Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 AM   #21
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Do they still have Abreu?
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:34 AM   #22
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
Do they still have Abreu?
It's a fictional MLB.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #23
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Can we see the personalities in the BNN page of these players?
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #24
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

I mean IMO I think its really simple why the Sox made the trade.

They gave away a average player (too much weight on ratings, ratings are taken into account even when its at 0%) for a stud pitching prospect and a utility prospect.

If more weight was given to stats, the player in question would not be rated that low and the trade wouldn't have went down.

I'm interested to know what was the potential rating of the rookie of the year.

I'd be more concern about why did the other team give away that prospect for that player. My only guess is that the Sox was rebuilding/neutral while the other team was win now/neutral.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 05-31-2015 at 10:41 AM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #25
ThePretender
All Star Starter

That's not a 1B I'd want to keep. Good contact/power, but absolutely no eye. He had a good season but I'm sure there are better options, and if you have other needs he's a good guy to sell high on. I'm not a huge fan of pitchers with the highest attribute being control, but it's a smart idea to sell high on that 1B. His value will never be higher.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #26
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePretender View Post
That's not a 1B I'd want to keep. Good contact/power, but absolutely no eye. He had a good season but I'm sure there are better options, and if you have other needs he's a good guy to sell high on. I'm not a huge fan of pitchers with the highest attribute being control, but it's a smart idea to sell high on that 1B. His value will never be higher.
His avoid k is pretty high. He might strike out a lot but he's going to be a tough out.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #27
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

I know we can sit here and question whether Meyers can keep up the pace and if he's an ideal 1B. His ratings etc..

But the big picture and my main point here, is would a GM really trade a rookie coming of that statistical season? Think about it in terms of real life MLB.

Not a chance.

Is it partially my fault based on the AI evaluation settings? Should I change them and have more of the focus on stats?

Last edited by Habsfan18; 05-31-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Remember, one season does not define a player. I'd like to see how this pans out at least a few years down the road.

There has been plenty of talk about the Cardinals upgrading at 1B this year and you heard none of that last season when Matt Adams was having a similar season as the player who was traded in this thread.

Meyers value is high at this point in time, might not be so high next year.

Last edited by MizzouRah; 05-31-2015 at 11:13 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #29
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
His avoid k is pretty high. He might strike out a lot but he's going to be a tough out.
Not necessarily a good thing when combined with high contact & low eye - means a lot of DPs. He's fast for a 1B but not fast enough to avoid hitting into a ton of DPs.

Anyway my point was about his low eye, not his avoid K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I know we can sit here and question whether Meyers can keep up the pace and if he's an ideal 1B. His ratings etc..

But the big picture and my main point here, is would a GM really trade a rookie coming of that statistical season? Think about it in terms of real life MLB.

Not a chance.

Is it partially my fault based on the AI evaluation settings? Should I change them and have more of the focus on stats?
Are they likely to be traded in the majors? No. But how many of the ROTY guys end up having strong careers? Not all of them. Better to trade a guy a year early then a year late. Keep the PC evaluating on ratings, not on stats. The PC is making a smart move here.

Last edited by ThePretender; 05-31-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #30
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Are the White Sox crazy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePretender View Post
Not necessarily a good thing when combined with high contact & low eye - means a lot of DPs. He's fast for a 1B but not fast enough to avoid hitting into a ton of DPs.

Anyway my point was about his low eye, not his avoid K.

Are they likely to be traded in the majors? No. But how many of the ROTY guys end up having strong careers? Not all of them. Better to trade a guy a year early then a year late. Keep the PC evaluating on ratings, not on stats. The PC is making a smart move here.

Low eye is not all be all of ratings. His contact and power is high enough (along with his high avoid K) for his low eye to not hurt him as much as a guy with a much lower contact rating hence why he's hitting over .300. He'd probably be a career .270

I wonder what his average says in the editor.

From the looks of it the OP is probably more concerned with realism rather than the AI predicting the future and dumping a player a year early. In my experience with the game these type of seasons aren't flukes for a player without all around pretty ratings.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 05-31-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:19 PM   #31
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

maybe they thought they were selling high on the guy? what was his BABIP? its all a game of asset management and if they thought his value was at its peak it would make sense to pull the trigger. Crazier things have happened.
sabrtoothtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #32
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

At those evaluation settings, you are valuing the player's ratings for 40% of the rating, and only 30% on the great statistical season he just had.

That pitching prospect has some amazing potential ratings.

I don't think you are having the AI evaluate the stats enough in its calculations... and I don't think it gives a rip about the awards, strictly the numbers it is presented with.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #33
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Quote:
Low eye is not all be all of ratings. His contact and power is high enough (along with his high avoid K) for his low eye to not hurt him as much as a guy with a much lower contact rating hence why he's hitting over .300. He'd probably be a career .270
I never said he'd fail to hit for average or that his lack of eye would make him regress/suck. I just said that I personally do not like low eye players, especially from a position like 1B which is entirely based around his bat. I would sell high on contact/power no eye bats, and keep looking until I find a guy who is successful at all 3 skills.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #34
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
Can we see the personalities in the BNN page of these players?
Sure thing.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 05-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #35
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

Quote:

I wonder what his average says in the editor.

From the looks of it the OP is probably more concerned with realism rather than the AI predicting the future and dumping a player a year early. In my experience with the game these type of seasons aren't flukes for a player without all around pretty ratings.

Out of curiosity what AI Eval settings do you use?
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:38 PM   #36
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Are the White Sox crazy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette53 View Post
Out of curiosity what AI Eval settings do you use?

Either 25/25/25/25 or 0/50/25/25.

I've been using 0/50/25/25 lately since amateur stats doesn't seem to carry too much value in this year's version. With the same setting in older versions I was seeing too many draft picks make their MLB debut the same year they were drafted.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #37
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

If you want the AI to act more like a real life GM you need to lower their reliance on ratings, plain and simple. I usually go somewhere in the 10%-15% range. Your settings are only giving the great season in question 30% of the consideration.

I like something like 10-50-30-10 for a more realistic AI.

Last edited by Rain King; 06-01-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
If you want the AI to act more like a real life GM you need to lower their reliance on ratings, plain and simple. I usually go somewhere in the 10%-15% range. Your settings are only giving the great season in question 30% of the consideration.

I like something like 10-50-30-10 for a more realistic AI.
The game is based on ratings though.. one good season does NOT make a great player. I believe there is a reason the default settings are something like 65/20/10/5. I use 50/30/15/5 and so far nothing has grabbed me as odd via waivers or trades.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions based off one trade. I still believe we need to revisit this trade a few years down the road.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #39
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I just had a relatively similar situation getting ready for "2016", where the Padres traded Wil Myers (big star, just 25) to Seattle for Chris Taylor (better SS than what they had) and Alex Jackson (stud OF prospect). It's hard to imagine players of Myers's caliber getting traded as they're just going into their prime, but it happens. Heck, it's happened to Myers himself twice, IRL. (Going from KC to TB, and then to SD.)

As annoying as it must be for the San Diego fans to imagine the team folding its cards for a couple of years (and they can't have been thrilled at watching management let Ian Kennedy walk after a 12-3 season in 2015, either), it does make long-term sense. They added a useful piece and reposition themselves for when Jackson is ready, which will be right when Myers is probably demanding $30 million/year or so. And the White Sox, in your fictional world, seem to be doing the same sort of thing. I wouldn't worry about it; they just are looking at their "window" for contention being a couple of years down the road, rather than right now.

(The Padres' cosmetic rental of Dexter Fowler [1 year, $8.9 million] is a little more dubious, but I guess they don't want the season ticket base to completely erode while they're waiting on Jackson…)
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #40
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The game is based on ratings though.. one good season does NOT make a great player. I believe there is a reason the default settings are something like 65/20/10/5. I use 50/30/15/5 and so far nothing has grabbed me as odd via waivers or trades.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions based off one trade. I still believe we need to revisit this trade a few years down the road.
The MLB quickstart evaluation settings are like that because the volunteers who put the quickstart together preferred it that way. I wouldn't take it to be any kind of official judgment about the "best" settings (though I think there may be something to the idea that the quickstart settings discourage more dramatic player shuffling in the first year of the game).

For what it's worth, the default fictional league settings are something like 30/50/15/5, which I prefer.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote