Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #41
redranger
All Star Reserve

Denver Red Rocks
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #42
ink625
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
What are the teams in the rest of the league?
These are the team names in the league that I'm 100% on so far:

Pilots
Athletes
Guardians
Vipers
Matadors
Riders
Warriors
Owls
Maroons
Pines
Commanders
Checkers
Monarchs
Beacons
Gators
Dragons
Whales
Rebels
Canaries
Bluebirds
Liberty
Bombers
Crusaders
Storm
Lobos
If you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and will believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
-Romans 10:9,10

Last edited by ink625; 05-11-2015 at 04:27 PM.
ink625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #43
Go Tribe
All Star Starter

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Mile High Club?
Go Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #44
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

I love alliteration, too, and though this may be overdoing it a bit, it fits my sense of humor: Denver Defenders

Something else Rocky Mountain-ish: Pinnacles

Last edited by OakDragon; 05-11-2015 at 04:36 PM.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #45
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Oysters?
Old 05-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #46
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Denver Riders
Denver Steers

Those might be interesting. Denver is the home of the largest stock show in the world. Back in the day their was a baseball diamond on the grounds although it never had a organised team. I'd think if they did have a team it would be Steers or some other sold animal name.

Also if named them Steers you could have them be a rival to the Matadors

Last edited by ra7c7er; 05-11-2015 at 04:48 PM.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #47
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

Bootleggers is another choice, since in the 70's taking Coors beer east of Ol' Miss was considered "bootlegging".

Silver Bullets is an homage to the professional women's travelling team.

Last edited by ArcAngel; 05-11-2015 at 04:55 PM.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #48
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
And then you've got the beyond silly at the amateur levels: Bolton Robots of Doom
Out of the minors and into the comic books.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #49
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

59'ers
Beetles
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #50
smpipkin86
Bat Boy

Damage
smpipkin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #51
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink625 View Post
These are the team names in the league that I'm 100% on so far:

Pilots
Athletes
Guardians
Vipers
Matadors
Riders
Warriors
Owls
Maroons
Pines
Commanders
Checkers
Monarchs
Beacons
Gators
Dragons
Whales
Rebels
Canaries
Bluebirds
Liberty
Bombers
Crusaders
Storm
Lobos
So many plural nicknames

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Canaries, Beacons, Checkers, Matadors & Guardians have a bit of a minor league feel to them?

Not knocking them, but they don't sound like "major sports team nicknames" to me (wouldn't mention it normally if you hadn't specifically asked for names that don't sound like minor league nicknames). I just have a hard time envisioning a line of HOF busts wearing a Checkers cap
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #52
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

New World Order
Ice Peaks
Six Shooters
Grubstakes
Old 05-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #53
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
So many plural nicknames

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Canaries, Beacons, Checkers, Matadors & Guardians have a bit of a minor league feel to them?

Not knocking them, but they don't sound like "major sports team nicknames" to me (wouldn't mention it normally if you hadn't specifically asked for names that don't sound like minor league nicknames). I just have a hard time envisioning a line of HOF busts wearing a Checkers cap
Personally to me I don't really consider anything to be a major league or minor league name. I do get the not wanting overly descriptive trying to be funny names. It's all about perspective. The only reason you (not saying you particular but I mean people as a whole) like the current names is because they've been around a long time. If a team in New York asked for team names today "Yankees" wouldn't even make the list. Same could be said for the "Red Sox" and "White Sox" and most other 100 year old relevant then but not now names. I actually had a conversation with a couple people a work a few days about how sports teams should change their name every now and then to stay culturally relevant and modern.

Canaries is no different from Cardinals, Orioles, Eagles, etc.

I have Checkers in my league because the city the team is in has a race track and I've had Guardians before because the team was located in a city that had an old fort that guarded the city from Native Americans. I think names are all dependent on where they are coming from.

Last edited by ra7c7er; 05-11-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #54
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

As a ski mecca, I name my Denver team the Black Diamonds...
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #55
ink625
Major Leagues

Quote:
So many plural nicknames
That's just a personal preference of mine, but it's a preference that's almost 100% in line with most major american sports leagues:

MLB: All 30 teams have plural nicknames
NBA: 27 out of 30 teams have plural nicknames
NFL: All 32 teams have plural nicknames
NHL: 27 out of 30 teams have plural nicknames

That's 95% of teams from the "Big 4" of American Sports that have a plural nickname, so I'm just not understanding the criticism here.

Quote:

That's your opinion and you're completely entitled to it, but since it's an opinion so directly tied to personal tastes, I won't be bothering to defend my choices as "major sports team nicknames." However, as ra7c7er pointed out, it's all about persepective. With that in mind, what I will do, is attempt to defend the ones you singled out as appropriate for their respective cities:

Columbus Canaries: I'll admit, right off the bat no less, that this one wasn't chosen because of how well it fit. I chose it because of a nice logo I came across that had a canary wearing a baseball cap and sitting inside of the letter C. It also didn't hurt that baseball has a long history of using types of birds for nicknames, whether it specifically made sense for the city or not. Plus I thought it just had a nice ring to it.

Virginia Beach Beacons: A beacon is a lighthouse and lighthouses and beaches kind of go hand in hand. I thought the name Neptunes fit the city best, but a new independent league team has recently started using that name.

Indianapolis Checkers: I think the words "Indianapolis 500" and "Brickyard 400" easily explain this choice.

Mexico City Matadors: Bullfighting is a major part of the Mexican culture and heritage and Mexico City is home to the world's largest bullring.

Los Angeles Guardians: I think Angels is by far the best nickname for a baseball team in L.A., but since that's obviously been taken already I went with a synonym for Angel in Guardians.
If you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and will believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Last edited by ink625; 05-11-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #56
majesty95
All Star Starter

It may be minor league-ish, but the Denver Wake-n-Bakes should be on the short list. Or at last a weekend promo (Wake-n-Bake with the (insert team name) Sunday. If you have the really good stuff, you may even see flying Dragons playing Checkers with Monarchs riding Whales while Crusading for Libery against the Rebels.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #57
ink625
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
Personally to me I don't really consider anything to be a major league or minor league name. I do get the not wanting overly descriptive trying to be funny names. It's all about perspective. The only reason you (not saying you particular but I mean people as a whole) like the current names is because they've been around a long time. If a team in New York asked for team names today "Yankees" wouldn't even make the list. Same could be said for the "Red Sox" and "White Sox" and most other 100 year old relevant then but not now names. I actually had a conversation with a couple people a work a few days about how sports teams should change their name every now and then to stay culturally relevant and modern.

Canaries is no different from Cardinals, Orioles, Eagles, etc.

I have Checkers in my league because the city the team is in has a race track and I've had Guardians before because the team was located in a city that had an old fort that guarded the city from Native Americans. I think names are all dependent on where they are coming from.
Couldn't have said it better!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #58
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink625 View Post
That's just a personal preference of mine, but it's a preference that's almost 100% in line with most major american sports leagues:

MLB: All 30 teams have plural nicknames
NBA: 27 out of 30 teams have plural nicknames
NFL: All 32 teams have plural nicknames
NHL: 27 out of 30 teams have plural nicknames

That's 95% of teams from the "Big 4" of American Sports that have a plural nickname, so I'm just not understanding the criticism here.

That's your opinion and you're completely entitled to it, but since it's an opinion so directly tied to personal tastes, I won't be bothering to defend my choices as "major sports team nicknames." However, as ra7c7er pointed out, it's all about persepective. With that in mind, what I will do, is attempt to defend the ones you singled out as appropriate for their respective cities:

Columbus Canaries: I'll admit, right off the bat no less, that this one wasn't chosen because of how well it fit. I chose it because of a nice logo I came across that had a canary wearing a baseball cap and sitting inside of the letter C. It also didn't hurt that baseball has a long history of using types of birds for nicknames, whether it specifically made sense for the city or not. Plus I thought it just had a nice ring to it.

Virginia Beach Beacons: A beacon is a lighthouse and lighthouses and beaches kind of go hand in hand. I thought the name Neptunes fit the city best, but a new independent league team has recently started using that name.

Indianapolis Checkers: I think the words "Indianapolis 500" and "Brickyard 400" easily explain this choice.

Mexico City Matadors: Bullfighting is a major part of the Mexican culture and heritage and Mexico City is home to the world's largest bullring.

Los Angeles Guardians: I think Angels is by far the best nickname for a baseball team in L.A., but since that's obviously been taken already I went with a synonym for Angel in Guardians.
I like Angels for L.A. too but I always feel like the colors should be black and grey as in fallen angels. Then the them song for the team would be "Been to He**" by Hollywood Undead. Maybe I'm just jaded though. Got some experience with the shady side of L.A.

Have to say though I think it was funny that Hollywood Undead and Papa Roach came out with a couple songs talking about the dark side of Hollywood and then a bunch of bands and artists came out with rebuttal songs about L.A. and how great it is (if you're rich). But that's a whole tangent for anther forum.

Back on topic...

Denver Defenders has been said but it would be good for a natural rivalry with the Crusaders. I like doing that when making fictional leagues. Gives some natural backstory.

Denver Peaks I think has been said but it would be pretty good too. There are 200 named peaks you can see from Denver and Pikes Peak is a famous auto race in Colorado. Plus if you reach the peak of your career you're at your best. Kind of fitting for a sports team.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #59
Corbin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How about naming it for your famous Colorado brewery - the Silver Bullets
Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #60
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin View Post
How about naming it for your famous Colorado brewery - the Silver Bullets
Now THAT would be modern. I can just see a team doing that sort of thing for sponsorship in the not too distant future.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote