Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
majesty95
All Star Starter

Proper Setup to Avoid The Game Degrading?

Maybe I should spend my time in this forum instead of general discussion. Honestly, I forget this forum is here. I assume all historical players socialize in the general discussion.

I've tried two different historical set ups and each has caused the game to wig out because it did not like my settings. First, I started in 1914 and tried to keep the Federal League. But, understandably, there were not enough players to fill the additional teams. I tried shrinking the rosters a few players but that just upset the game more. Eventually I had to abandon my league as I figured it was too far skewed from how I envisioned because the game couldn't really handle what I wanted it to do.

Next, I tried to take over the league in 1969 and avoid free agency (keeping the reserve system in place). Again, the game did not like this. about 6-7 years after free agency was supposed to hit, 90% of the teams were over budget and could not make trades making it impossible to manage your roster (why the game can't release players or manage their budget in others ways is a different issue).

So, my question is, what is the "right" set up for historicals so that I don't waste anymore time setting up and playing a league only to have it crumble? Do I just have to create it using the wizard, leave everything the same, allow historical evolution and never change anything from real life?

I'm really frustrated because historicals are the only reason I but the game but I always wind up wasting my time every year when one of my changes eventually corrupts the process.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I tried to do the 19th century for years. This year I gave up. I have found happiness with OOTP by just starting in 1901, letting all of the automatic stuff happen, and concentrating on baseball rather than league structures.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

The games' options are optimized for "typical" setups. If you are going to skew from those setups you are going to have to experiment and do plenty of trial and error. It is a consequence of having a lot of options that were put in for specific reasons and not necessarily tested for sandbox use.

The game does a great job of simulating modern and historical baseball under the specific rules of those times. If you want to do something different it is usually possible, but will likely take some work.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
I'm really frustrated because historicals are the only reason I but the game but I always wind up wasting my time every year when one of my changes eventually corrupts the process.
Well, what you're describing aren't "historical" games, they're "alternative history" games. That's your biggest problem right there. If you keep the game's financial settings for 1969 but eliminate free agency, you're asking to get some odd results. The game's settings are based on the historical data, so the best way to play a historical game is to keep as close to the actual history of baseball as you can. If you want to depart from the historical script, you shouldn't be surprised if something unexpected pops up.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Majesty, as I mentioned in PM I had FA from 1901 and it totally messed with my league. While Pittsburgh was able to sign Babe Ruth to a 5 yr $250 K or so contract, it left them with no $$ to sign anyone else and Pittsburgh never finished over .500 til 1932.

i would have just added $$ to teams, whether it be for merchandise or media contract to help them out. Some of your trade setting might have had something to do with it also. Maybe reduce the Reserve Roster from No Limit to 25, which will also create some weird releases. If you have AAA have minor league FA & waivers. This will free up $$ for some teams.
When you had the FED league did you have the league automatically create FA or did they have a draft of fictional players? You could have also used a shared draft under League Association.
In my ABF league I have had the PCL since 1920, (1943 now) they have a draft and ABF teams can purchase the contract for a player. All the Negro League players I imported to be part for the 1920 PCL season all were bought by ABF teams. Buck Leonard was the last player of those 6 NNL players at age 40 and hit around .190 for the Texas Rangers. 550 HR approx in the PCL.
Make multiple backups so if something is off you can go back to Offseason, January 1st, start of Preseason, ST & OD to redo you league and make changes.
I am going to do a test MLB and see what happens with some of your settings. i will not control a team though, most likely. i will start with 1966 from Nolan's 1st season.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
majesty95
All Star Starter

I understand that the game cannot do everything every individual intends. I just wish it was more transparent about that. Even though I have played this game for 10 years, I don't play it as much as many of the long-time guys. I'm kind of just a more seasoned newbie.

With that, I open up the game, see the options, and expect to be able to use them. I think that is a reasonable assumption. McDonald's doesn't put items on its menu just for show or only offered as part of a Happy Meal. But that's what we get here. Hey, play the game your way, but if you change anything from default you better go test it for 40 hours or you might waste 100.

It is what it is. I get that there is a reason certain options are there, only for certain circumstances. My issue is that I wish Markus and Matt would spend some time idiot proofing it to some degree. Either block certain options from historicals or, at least, have a warning that pops up when you change them with maybe a link to the manual or a forum thread. It can be done. It would also go a LONG way to helping new and old users alike waste much less time creating what they want. In the end, that would probably make it more enjoyable overall for everyone.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

It would be nice if someone made a youtube tutorial for newbies for various setups. what works and what doesn't.

"Stay Strong"

Old 05-05-2015, 02:04 AM   #8
majesty95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
It would be nice if someone made a youtube tutorial for newbies for various setups. what works and what doesn't.
I might actually be open to that project if some vets wanted to help me put together an outline of what needs to be included and how we should lay it out.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I might actually be open to that project if some vets wanted to help me put together an outline of what needs to be included and how we should lay it out.
I'd say get with Lukasberge, Bigrod, Psstricket or perhaps Rchw, Biggio or deja bru. Forgot who has some goof youtube videos but there are several out there. raidergoo perhaps?

"Stay Strong"

Old 05-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

If all you're looking to do is keep the Federal League alongside a MLB setup, I can almost certainly set that up...

Actually, check that -- I just got the new version yesterday so let me get up to speed with the changes for you.

I did a lot of quickstarts the past few years on these types of things and they usually work fine... as long as you don't do anything that would obviously break (big money but no FA, FA but no money, stuff like that.)
Old 05-10-2015, 12:50 AM   #11
THEMURPH
Minors (Double A)

I would like that info as well if could post it here.
THEMURPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #12
dpd376
Minors (Double A)

One thing you could try is going into the documents folder and adjust the financial settings there. Make sure you back up the original file first. The same would go for any other era settings too. It's probably easiest if you use Excel or another spreadsheet program to edit it. Just make sure you save it as .txt file.
dpd376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #13
majesty95
All Star Starter

I gave up on the Federal League awhile back. I tried melting a few of the teams I created into real life but then there were more teams that real life players so it was watered down and the AI had issues with rosters.

My most recent was a 1969 trying to keep the reserve clause in place but eventually had to move to free agency bc players would't retire (and I didn't want to use player dev). Eventually the file got corrupted and I lost everything (yes, backup file too).

So now I've determined I have to stay as close to real life as possible or else I may "break" the game. That's fine. I can find a real world historical fund without having to creating outlier narratives.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So now I've determined I have to stay as close to real life as possible or else I may "break" the game. That's fine. I can find a real world historical fund without having to creating outlier narratives.
Why is it you seem to have so many problems when running the game yet many of us, namely myself have ran the setups you mentioned above without issues. I am not knocking you personally, i just just don't get it.

"Stay Strong"

Old 05-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
ohms_law
Minors (Triple A)

I'm obviously not majesty95, and I'd hope that he could speak for himself (if, and when, he sees this), but based on his comment that "there were more teams [than] real life players so it was watered down..." it sounds as though majesty is using the option to only have real life players available. In other words, he's trying to play a "replay game", but with additional teams from the Federal League.

It seems obvious to me why this would be a problem. If you keep the number of players constant, but increase the number of teams, then obviously you'll (quickly) run short of players.

With this in mind, I think that rather than asking "Why is it you seem to have so many problems", the better question is probably "why won't you use fictional players?" If people want a replay, then they should actually set up a replay, with all of the same teams in (generally) the same situations. If you want to play an alternative "what if" history, with the Federal League being more successful for example, then I don't see what the problem with using fictional players would be. If the Fed league had continued, there would obviously have been more people playing pro ball than their were in real life.

Last edited by ohms_law; 05-16-2015 at 09:28 AM.
ohms_law is offline   Reply With Quote