

The Colts are not drafting a QB. The Browns aren't drafting two QBs. The top 4 QBs are going to the bold. Why would any of those teams pay Kirk Cousins a boatload of money instead of drafting a QB in 2018?

I'm thinking the Jags would be a good fit if they have cap space. They are a team ready to win now. But is Cousins that much better than Bortles? Maybe Bortles can be a lot better given the weapons at WR.

Pittsburgh if Big Ben retires. Other than that I'm thinking Cousins is going to a team like Arizona or Buffalo. I just don't think Cousins is getting the money he thinks he's worth.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would also add the Vikings to your list - neither Bradshaw, Bridgewater, or Kennum are signed for next year.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-02-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #15
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The Jags are the only one I can see right now on your list. Here are the first 6 picks.

1. Browns
2. Giants
3. Colts
4. Browns
5. Broncos
6. Jets

The Colts are not drafting a QB. The Browns aren't drafting two QBs. The top 4 QBs are going to the bold. Why would any of those teams pay Kirk Cousins a boatload of money instead of drafting a QB in 2018?

I'm thinking the Jags would be a good fit if they have cap space. They are a team ready to win now. But is Cousins that much better than Bortles? Maybe Bortles can be a lot better given the weapons at WR.

Pittsburgh if Big Ben retires. Other than that I'm thinking Cousins is going to a team like Arizona or Buffalo. I just don't think Cousins is getting the money he thinks he's worth.
You can still draft a QB for the future & get a vet for the now.

1)NFL contracts aren't worth the paper they are drafted on. Rarely do large contracts last for the terms they are signed for.

2)Veteran teams that could be poised for a quick turnaround will be tempted if they feel they are a QB away.

3) The CBA gives salary certainty when it comes to top draft picks. So having 2 high profile QB's won't break the bank if one is in their first contract.

4) An early-drafting team with a ton of needs besides QB could be tempted to drop down for extra picks and fill multiple needs. And they would be more confident if they fill that need w/a quality FA.

5) This is a deep QB draft. So there is a better than usual chance you won't have to jump early & find your QB for the future. Having a vet will afford a team the luxury of waiting until day 2 or 3 to look for one.

IDK what every franchise's salary cap situation is, so that is also a factor. Cousins could be looking to break the bank or he might be looking for the best situation & give a discount. Either way, I don't believe teams drafting early will keep them from being suitors for Cousins.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-03-2018, 01:11 AM   #16
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can still draft a QB for the future & get a vet for the now.

1)NFL contracts aren't worth the paper they are drafted on. Rarely do large contracts last for the terms they are signed for.

2)Veteran teams that could be poised for a quick turnaround will be tempted if they feel they are a QB away.

3) The CBA gives salary certainty when it comes to top draft picks. So having 2 high profile QB's won't break the bank if one is in their first contract.

4) An early-drafting team with a ton of needs besides QB could be tempted to drop down for extra picks and fill multiple needs. And they would be more confident if they fill that need w/a quality FA.

5) This is a deep QB draft. So there is a better than usual chance you won't have to jump early & find your QB for the future. Having a vet will afford a team the luxury of waiting until day 2 or 3 to look for one.

IDK what every franchise's salary cap situation is, so that is also a factor. Cousins could be looking to break the bank or he might be looking for the best situation & give a discount. Either way, I don't believe teams drafting early will keep them from being suitors for Cousins.
I agree with everything you said except the discount. I just think what you said will lead to a different result.

I just don't see why any team would want to take that kind of cap hit for the first few seasons and possibly dead money for Kirk Cousins when as you say, this draft is deep at QB.

Cousins is going to want 30-35 mil a year and I just don't see why any team drafting high wouldn't use that money elsewhere in FA and just draft a QB.

The only team I can see that would apply are the Jags. But they need to upgrade at WR because I don't think Cousins is going to be some magic man.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #17
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I can see the Browns because the franchise hasn't had a QB since Kosar. After decades of instability I can see why they would over compensate.

Denver is clearly a QB away from contending in the West, IMO. I don't believe they are in rebuilding mode & are willing to wait a season or 2 for a QB to lead them.

The Jets were better than expected last season & can make a quick turnaround if they can quit playing musical chairs behind center. Not too mention NY teams are always conscious of making a media splash.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can see the Browns because the franchise hasn't had a QB since Kosar. After decades of instability I can see why they would over compensate.
Agreed, I can see that too. But don't you think the cap space (I'm assuming they have a lot) would be better spent elsewhere? That's what I'm going by.

Quote:
Denver is clearly a QB away from contending in the West, IMO. I don't believe they are in rebuilding mode & are willing to wait a season or 2 for a QB to lead them.
I agree with the bold, but what would you do? Tie up all that cap space for Kirk? He's not Peyton Manning. I'd agree if he's not trying to break the bank, but I think he is. I don't think he's worth it. Denver can be a year or two away with or without Cousins, why tie up that cap space?

Quote:
The Jets were better than expected last season & can make a quick turnaround if they can quit playing musical chairs behind center. Not too mention NY teams are always conscious of making a media splash.
I will never underestimate the Jets ability to do the wrong thing. But why would Cousins go here unless the money talked? He could have just accepted Washington's offer. The Jets are in a rebuilding stage and Cousins isn't going to win them a championship. They need multiple pieces. Again, Kirk will just tie up cap space better spent elsewhere and draft a top 4 QB.

I just think this is one of the rare situations where a QB is asking for more than he is worth and unlike many other scenarios, this one doesn't bode well for him. Those teams that could use a good QB now can draft one.

I do believe the Jags are the best fit for him and the team if they have the cap space. Other than that Arizona, maybe Buffalo or Pitt if Big Ben retires.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #19
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Agreed, I can see that too. But don't you think the cap space (I'm assuming they have a lot) would be better spent elsewhere? That's what I'm going by.
Of course I do. But we are talking Cleveland here. The Browns don't do too many things that make sense or they wouldn't have just one win in 2 seasons. Plus, with the revolving door they have had behind center, they are understandably desperate.

Quote:
I agree with the bold, but what would you do? Tie up all that cap space for Kirk? He's not Peyton Manning. I'd agree if he's not trying to break the bank, but I think he is. I don't think he's worth it. Denver can be a year or two away with or without Cousins, why tie up that cap space?
Supply & demand. A cup of water ain't worth you car, but if you've been stranded in the desert 3 days w/o a drink........Denver is at a point where they are too good to rebuild. IMO, they either have to dump some players that have value in order to start over, or overpay for a QB to avoid wasting that value. I don't think going into 2018 w/the same situation is doable.

Quote:
I will never underestimate the Jets ability to do the wrong thing. But why would Cousins go here unless the money talked? He could have just accepted Washington's offer. The Jets are in a rebuilding stage and Cousins isn't going to win them a championship. They need multiple pieces. Again, Kirk will just tie up cap space better spent elsewhere and draft a top 4 QB.
Like I said, I don't know what Cousins' goal is here. Get the most money, find the best team, something in between? IDK. But I do expect the Jets to kick the tires to see what's what for the reasons I mentioned.

As far as Washington goes, that happened because 1) Cousins knew what the market value is for a credible starting QB in FA, so he bet on remaining healthy & being prepared for this off season instead of being tied to DC for less money. And 2) Washington, particularly Dan Snyder, isn't in love w/Cousins & doesn't think he should pay what Cousins knows he can get. Both parties are to "blame" if blame is something that this needs to be called.

Quote:
I just think this is one of the rare situations where a QB is asking for more than he is worth and unlike many other scenarios, this one doesn't bode well for him. Those teams that could use a good QB now can draft one.
Like I said, Cousins gambled on himself. There are a number of teams who want a credible starting QB. Does he get a payday that meets his expectations or does he settle for one that meets a franchise's expectations? We'll see if he is correct.

Quote:
I do believe the Jags are the best fit for him and the team if they have the cap space. Other than that Arizona, maybe Buffalo or Pitt if Big Ben retires.
I forgot about Buffalo.

I think the Cards should take a step back & shoot for 2020. The Rams are good, the Niners are on the come up & Seattle is still a force. Get younger, dump dead weight, create cap space & be ready when the division starts to fall back to you.

Big Ben told teammates he wants to play 3 more years now that Haley left.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Cobra, I'm just trying to go by what makes the most sense. I am leaning towards you being right because all of my work mates that I talk to about football might as well said word for word what you just said in regards to the Jets, Browns, and Broncos. But I remain in denial!

I'm usually pretty good predicting this kind of stuff, but I am in such a minority here that I am beginning to question my own logic. But it will be interesting to see what happens.