Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 11-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
JeffR
FHM Producer

FHM2 Update #4, Version 2.4.29, Now Available!

Our fourth update for FHM2, version 2.4.29, has just been released.

To apply the update if you are playing the eSellerate version of the game, simply download the setup file and install it over your current installation. There is no need to uninstall or unlicense your current copy! However, you should quit the game before installing it, of course. If you are on Steam, the update should occur automatically, either as soon as we make the file available or when you launch the game, depending on your Steam settings.

Download link for PC:
Main server: PC Installer

Download link for Mac:
Main Server: Mac Installer

Your existing savegames will be compatible with the updated game, but any fixes involving the database updates in the update will require a new start to be fully effective, and some of the update's fixes may not retroactively correct certain problems in existing saves.

General notes: First, and most importantly: this update is dedicated to our friend Matthieu LeClair (Penfold on our forums), who passed away suddenly last Friday. Despite an ongoing illness, Matt had been a huge contributor to FHM2's testing and research efforts over the last year, and we'll miss him greatly. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

We've expanded a bit more beyond bugfixing in this update, making some larger changes. All-star games have been added, and the German league is, at the moment, a testbed for some roster-rule changes that will eventually be expanded into other European leagues with similar rule structures. The reported-bug list is now 63% cleared (from 40% last update; includes newly-discovered bugs added since then.) With the extensive work on the larger new features and bugfixing, we didn't have time to implement that many smaller user-suggested features this time, but still have a long list of those to consider.

The database in this build is the product of last week's research update, so it's a few days behind real life. The "Current" starting option is beginning to diverge more from the Opening Night one now.

Changes:

1. Clarification made in labeling of Fatigue column on Lines screen during games (it shows current Game Fatigue, not the skaters's fitness value.)

2. Adjusted the maximum value the AI will assign to lower-round draft picks. This was intended to encourage the AI to make more trades involving picks, but the effect hasn't been as noticeable as was hoped, so we're going to try another approach next that should result in more active attempts at acquiring/trading picks by the AI.

3. College-bound players should now be a little less willing to sign professional contracts.

4. Scouts assigned to the KHL draft should now scout more appropriate regions.

5. Player health status colours reversed so green = good, red = hurt.

6. Defencemen should now be somewhat less likely to be named playoff MVP.

7. MHL/MHLB (Russian junior) maximum age is now 20.

8. Czech relegation system corrected.

9. Corrections made to starting injury data.

10. Spelling of many Belarusian city names switched from Polish to Belarusian versions.

11. In leagues where money can be included in trade offers (e.g. the KHL), the dollar amounts will now be valued more accurately by the AI.

New Additions:

12. The (modern) NHL and KHL now play all-star games in midseason. Unfortunately, the NHL surprised us with the new all-star game format for 2016, and it's going to be difficult to get that 3-on-3, 20-minute game setup working in FHM, so for now the NHL game approximately follows the format used in recent seasons, with two captains selecting the teams. We can't rename the teams annually according to the captains' names, though, so the normal naming format of "Team Crosby" is replaced by the two teams being designated "Red" and "Blue". The KHL uses its conference vs. conference format. A special set of game settings and AI tactical choices are used to simulate the wide-open nature of all-star games with many goals and few hits or penalties, although the scores usually still fall a little short of the basketball-like ones in real life. All-star game stats are recorded in player histories (in addition to the existing preseason, regular season, and playoff stats.) All-star games will be expanded to other leagues and historical seasons soon, and the basic functionality will serve as the foundation for other non-club games, like international play, that will eventually be added in future versions of the game.

13. The incorporation of Eliteprospects player history data continues; we've experimented with a few more leagues and are now adding new ones regularly. In this update, we've added player histories for skaters from the Swedish SHL and Allsvenskan, Finnish Liiga, Swiss Nationalliga A, Asian League Ice Hockey, and the Federal League. The American Hockey league, Finnish Mestis, and Austrian EBEL have partial updates (the AHL one going back 25 years, enough to cover all active players.) The process isn't quite perfect yet, so you may notice some players with missing history when the all of the steps we've taken to match EP's player ID's to ours have failed, but it's a fairly small number (~2%); we'll be going back and correcting those manually later. Same with a few cases where the team histories had some flaws that caused the player stats to import without a team name or not at all, we're still picking those out. We're hoping to get all of the remaining playable leagues done by the next update; however, it's proving a little more time-consuming than we expected translating their data into our database structures, so we have to balance that with making other changes to the game. Nonplayable league histories may take a while longer because of that, as well as some concerns about the amount of memory and save file space they'll eat (although so far it's been much less than anticipated), and the necessity of fleshing out the framework history for some of them in our database. Special thanks to Duranium and Lazion for helping out with the stat imports.

14. The German league's roster limit and injury list have been removed to make the roster handling there more realistic; teams can now add as many players to their roster as their budget and annual contract maximum (32 per team) allow. The AI in this league has been adjusted to deal with these circumstances and to make better choices about the use of foreign players (it should now hold out for better foreigners, rather than signing weaker ones at the start of the season.) As mentioned, these changes are test runs for improving the way European leagues handle player movement, and may also be useful in improving the roster AI as a whole (although we still intend to make more direct changes in that area.)

Bug Fixes:

15. The AI should now always attempt to use the special teams units designated in the tactics screen instead of trying to choose its own. This has resulted in a slight scoring increases and changes in icetime for top-level players, we'll likely have to do a little more fine-tuning of this next update.

16. Game view slowdown when player is in penalty box fixed.

17. Goals scored while playing 4-on-4 should no longer end the penalty on the scored-upon team in some situations.

18. Asian League schedule should no longer change length after a few seasons have been played.

19. Season stats for goalies and skaters should now export to the appropriate CSV files properly.

20. The leaders and goalie leaders screens should no longer exclude players from categories for counting stats (goals, shutouts, etc.) if they haven't played a minimum number of games.

21. Using a special character in save name will no longer result in multiple copies of the save being created.

22. Opening Day quickstart now has the correct presets.txt (pre-existing injuries) file.

23. Hall of Fame Qualifications +/- field should now save edits properly, and has been adjusted to a starting value of 300.

24. In leagues with non-sudden death overtime, games will no longer progress to the shootout if the game is decided at the end of OT.

25. Potential crash in September 1980 of historical game fixed.

26. Russian under-18 teams should now have enough players at the start of the game to supply the first KHL draft properly.

27. Repetition of team name in one news headline fixed.

28. Play-by-play should no longer occasionally announce breakaway goals as being scored by the goalie they were scored on.

29. No-movement clauses should no longer prevent a player from being called up from a farm team to a parent team.

30. 1920x1200 arena backgrounds should now work properly.

31. CHL Import Draft should no longer occasionally become stuck when user is participating in it.

32. AI should no longer use 3 forwards when killing a penalty 3-on-5.

33. Signing player contract extensions should now reduce the team's extended contracts budget properly, instead of the free agent funds.

34. Player scouting levels should no longer drop shortly before the draft.

35. During the playoffs, the team home page should no longer show the most recent playoff game as both last home and last away game.

36. When non-coincidental minors are called on opposing teams playing 4-on-4 overtime, the result should no longer be the teams playing 5-on-5 the rest of the overtime.

37. Players should now no longer be excluded from leaders in counting stats (e.g. goalie shutouts) if they've played a low number of games.

38. Penalties during non-overtime 4-on-4 play should now correctly result in a 4-on-3 power play instead of 5-on-4.

39. If a team has a player serving a dual major and then takes two minor penalties, the second minor will now start immediately, instead of waiting for the major to expire.

40. The player screen should now show the correct number of years remaining on recently-renewed contracts.

41. Goalies subsituted into losing games should no longer be credited for the loss unless they meet the normal loss requirements.

42. Attempting to look at the Montreal Wanderers' player index will no longer result in a crash.

43. AI-controlled KHL teams should no longer occasionally sign players contracted to NHL teams.

44. The InD (days lost to injury) column on the team stats page should now be calculated correctly and no longer show very high (60,000+) numbers.

45. Custom zone assignments should now persist when exiting the game and reloading.

46. Relegated teams will now have their farm teams removed to prevent possible conflicts with farm and parent teams winding up in the same league together.

47. Historical games started in 1931 with the "Set Initial Rosters by Draft" and "Generate Rookies at 17" options both turned on should now get a proper draft pool at the start of the game.

48. Crashes caused by a few rare situations discovered in user-submitted files fixed.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
tarashnat
Major Leagues

That's a nice list of fixes. Great job!
tarashnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Great job guys!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
tward13
All Star Starter

It will be interesting to see how much help online leagues get from this.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
It will be interesting to see how much help online leagues get from this.
Missing in the long list above are the changes to the csv file output, sorry for that.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

Wonderful news about the release. Tragic news about Penfold (Matthieu). Sympathies and best wishes to his family. He contributed a lot to this project, and he'll be sorely missed.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
DanielR
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Very nice update!
DanielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Duranium
All Star Starter

nice job, guys...keep up the great work and add a DEPTH-CHART, dammit !

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
flyers139
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Game keeps getting better and better, guys! Thanks!
flyers139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
Justmeingardner
Minors (Single A)

Thumbs up Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thanks for fixing the penalty box slowdown and making windowed play work correctly as well. Now I can play the game the way I want, and not have to close and restart to attend to other business. I was already addicted, now I think I need help! Awesome job!
Justmeingardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
mochuck
Minors (Triple A)

Letting you know that the 75 draft issue is still unresolved.. both boxes are
checked and only 4 players show up in the draft... didn't notice it on the fix
list..
mochuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

hey at least you guys can play the game...mine is jammed says it is running and it isnt
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #13
landru22
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post
Is anyone else having trouble viewing boxscores since this update? When I scroll through them now, the top of each page cuts into the middle of the page. Not a very good description, I know. Here's a screenshot of what I mean:
Hmm.... I went back to look at the boxscore and it looks okay now. Not sure what happened there. Feel free to remove my posts if you think it may detract from the original subject of the thread
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
Flying_Canuck
Major Leagues

I've also noticed a problem after updating. I cannot find my saved games anymore! The folders are all there in /data/saved_games, but in the game's "continue" or "load" is now empty? Does anyone have the same problem as me?
Flying_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #15
NolaSola7
All Star Starter

I had some crash issues..... as of now ... seems to be fixed ! ! ! :-) :-) :-)

Issues I have seen

1) only once.. but the wrong guy was in the penalty box.... noticed only once

2) and this picture... Was this an issue before? I never thought to do the math... but I noticed the shots on the scoreboard and the shots didn't equate
Attached Images
NolaSola7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #16
Flying_Canuck
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Canuck View Post
I've also noticed a problem after updating. I cannot find my saved games anymore! The folders are all there in /data/saved_games, but in the game's "continue" or "load" is now empty? Does anyone have the same problem as me?

Spent some more time with this. It seems that the game now looks for saved games in the Document section instead of the game folder itself. I copied my old Saved Game folder into Document and now the game sees it but still cannot load it. I am really wondering what's going on. With this change, my old saves actually aren't compatible with the game now, right?
Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #17
Flying_Canuck
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Canuck View Post
Spent some more time with this. It seems that the game now looks for saved games in the Document section instead of the game folder itself. I copied my old Saved Game folder into Document and now the game sees it but still cannot load it. I am really wondering what's going on. With this change, my old saves actually aren't compatible with the game now, right?

I removed the game completely and did a fresh installation. Created a new game to test. Now the league file is created in the Game Folder again (/data/saved_games) and not in the Document anymore. So strange. I copied and pasted my old league folder and now can load correctly. Even though I am quite puzzled as to how can this happen but at this point I am just happy to be able to get my old league back. I did A LOT of editing of players/teams.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #18
seven
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaSola7 View Post
I had some crash issues..... as of now ... seems to be fixed ! ! ! :-) :-) :-)

Issues I have seen

1) only once.. but the wrong guy was in the penalty box.... noticed only once

2) and this picture... Was this an issue before? I never thought to do the math... but I noticed the shots on the scoreboard and the shots didn't equate
Yes, I noticed problem 2 on the previous version (after update 3) as well.
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:35 AM   #19
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochuck View Post
Letting you know that the 75 draft issue is still unresolved.. both boxes are
checked and only 4 players show up in the draft... didn't notice it on the fix
list..
Yeah, I'm seeing it, too, but that actually should have been fixed in this update - I just looked in the database and it's set up properly, and I know I made the necessary changes before the last database merge, so they should be in the current version. We'll have to investigate further, I'm starting to wonder if it isn't some strange interaction with the WHA draft, but that really shouldn't be possible.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:36 AM   #20
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyberianwarrior View Post
hey at least you guys can play the game...mine is jammed says it is running and it isnt
What exactly is happening when you try to start it? Do you get to the start screenl, or just a white screen (or nothing at all)?