Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #21
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold75 View Post
Anyway this time I am signing off. Surgery on Friday and I am going to spend every last minute,second,millisecond with my wife and kids until then. Take care all and see you in a few weeks I hope.
Good luck and safe return among the hockey maniacs not only on this boards.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #22
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Good luck man and wish you the best!
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #23
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

I don't normally post in the FHM section, but Penfold75 thoughts are with you man. Give that vile piece of crap disease a right good kicking.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #24
moore4807
All Star Starter

Please Pay Attention...

Quote:
It all started about August last year with the headaches, blurred vision, dizziness and my speech wasn't great. People around me kept asking if I was alright. But being a guy I left it about two months before going to the doctor and it was another month or so before I had my scan and they found the tumour. So my advice to anyone is if you notice any significant change in yourself or a pain that isn't going away, get your ass to the doctor might just save your life.
Penfold75 has given you in his few words the ultimate free advice. If you notice something different or wrong, get it checked out.

I was wildly lucky - I played a team softball game and bent down to pick up the ball when I tweaked my side, a minor pain unless I moved or twisted. I chalked it up to being old and fat and went to work the following day. Two days later I could barely get out of bed, I made an appointment with my regular Dr. and he thought it was just a pulled muscle. Still he sent me for x-rays to be sure. They found my spleen was X3 times it normal size and my white cell count was 36K (normally it's 8K) and all my bloodwork was screwed up. I then went for several tests and within two weeks I was diagnosed with CML, a type of leukemia that fortunately does have a medication to combat it.

If I had listened to my co-workers who told me I was a feline and even worse, that I should tough it out like a man. I likely would have recovered enough to ignore it and probably would have gone on to the blast phase of the disease which is usually fatal, even with the drugs.

Penfold75 has my greatest admiration as I have only had a little taste of what he is going through and its HUGELY scary... I understand his deflecting talking about the cancer, people do treat you differently once they find out your "sick" and a lot of people do avoid you like they could catch something...

Keep fighting and hope to see you soon back on here.

Last edited by moore4807; 06-30-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: mis spelling
moore4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #25
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
...which basically means you´ll live at least until 2085
I dunno, methinks this might be the secret to immortality....

Oh wait, that'd be living until the Cubs win another World Series.

In all seriousness, best wishes Penfold and a speedy and full recovery.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #26
Mickeyb37
Major Leagues

I received a text from Jenna (Mrs Penfold) who said that Matt had his operation this morning and is recovering at the moment. He will have a scan in a few days to check if the surgery has been a success but the Surgeon believes it went well.
Mickeyb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #27
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Hello from the Other Side

Hi Folks just thought I would give you all a quick update (won't keep you too long from other important FHM2 business)

I had my surgery on Friday the 3rd and the procedure went very well. I spent a couple of days in intensive care and came home on Wednesday the 8th. I then had a scan on Friday the 10th and it appears that all of the tumor has been removed from the area around the left side of my temple. So fingers crossed no more surgery or treatment is required.

The first few days I was very very tired and I couldn't sit up without feeling sick, dizzy or sore. My jaw is very stiff as they had to move some muscles around my jaw apparently so my speech isn't great but I have been told chewing gum will help that and it should improve over the next few weeks. I have a slight tremor on my right hand but again I have been told that should wear off. It has taken me about 40 minutes and two log ins to type this message so I will leave commenting on the FaceGens for another day

At the moment I look like the love child of Kojak and Darth Vader without his helmet at the end of Return of the Jedi but I was never exactly gorgeous to start with. Not sure if that will improve over time

Glad to be alive and on the road to recovery (I hope). Take care all and thanks for your support

Matt

Last edited by Penfold75; 07-12-2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Spelling chaos :-)
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #28
moore4807
All Star Starter

Quote:
At the moment I look like the love child of Kojak and Darth Vader without his helmet at the end of Return of the Jedi but I was never exactly gorgeous to start with. Not sure if that will improve over time

Glad to be alive and on the road to recovery (I hope). Take care all and thanks for your support

Matt
First; Glad to have you back! You just take it easy and follow the good Dr's orders...
Secondly - Chicks dig scars! (lol) After I got diagnosed (CML Leukemia) I saw the sign in the oncology office that read "If the sun comes up and the feet go down it's already a good day" I live by that motto - keeps me from feeling sorry for myself.

Take care and stay strong!
moore4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #29
Duranium
All Star Starter

Welcome back, Darth Penfold

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #30
UHAcommish
Bat Boy

Quote:
Hi Folks just thought I would give you all a quick update (won't keep you too long from other important FHM2 business).........

Matt
I don't post much here, but read this thread all of the time. Glad to see you back on the boards! Please keep us updated, get well soon!
UHAcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #31
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Great news that they seem to have removed all of it. Be safe and get well soon!
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #32
UHAcommish
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Great news that they seem to have removed all of it. Be safe and get well soon!
Yes, and on this note, it would be nice to change the thread title.
UHAcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #33
glb2687
Minors (Single A)

Smile

Quote:
Hi Folks just thought I would give you all a quick update (won't keep you too long from other important FHM2 business)

I had my surgery on Friday the 3rd and the procedure went very well. I spent a couple of days in intensive care and came home on Wednesday the 8th. I then had a scan on Friday the 10th and it appears that all of the tumor has been removed from the area around the left side of my temple. So fingers crossed no more surgery or treatment is required.

The first few days I was very very tired and I couldn't sit up without feeling sick, dizzy or sore. My jaw is very stiff as they had to move some muscles around my jaw apparently so my speech isn't great but I have been told chewing gum will help that and it should improve over the next few weeks. I have a slight tremor on my right hand but again I have been told that should wear off. It has taken me about 40 minutes and two log ins to type this message so I will leave commenting on the FaceGens for another day

Matt

Glad everything went well....nice to have you back! Stay strong!
glb2687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #34
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore4807 View Post
First; Glad to have you back! You just take it easy and follow the good Dr's orders...
Secondly - Chicks dig scars! (lol) After I got diagnosed (CML Leukemia) I saw the sign in the oncology office that read "If the sun comes up and the feet go down it's already a good day" I live by that motto - keeps me from feeling sorry for myself.

Take care and stay strong!
Keep well yourself my friend, take care
Old 07-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #35
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Brown View Post
I don't normally post in the FHM section, but Penfold75 thoughts are with you man. Give that vile piece of crap disease a right good kicking.
Thanks for venturing over to the FHM section Doc and for your message of support. Much appreciated
Old 07-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #36
tward13
All Star Starter

Great news. Continued good luck with your recovery.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #37
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Great to see you back and to hear things are going reasonably well. All the best!
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #38
archibalduk
All Star Starter

That's positive news. I wish you all the best with your recovery.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #39
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
That's positive news. I wish you all the best with your recovery.
Thanks archibalduk. Its going to be a long road. I have been referred to speech and language to help with my speech as it was getting quite slow and slurred when I was at my worst. Still doesn't seem great but I will keep working at it. The tremor in my hand is the most annoying thing and I hope it wears off soon. Takes me ages to type the most simple thing. My resignation letter from work took me about an hour this morning. Have decided to take some time out. I was treated pretty shabbily by my work while I was ill so going to take stock and some time to think about a new plan.

Thanks for your message of support. It is really good logging in and reading them all it is really much appreciated by myself and my family.

Matt
Old 07-14-2015, 02:45 AM   #40
geckon
Hall Of Famer

It's good to hear good news. I wish you smooth recovery and all the best!