Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Would you use the historical exhibition game feature?
Yes, great idea, I'd use it! 115 57.21%
Nope, waste of time, improve the damned trade AI instead. 86 42.79%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #41
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkle333 View Post
That is a splendid idea. Would be neat if it could be expanded to a 4 out of 7 World Series play.
Was going to say the same thing. The ability to play a series would be nice.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #42
DB930
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Again if you think they and by they I mean the OOTP team but then sending some time working to add a specific feature to the game any feature not just this one that they will completely ignore and stop working on anything and everything else is what I don't agree with. I'm pretty sure they can Multi-task. I think they can work in this and anything else for that matter and work on something else at the same time. Give them the benefit of the doubt.
Well, that's your assumption. Doesn't mean it's right.

I don't think Markus would've bothered to ask "Should I spend time on this?" if he didn't consider that time valuable, and potentially better spent on other things. I assumed (again, not necessarily correctly, but I have the right to mine just as you have the right to yours) that if it was a simple little bonus thing that could be quickly and easily tacked on, that he wouldn't have bothered to ask at all. He would've just gone ahead and added it. The fact that he asked was an indication to me that he wanted honest feedback on how many of his customers would use it, and how many wouldn't. I wouldn't, so I voted no.

And please don't put words in my mouth about believing this will completely halt work on "anything and everything else". Obviously that's not the case. But if it comes down to either this or one other minor little improvement that'll affect league play, instead, I'll choose the other thing (without even knowing what that might be), since that'd be something I might use, whereas this is something I definitely wouldn't use...
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #43
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB930 View Post
Well, that's your assumption. Doesn't mean it's right.

I don't think Markus would've bothered to ask "Should I spend time on this?" if he didn't consider that time valuable, and potentially better spent on other things. I assumed (again, not necessarily correctly, but I have the right to mine just as you have the right to yours) that if it was a simple little bonus thing that could be quickly and easily tacked on, that he wouldn't have bothered to ask at all. He would've just gone ahead and added it. The fact that he asked was an indication to me that he wanted honest feedback on how many of his customers would use it, and how many wouldn't. I wouldn't, so I voted no.

And please don't put words in my mouth about believing this will completely halt work on "anything and everything else". Obviously that's not the case. But if it comes down to either this or one other minor little improvement that'll affect league play, instead, I'll choose the other thing (without even knowing what that might be), since that'd be something I might use, whereas this is something I definitely wouldn't use...
And yours don't mean it's right either it's your assumption. So it's worthbthe effort to go back and forth tit for tat. You your opinion I have mine. Some like the idea some some don't. Let's just agree to that And move on. I like turtles

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 01-29-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #44
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Why should we? You started out calling anyone who disagreed trolls. That's crap. Seems like a mob mentality is taking over the boards.
While the person you're addressing chose his words quite poorly, I don't think the term "mob mentality" does anyone any good around here. We can debate ideas and let people know they're out of line without reaching that type of extreme.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #45
swoboda
All Star Starter

Let's just calm down people. The CEO of the company asked whether we would use a proposed new feature. I like the way the company operates.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #46
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
Let's just calm down people. The CEO of the company asked whether we would use a proposed new feature. I like the way the company operates.
Amen! When's the last time that happened with any other product that's so near and dear to any of us?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #47
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Personally I would probably not use it or only use it once or twice (so I voted no), but it wouldn't be bad if it made it in the game.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #48
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

Simple poll question (and thank you for that).

My simple answer...personally would rather time went into improving all forms of AI - trade, contract demands and negotiations. If that time must go into one or the other.
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #49
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
Absolutely agree. All responses are of equal value.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #50
DB930
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
And yours don't mean it's right either it's your assumption. ... I like turtles
Looking back at what I wrote, I'm pretty sure I specifically acknowledged that mine was no more or less valid than yours. I might disagree with yours, but I at least respect your right to have it, and won't call you a "troll" cuz it happens to be different than mine.

I like puppies.
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #51
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaniac View Post
I'm a historical guy, so yes, I would use it - just like other "useless" things like having teams from different years play in a league with each other

But I also understand that guys who don't play historical have no use for that and therefore have every right to vote "no"
I also play historical, but I just wouldn't use a feature to let me do a one-off exhibition game (or even a series) between two historical teams. I prefer to focus on games that count and the long haul. I might do a "best of each kind of team for a season" type league, but that's completely different from the proposed feature. That's just how I happen to be wired, no value judgments are being made or implied here.

I only added that to object to the assertion that people who play historical would therefore use this. I personally play historical and wouldn't use it, because it would take my time away from the games that "count" in whatever historical universe I have set up for myself.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #52
drksd4848
All Star Starter

OMG!!

YES! PLEASE! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

With one addition: Allow the ability to schedule an actual playoff series. In order for fantasy world series match ups!
drksd4848 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #53
redranger
All Star Reserve

Yes. Often times it comes up in conversation which teams in history are better. Would be kinda nice to put em on the field and play a game or few to settle arguments
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #54
BeanballComin
Minors (Double A)

I play a lot of historical single season replay.
By default of this style of play, you really do learn a lot about how individual teams play, given the year.
Yes, this would be a great feature. I'm sure every one of us, has said at one point:
"But the 1947 team1 was better than the 1969 team2."

So I vote a big yes.
As far as trade-offs, I saw no mention of that in the OP.
If that was the part of the equation, I'd vote no for every new feature, (like 3D), because I still want some other aspects of the game to be fixed and/or expanded upon,
like seeing what pitchers the opposing team has warming up, and making it matter. Or getting the date back on the game screen.
BeanballComin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #55
hfield007
All Star Starter

i like it

but if it came down to this or trade AI... trade AI haha
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #56
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I'm the sixth and my opinion is just as relevant as any name-caller.
I'm the 38th.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #57
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB930 View Post
I'll choose the other thing (without even knowing what that might be), since that'd be something I might use, whereas this is something I definitely wouldn't use...
Exactly my sentiment.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #58
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Markus,

Obviously this feature has value to a lot of people. I suggest that if you move forward with this idea it's probably a good idea to be able to schedule a series.

Let the player decide the number of games.

1 3 5 7 9 game series

Old 01-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #59
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psucolonel View Post
i voted no as well. I feel the future of ootp is based on how well it performs for fictional modern day leagues, rather than historical. That is not to say there aren't those who enjoy historical play, and while i realize this, i just feel with the limited resources ootpd has, those efforts are best spent on other areas of the simulation.
nm

Last edited by David Watts; 01-29-2016 at 10:24 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #60
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanballComin View Post
I play a lot of historical single season replay.
By default of this style of play, you really do learn a lot about how individual teams play, given the year.
Yes, this would be a great feature. I'm sure every one of us, has said at one point:
"But the 1947 team1 was better than the 1969 team2."

So I vote a big yes.
As far as trade-offs, I saw no mention of that in the OP.
If that was the part of the equation, I'd vote no for every new feature, (like 3D), because I still want some other aspects of the game to be fixed and/or expanded upon,
like seeing what pitchers the opposing team has warming up, and making it matter. Or getting the date back on the game screen.
I think this is the problem with doing a poll. It's hard to vote "yes" if we imagine one feature (whatever it is) might replace something else we think is more important. Probably would've been better if Markus had said, "I can add Feature A or Feature B but not both. Which would you prefer?"
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote